Matching Defintive Tech Sub w/B&W 602's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Dehardt, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

I'm wondering if anyone can provide me w/some advice. I have B&W 602's and the matching center speaker, and a Sony 30ES Dolby Digital receiver. I have the opportunity to buy the Definitive Technology Sub 80 for $150 from a local dealer.

Will this sub be a good match for my system or should I save my money and wait to spend $500 on an Infinity or one of the new B&W subs? I'd rather not spend $150 now only to decide in a year that I want a better quality sub. On the other hand, I've never owned a sub and I understand that it could greatly improve my setup - and the price is nice.

I have about $500 to spend right now and was originally planning on putting it toward a DVD player (Rote, NAD?). But now I'm thinking about going with the Panny RP56 and spending the balance on this sub. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

$150 for the DefTech sounds like a great deal! I would go for it.
    If you're handy, you could check out the $250 sub kit from www.partsexpress.com
    Not sure what it's called, but poke around.

3. Gary Dehardt

Gary Dehardt Agent

Thanks. I'm not at all handy, so I think I'll skip the kit...

The Definitive Sub may be too good a deal to pass up, but I'm just concerned that it might be too small for my 602's. I'd rather spend a bit more now rather than deciding after the fact to replace the DefTechs and upgrade. That said, I've never owned a sub so the DefTechs may well do me fine.

If anyone out there has any thoughts, I'd love to hear'em!