Matching Center for BW Matrix 802s

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SolomonP, Mar 30, 2004.

1. SolomonP

SolomonP Extra

We are unhappy with our current home theater speakers (Carver 5.1) and are looking to upgrade.

Our plan was to keep using the Carver dipole rears for a while (replace them with B&Ws eventually), use our stereo pair of B&W Matrix 802s for front left and right, and buy a center channel.

Herein lies the problem.... B&W never made a center channel for the Matrix series, and we have been told that the Nautilus series center channels would not be a good sonic match.

We listened to the HTM7 which was good, although still a bit brighter than the Matrixes. Our dealer (AudioFX in Sacramento) recommended going another step down the line to the LCR600 S3, which they told us was less bright than the HTM7 or Nautilus and would be a better match.

What do you all think?

I would like to spend less than $1,000 on the speaker, although if we have to go up a bit, we will. Luckily, I have a very cool wife, so aesthetics/waf really won't be a factor. We do, however, need a center-channel speaker (i.e., buying a third Matrix 802 won't work--it will need to go on top of the RPTV now and below the FP screen in a few months). To complicate things further, we really DO NOT want to sell the 802s and use the proceeds to purchase new fronts--we prefer their sound to that of newer B&Ws.

Electronics are as follows:
    Carver AVR-505 (85 wpc x5)
    Yamaha RXV-800 (used as preamp)
    Our listening is 95% HT/5% music, and we tend to use lower volume levels.

Thanks for your help!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would ask your dealer if you could take one home to try out and see how close the match is. By most accounts the 600 is a good speaker. I wouldn't step down to the 60 though. If you're not willing to move on your mains, I would bet the 600 is as close as you're going to get. Although, if you don't like it you could always try to pick up some other brands to try out, but most people don't have too much luck trying to timbre match different brands.

Unless you're extremely picky about the matching I bet the 600 will work out for you.

3. SolomonP

SolomonP Extra

Thanks--that's exactly what I was thinking about doing (and what the dealer offered).

I love the price on the LCR ($500), so if it sounds good, I'll be a very happy camper....