Matching B&W Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark Danner, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

Can you put a B&W system together accross different series? Like CDM 7NT's, LCR 600, and 601's? I am wondering because I can get a really good deal on a used pair of 7NT's but there is no way I can afford to have the CDM's throughout.

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I think it's okay to use a different series for the surrounds but the front three should definitely match. Ideally they all should but I know it's not always feasible. Try looking for a used CDM center on Audiogon.

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I agree. I especially wouldn't mix a LCR with the CDMs due to different tweeter placment/design. I've had both the LCR6 S2 and CDM1NT's mixed in my front soundstage and jumping (not much of a jump

4. Anthony~N

Anthony~N Auditioning

I agree, the fronts and center should all be from the same line. You can save a bit on the surrounds and buy a sub from a whole different manufacturer if you want. Don't skimp out on the center though because it's one of the most important piece.

My setup: B&W all around
    Fronts: CDM 7NT
    Center: CDM CNT
    Surrounds: DM600s3
    Subwoofer: SW 650

5. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Bob-N, what are you replacing the B&W's with if you don't mind me asking?? [​IMG]

6. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

Hey thanks guys. I ended up buying the 603's today along with 601's for the rear and the LCR 600. Not too bad of a deal. I got out of paying MSRP anyway. They took $150 off and threw in 150' of cable. When I move out of my town home I will probably add an SVS sub. I cant wait to pick them up!! [​IMG]

7. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a set of the DM604 S3s (Fronts), LCR 600 (Center), and DM602 S3s (Rear)...and I think the only thing I can say is....."wow." They definitely work very well together and the sound is great across the board, it definitely made my music/movie viewing experience a lot better! I saved about $800 off of MSRP because I bought them all at one time (was a tough choice because I only wanted the center and rears at once, then the L/R). But, I think it worked out for the better.

Hopefully soon here I can finish the room up where the HT will rest and really start to enjoy the "fullness" of the whole range.

-Dan

8. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Bob, I replaced them with ACI Sapphires (25th ann) and the upcoming Protege center. I'm keeping my 600's in the back until I can afford to upgrade to the wall mounted Emeralds. However, that may not happen as Xmas is right around the corner as well as property taxes and car reg fees for both of our cars.

9. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

I am interested to know what speakers you had before. I have heard some good things about B&W and I'm just trying to get a reference point. What amp are you using to drive them? Where did you buy them?