What's new

Matched Sub - Imortant or not? (1 Viewer)

BrianFan

Auditioning
Hi folks.

After much research I am finally putting together my home theater. I will be using B&W FPM 4's for the center and surrounds (this is a concession to the wife) and I'm wondering if it is important to use a B&W sub as well. My instinct is that it's not. It seems to me I can get a very good SVS or Outlaw sub for less than a perhaps poorer B&W sub(under $1,000). Other than needing some more time/effort to find the correct crossover frequency on an unmatched sub, are there any other issues or considerations I need to be aware of? The B&W sub that has been recommended for the FPM 4's and my room size is the ASW 675($899). Has anyone heard this sub? Does anyone have any recommendations between SVS, Outlaw and B&W? The system will be used for viewing movies and television, listening to music and playing video games - your basic all-purpose home theater :)

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It is not necessary to timbre match (or brand match) your sub to your other speakers. The sub does not operate in the same range as the others, so timbre matching is not really needed (or possible).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

There really is no such thing as a "matching" sub, and crossover is handled the same way regardless of which sub. Frequency response relative to your system will not be "off" because you get a sub from another manufacturer, nor will it be correct because you got a "matching" sub. Your room plays a large role in how a particular sub will sound.

I currently own an SVS and have previously owned an HSU sub. Both offer amazing value vs performance and both have excellent subs in that price range.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think you can go wrong with an svs but I am being drawn to the outlaw. I feel it is a bit more attractive than the pb-12 and has gotten stellar reviews. Chech out their website and click on product reviews. Everyone seems to gush about them.

www.outlawaudio.com

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
The Outlaw appears to start to rolling off 5 hz before the SVS. 20hz to 25hz is significant, but not earth shattering. With similar pricing, I'd go for the lower number.

As far as styling goes, they both look like big black boxes to me. ;)

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Eric,

The Outlaw's measured response is +/- 2dB, versus +/- 3dB for the SVS. I don't know where the -3 dB is for both subs, or where the -2 dB is for both subs. So, FWIW, the difference is something less than 5Hz...

LFM-1 Frequency Response: 25Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB
PB-12 +/- 3 dB 20 Hz-100 Hz

Oh, and some may get very passionate about sub brands.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Point taken. However, there is a viewable FR chart on the PB12 page. Though I was skimming through them, the only graph I could find on the Outlaw had it rolling off at 30hz. This was a Tom Nousaine review in Sound and Vision. I'm sure it's a good sub, I'm just looking at the numbers. Most potential buyers only have the numbers for reference as they can't demo these subs.

I'm well aware of some people's rabid affection for their particular sub brand. I've seen it cloud there perspective time and time again.

BrianFan

Auditioning
Thanks very much for the responses all. Now I just have to decide which sub to buy :). I'll let you all know how it works out.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks