Match made in heaven

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yogi, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Got my new B&K ref 7250 amp and hooked it up to my system. The other components in the system are a 3802 now used solely as a preamp. The main L/R channels are handled by a Proceed BPA2 and the other channels are now handled by the 7250. At first I was worried by the possible mismatch that might result due to two different amps in my system. The Proceed is very open and neutral with rock solid imaging and the B&K is very lush and warm with immense soundstaging. But guess what! I think they are the perfect match to my system. The Proceed gives me all the musicality that I need in my 2 channel listening (I am not a fan of multichannel music) and the B&K gives me the natural vocals and smooth soundstaging and surround effects. The thing I like most about the B&K is its natural presentation of the vocals. There is natural air and depth to human vocals from this amp. Maybe its the full bodied mid-range of the MOSFET stages. What ever it is I couldn't be happier.
    I couldn't resist sharing my feelings with fellow members. I think I have met my amplification needs for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be looking to upgrade amplification ever again. Unless, maybe, I win the lotto....[​IMG]
    Thank you all for listening.

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Sounds like a great system.

Very interesting about the B&K working out well. I never would have thought to do that kind of thing but now it seems to make a lot of sense.

I also agree that upgrading from the BPA2 doesn't make much sense. Anything past that stage of the game really starts to loose the performance/price ratio. The Proceed stuff is killer. I could live with it for the rest of my life.

Are you going to keep the 3802 or is that next?

-rob

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

[​IMG] Congratulations. I'm envious. As a two-channel fan myself, really like your idea of the Proceed. A lot of people think diminishing returns when building a system like yours. After all, you already have a very good receiver, but when I added my Parasound amp to my Onkyo, it made the whole system NEW, much greater and much better. When I added my Rotel pre/pro, two channel got much better and home theater exploded. I just get so happy hearing of great additions like yours. Every time I read something like your post, I experience the joy of the buyer vicariously, whether it be someones first system from Best Buy or someone who has made their system much more refined and able to SCREAM!!!

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Congrats Yogi. Enjoy the extra power, headroom and control.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The 3802 is what I have now. The 7250 ate up any money I had left for an upgrade so I am not going to upgrade for the next two years (I hope...more like I pray). The 3802 is an excellent prepro capable of competing with others in its class.

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

"I think I have met my amplification needs for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be looking to upgrade amplification ever again"
    Define "Ever Aain"! (LOL). Enjoy your new gear Yogi.

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

8. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Wouldn't a "match made in heaven" match?
    I could see it if you had one amp for two channel & different amp for multi channel. But the benefits of having non-matching amps in your system eludes me.
    Sorry to rain on your parade.
    But if it works for you, it works!

9. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

10. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Non-matching amps because I like the vocals from B&K more than the Proceed. Vocals just come to life with the B&K as if there is someone really in the room. With the Proceed they are excellent but the Proceed is more transparent than the B&K and as a result any flaws in the recording come out sounding flawed. Like for example the vocals in Harry Potter are recorded badly with a lot of sibilance which is quite irritating to listen to with the Proceed. But with the B&K they get colored just right to sound good. The B&K is more warmer and sweeter sounding and it colors the sound just like a classic tube amp, with midrange bloom and a rolled upper end. Hence the 'match made in heaven': Proceed - defined, powerful, ultra transparent with a rock sold image on a huge front soundstage and B&K - warm and smooth with a sweet and lively midrange. It doesn't get better than this for me.

11. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Yogi:

12. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

13. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Yogi:

I most definitely do like (and use) tubes. The properties you describe are associated with older tube gear, or those of poor quality. Quite frankly, I think SS gear colors the sound to a far greater extent than do tubes.

Larry

14. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

15. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Yogi: