What's new

Masters of the Universe (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
My local Best Buy didn't have it, I was going to pick it up with Final Fantasy, but alas, no such luck, but I don't have time to watch both tonight anyway.
It would be nice if someone with the disc would post impressions about video and audio quality.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just finished watching this. While the movie still stands up as a decent action flick, the transfer is a mixed bag.
There seems to be a slight vertical imperfection near the right side for the first minute or so, and every so often the quality is kinda bad. However, there are a few scenes that look damn good, so i'll bet this is the best they could do with the available funds.
Sound is servicable, but not great.
cheers!
Josh

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I had to go to the "big city" today for business, and I stopped in at BORDERS. They have "Masters of the Universe" for $14.99. My sons and I are going to watch it tonight.

Nathan A

Second Unit
This is one of Dolph's finest (better than The Punisher even.....). I'll no doubt pick it up no matter what I hear here.

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
Got it at Borders.... $14.99.
Had to ask for it, though (it was in the back)

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it at my local Fry's for $14.99. Didn't buy it, though. I was disappointed at how bare this disc is.

Carl C

Stunt Coordinator
It sports Director's Commentary, Trailer, and a decent (not great) 16:9 transfer.
What more did you expect from such an obscure "cult" title from Warner's catalog?
wink.gif

Bigtime He-Man and "Masters of The Universe" fans might be disappointed in the lack of a ton of extras, but for under $15 it's worth it if you dig the flick.
[Edited last by Carl C on October 24, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I had a lot of trouble finding this one. I tried Best Buy, but they didn't even have it listed in the inventory. It was on their website though. I finally found it at Borders for 14.99, but I have not yet had time to watch it.
[Edited last by Marc_Sulinski on October 24, 2001 at 11:45 AM]

Chris M

Second Unit
Looks like Calgary Canada had no problems stocking it since both Josh and I got it. I didn't have a chance to watch it, but I love such movies... i also own the VERY Bare bones Punisher :)
I wasn't concerned about the lack of extras, but the lack of 5.1 was kinda disheartening, since it's a sci-fi/fantasy action flick it definately coulda used one... oh well... still need to see it to see how it came out.
Chris.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I plan on picking it up this weekend during my trip to the city. Why would you expect a ton of features when the movie was a box office bomb and has no guarantee of sales short of a small cult following. We are lucky WB is even releasing this, as I am betting sales will be fairly poor
in the scheme of things. I'm amazed we even get a commentary track. No offense, but if you're a fan of the flick, there is no reason not to pick this up, and it makes no sense to expect them to go all out for a special edition when there would be next to no return on their investment. I haven't seen Warner licensing a bunch of titles to Anchor Bay, and considering the sales for this will likely be mediocre at best, I don't think another version will be coming in the future. Just go spend $15 and be happy.
BTW, dvd.ign.com has a review up with screenshots, though I warn you the reviewer isn't too kind to the movie itself.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
For what its worth, the Dolby Pro Logic soundtrack on this disc is pretty good. Its better than most half assed attempts at making a 5.1 track from an old 2.0 soundtrack. During the sequences where the cosmic key is being activated, the surround channel is quite active. Its no Saving Private Ryan or anything, but its adequate.
And to anyone else that is complaining about extras, like already stated, theres a commentary, trailer, and its anamorphic widescreen. You should be lucky enough that this movie was released at all. The transfer is inconsistent, and goes from just okay to quite good throughout the movie, but, I dont think anyone should complain, considering the price.

Nathan A

Second Unit
I was also really surprised when I heard they were releasing this. I'm just thankful they did at all which is why I said I'm picking it up regardless of what I hear here.
I'm excited. I want it now.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Since this may be purchased by a small group of He-Man cult supporters.
"..and considering the sales for this will likely be mediocre at best, I don't think another version will be coming in the future"
They may have only made a small amount of DVD's... so does this mean it's a "Limited Edition" ...hehehe!!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
For what its worth, the Dolby Pro Logic soundtrack on this disc is pretty good.
I agree. Played through Logic7 decoding, it has nice ambience and some good directional rear effects. (I suspect it would do as well or better through a DPL2 setup.)
The picture quality was far and away the best I've ever seen the film.
M.

bill lopez

Second Unit
A great buy for price on this dvd!
Color:B Video:B Sound:B Extras:C+
Courtny Cox looked so beautiful back then, I wonder why she had her face lifted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks