What's new

Master volume ? (1 Viewer)

DavidV

Grip
When I calibrate my speakers with the recievers test tones. The master volume readout goes to 00. When I listen to movie,music and watch TV I have the master volume set at -40 on average. Is this normal to listen to the master volume this low. I seens other people post that the are at like -15 or so. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal. I have a Denon 3600 reciever if it helps. Any help would be appreciated.

Brae

Supporting Actor
David, to answer your question: no really. When its about 10-11pm on a Sunday evening it will usually be quiet in my house. The little women seldom stays up later than this as she is an educator and rises with the sun--or before it.
My Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX does the same thing during its MCACC auto-calibration and sets the Master Volume to 0dB. During these late Sunday evenings I'll put the volume at -40 to -45dB as I can hear the regular broadcast television just fine.
Now, I have noticed that when playing a DVD its another story. First, I've noticed the sound seems lower, but this could be attributable to listening to DVDs in THX Cinema mode vs. the music/tv in DPL2 mode.
Also, it depends on the efficiency (i.e. sensitivity) of one's speakers. A more inefficient, or less sensitive, speaker will require more power to produce the same level of volume a more efficient speaker would.
Then still there are other factors that play into this volume-setting game, like room size and volume, whether the walls, floor and ceiling are dead or alive, layout symmetry, etc.
Heck, I know others with the same receiver that I have and with almost the same speakers and find ourselves listening to reference levels, we think, but at different master volume settings.
As long as you are not overload/shutting down your receiver or sending distortion to your speakers don't sweat the small stuff. :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Is this normal to listen to the master volume this low?
Yes. The volume you hear depends upon:

- How far away you are from your speakers/how big the room is
- The angle your speakers are at with respect to you
- How efficient your speakers are

If you moved that same equipment into a smaller room, you would typically listen at a LOWER volume. Put it in a bigger room, you would typically listen at a HIGHER volume.

So the numbers are UNIQUE to your system. Mine is different as is everyone elses.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks