master volume on the PC when outputting to receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_UXM, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Matt_UXM

Matt_UXM Auditioning

i've finally gotten fed up with my little computer satellites and moved my computer out into the living room so i could listen to music on some REAL speakers. but my question is this: what volume settings on the PC are optimal when listening to mp3's via my receiver? 50% master 50% winamp? that way it's a 'neutral' volume setting by the time it makes it way to my receiver?

thanks in advance,
    -matt

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Optimally, you want the volume going into the reciever to be lower so you have a cleaner signal being amplified.

The volume on winamp should be tied to the master volume in Windows. The one I'd do most of my adjusting with is the wav out slide. That controls all volume from files that originate from the hard drive.

There's no magic number to set it at since all sound cards are different. Play around with it. Start off at half volume on the wav out and master slides. Adjust until you can set the reciever volume to about the same level you do when playing other analog (I'm assuming you're feeding it an analog signal?) devices.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

for sure, you're not going to want to max out the pc output. that'll definitely send a distorted signal to your receiver.

i think if you put it no higher than about 80% you should be okay.

4. Matt_UXM

Matt_UXM Auditioning

thanks, guys... that's about what i thought, i just didn't know if there was an 'optimum' type setting.

-matt

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Not really. It'll depend all on your sound card. I've used 3 different cards in the past few months and they all play at different levels even when the slides are set the same in the mixer.