What's new

Master Killer 3 Pk collection from Tai Sing in September (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It looks like a repack of 3 Gordon Lau "Master Killer" films. Anyone have an opinion on the series, and Tai Seng's handling of them? I've never seen them, but gordon looked pretty great in the Kill Bill films, and the price is right (about $20 cdn).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not region free, and am cheap to boot, hence my interest in this set.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The first is a must have.

I couldnt find any info on this set,so Im guessing the 2nd film is Return of the Master Killer(Return to the 36th Chamber) and the 3rd is Disciples of 36th Chamber.

Heres reviews for those films....

http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/...xthchamber.htm

http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/...6thchamber.htm

As long as they arent P&S, I say go for it.Of course original language with subtitles is great, but I happend to like some of the old dubs for these Shaw Bros films. I grew up watching them, and the voices they had were really pretty good.

If this set turns out to be P&S, you can get a ok LBX version of Master Killer here...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

My brother has that version and I remember it being acceptable. Its non16x9 with shimmering and all,but was the best you could get before the Celestial Remasters.The sequels however are of appauling quality.

Hope the set is great and this helped.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Now I'm confused! this is the only description of the titles in the collection I could find, from DDD, they list it as 1:33, so I 'm guessing it's pan and scan, but the titles are completly different from what you named, Jonz.

The MASTER KILLER collection presents a trio of Hong Kong classics starring martial arts legend Gordon Liu with intense action sequences choreographed by the acclaimed Lau Brothers. In FISTS AND GUTS (1979), Liu uncovers a scheme to steal a valuable jade Buddha and fights his way through a series of powerful opponents and fiendish booby traps. In SHAOLIN DRUNKEN MONK (1982), the rightful heir to the Big Mantis Clan learns kung fu from an inebriated master in order to avenge his father's death. And in WARRIOR FROM SHAOLIN (1984), Liu find his newfound pacifism put to the test when he is forced to transport a valuable map across dangerous territory.
Amazon list's the following:
Product Details

Starring: Gordon Liu

Encoding: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries. Read more about DVD formats.)

Format: Color

Rated: NR
Studio: Tai Seng Entertainme
DVD Release Date: September 20, 2005
Run Time: 266

DVD Features:
Number of discs: 4

So are these the original titles for the films Jonz listed?
How are TAi Seng's DVD releases, their VHS stuff wasn't much to write home about, other than generally being uncut.

It's such a cheap deal at $20, but if the quality is PD like, and they are P&S on top of it, I'll probably skip it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Russell, no those are not the same titles. I did some research but couldnt find the set you were referring to, so I was guessing about the titles.

Fist & Guts doesnt sound familiar at all. I have seen Shoalin Drunken Monk and Warrior From Sholin - both a long time ago and dont remember either being anything special.

If you look at these 2 reviews below you'll see he reviews the Tai Seng versions of both films, and comments on their quality. So it look slike just putting these releases together in a set.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/...onk_052705.htm
http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/...romshaolin.htm

IMHO - go with the Letterboxed Master Killer release I linked to above while you can still get one. Its a Kung Fu classic, one of the greatest ever and at least you can see it uncut and in letterbox.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've cancelled my pre-order for this, IT seems like this is a tie in, as opposed to part of the series.

I'll deffenitly try to track down the mvies you suggest Jonz, although they aren't really a priority at the moment, the main appeal of the collection I posted about was the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks