Master & Commander DTS

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mort Corey, May 26, 2004.

1. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Recently bought and viewed this DVD which had the REALLY small DTS symbol on the package. I'm using a Denon 2900 player and 3805 receiver and have the default mode set to "auto" on the receiver so it picks the format that the DVD player outputs. On this one disk, the receiver is getting DD vs DTS. When I manually set the receiver to DTS I got no sound. The DVD player shows DD as well and there didn't seem to be any menu choices on the DVD to select sound format.

Did I miss something? Enjoyed the movie and the surround sound was awesome but I haven't run across this before.

Thanks

Mort

2. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I am not familar with your equipment. Have you returned the disc and tried another? Maybe try another movie in DTS to see if it is the disc or your equipment.

There is an equipment section here that would be able to help you out.

Its too bad. That movies DTS track is the best I have ever heard.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Look under "Language Selection". Once you manually select the DTS track on that menu, I'll bet the problem clears up.

M.

4. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    make sure your DVD players Digital output is turned on, and not set to downconvert the bitstream to PCM.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

"The DVD player shows DD as well and there didn't seem to be any menu choices on the DVD to select sound format."

Mort,
    From the main menu screen select "Languages". This will take you to the audio setup screen where you'll find the disc defaults to the second choice, Dolby Digital 5.1 English. Press the up arrow on your remote once to highlight DTS and press enter.

Unfortunately menus aren't standardized so you'll often find audio format selection under "setup", "audio", "languages", etc.

It's also common to have to hunt for commentary tracks as the studios can't seem to be able to decide if they should be in "languages", "setup", or "special features".

One thing to remember is that if a disc has DTS it will always default to something else, never DTS as a DTS bitstream can cause damage to speakers if someone tries to play it with a non-dts capable decoder.

6. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Aha....gracias. I saw the "language" menu choice and assumed it was for....well, languages. I did look under the other menus but must have just bypassed that one. It was pretty impressive in DD so I can't wait to try it in DTS (which has become my favorite)

Thanks again

Mort

7. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Mort, the dts track is stellar. Hope you don't have any pets to scare when the cannons go off!