What's new

MASTER BURN-IN THREAD: READ THIS FIRST! (And ask follow-ups here.) (1 Viewer)

Sorry I haven't read this entire thread. Is burn-in always going to be aq relatively straight line? I have a thick, faint black "line" on my Samsung LN-S3251D, but it's not straight, it's angled and the set sits directly on top of our center speaker as well as being next to some other speakers. I'm hoping that may be the cause? I'm gonna check it out later, can't right now. But I watch a lot of 4:3 TV with the black bars on the side and was thinking I had hosed my TV (maybe I have, but now I'm hopeful it's magnetic interference of some kind)

plasmasown

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Stephen PI said:
Panasonic recently reported that they had plasma burn-in solved.
Panasonic says plasma screen burn problem eliminated
I believe it. I have a 2007 Panasonic TH-42PE7U and am sorry to say that some would consider that it has been ABUSED. I've had it for 5 months and estimate that I have already logged over 2000 hours. I use this as my primary computer monitor as well as for TV, Xbox, and PS3/ Blu Ray.

How has this TV been abused?
  • Use as a monitor for hours at a time with windows left open. (lots of white and lines, frames, squares)
  • Playing Call of Duty 4 straight through for 6 hour sessions. (The oval at the bottom that shows ammo, etc... has a white frame and words taht are there 90% of the time)
  • Never had a break in period and have been running 90% contrast and sometimes higher. (Using vibrant mode)
  • Watched up to 4 bluray movies in a row with black bars
and YTD, STILL NO PERMANANT BURN IN!!! =)
Conclusion: People can tell me how bad I am treating my TV, how wrong I have the settings, etc... Everyone has their opinion of what looks good and I find myself tweaking the picture every 30mins to where I finally have found a sweet spot. There is minor temporary burn in after playing games/using computer but I just swap to fullscreen TV and 10minutes later, just like new.
So all in all, if you have a recently produced Panasonic Plasma, you can let your burn-in worries go especially because most of you don't abuse your TVs like I do.
To sum it all into one sentence, Panasonic TH-42PE7U burn-in? Temporary Yes, but Permanant NO. I wouldn't consider it solved for my TV, but the 2008 models might just be.
Hope everyone can enjoy their Panny Plasmas!!!

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin
2003-2004 Mitsubishi WS 65511- Burnt In black bars and TV logo at lower right
My brother bought one used. It looked great, $350.....then he got it home.
Now he notices the bars and TV icon FOX burnt into the screen whenever there is a bright background.
If he keeps it in Wide Screen mode, with black bars, he's alright.
It is the CRT's though, and all three of them. Can't even find CRT's and he's not going to replace them for this old of a set.
Another "slamdunk" reason to buy DLP or LCD. No Burn In.
...Burn In from hell!!!!!! :laugh:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
What about burn-in from items like Network Logos & the Sporting Event score bars? Should these be avoided early in the life of a new Plasma or LCD? THX.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
As was said way earlier in this thread, any and all, phosphor based displays will eventually burn in, lose contrast and brightness it's the nature of the beast it always has been, no whiz bang pixel shift will solve it, it will delay it. If it delays it five years, seven years, you will be ready for a new set anyway.
There are however, technologies that can't burn in...
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Yep sad but true, have a 4 year old 55 inch mitsubishi, been very careful its een set on the hd box to stretch. Problem is that I never saw coming, 4 by 3 HD on my kids channels and some commercials. Now can see faint burn in on both sides, hopefully lasts another year without bothering me and get something new. have an extended warranty but i am assuming that won't be convered.

lharris3571

Auditioning
Real Name
Laurie Harris
Hello,
I'm new here and if I'm posting in the wrong place please bear with me until I learn the ropes. My husband set up our home theatre and the pc it was running on has died. He doesn't have time to mess with it so I'm going to attempt it myself. We have a Sony VPH 1272 projector and were running it through the pc. We also have a Pioneer receiver. It is my understanding that you can't just plug the components into the receiver and run a cable from the receiver to the projector that you have to have an intermediate component (like the pc) to translate to the projector. Is that so and if so is there something that I can purchase to do that and what should I get (other than a pc)? Thanks so much!
Laurie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks