What's new

Master and Commander? (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
DVD Empire, Netflix and DVD Pacific, have Master & Commander scheduled for a May 13th release. DVD Planet and Amazon do NOT have it listed for pre-order. Has this been pulled yet once again by Fox?

Brad

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Well, if they yanked it to throw all copies in the trash and redo the release with all of the SD Collector Edition's meaty bonus features, I wouldn't shed a tear, but I'll assume you're not "one of those" kinds of collectors...

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I won't believe that the Master & Commander blu-ray disc has been released until it is physically in my hands.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This is already out in the "Region B"-area. Main specs:

"Deleted scenes (24 min):
-Weighing Anchor (4:17 min)
-Shipboard Life (9:49 min)
-Superstition (3:21 min)
-Dentistry (1:09 min)
-Articles Of War (2:44 min)
-Galapagos (3:00 min)

-"Historical and Geographical" Trivia track
-Pop-Up Map (track the geographical location)

Theatrical trailer
Bonus trailers

English DTS-HD Master 5.1
AVC MPEG-4 compression"

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
This has to go into the books as one of the worst handled titles, release schedule wise. The end result had damn better be worth it, with respect to PQ and AQ, which I suspect it will. God knows we're going to take the Fox-hit, so far as bonus features.

I wouldn't worry too much, so far as Amazon being the odd man out. It's the miracle of Amazon. At times you love them, at times you hate them. Their left hand seldom knows what their right hand is doing. I've given up emailing them with questions. It's like asking for assistance at Target.

I think it's far more significant that the other retailers DO show the release date.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually a little frightened by how good the DTS-MA track on this disc could be. If it ever actually comes out I might need to reinforce some walls. :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I hear ya there...the ship battle scene in the fog was my reference for a while. Absolutely STUNNING on plain old DVD, so I cannot begin to imagine what DTS-MA HD will sound like.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great. I've still got that Amazon "our sympathies for buying an HD DVD player" $50 credit that's burning a hole in my pocket.

Hate to use half of it on just one disc but it's a favorite movie of mine, so there you have it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just got the usual "delayed - new release date - please confirm" e-mail from Amazon. Confirmed the order, of course. :)

Jim, this one and, if you consider those, one or two of the Paramount BD titles for that coupon?

Cees

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Definately. Cloverfield or There Will Be Blood. $50 sure doesn't go a long way with this format.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not have DTS-HD MA capablitiy yet but the DTS core sounds awsume. I can not wait to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V995 to a Denon 3808ci or Onkyo 805 or 905. So I can listen to the full throttle DTS MA track. :D At this time I can only dream about how good it is going to sound. But the picture is good and the sound is awsume.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Cool deal, Dave! I'm trying to resist the urge to buy this title, but just may give in today despite the high price tag. Damn you, Fox!!! I've been waiting to hear this one for far too long, I just cannot wait any longer. I'm gonna have to make sure the wife is SOUND asleep before I bring the walls down. :D

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I did it...I caved and bought it today. Video is decent, but nothing spectacular...I'd give it a 3.75/5 stars. The DTS-HD MA audio track is unequivocably a 6/5 stars...it's just that good. :D I'm using a PS3 running through an Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro and I haven't heard a BR soundtrack on this system that's sounded this bombastic. You can read my further comments in the review thread at the link below:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/..commander.html

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
netflix was nice enough to send me a copy today.

dont know if i will buy this before it is under $20.
the dvd had great sound.

i'll have a chance to give this a spin tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jktemp
Recent bookmarks