What's new

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World delayed... again... (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Yea that pretty much sums up my feelings too. After so many delays I can't get my hopes up. As much as I love M&C and Patton my anticipation is severely tempered.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
AAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK. That's outa the way.

I ain't no dad. Damn their eyes, Fox better realize there's a whole buncha fangirls out here who have no interest in Patton or Mrs. Doubtfire (yuck, what an awful movie) but who are eager (VERY eager) to see handsome Brit and Aussie males in breeches and brass buttons.

I do have my SD edition but I can't wait to see this gorgeous film in hi def. The soundtrack will be a-ma-zing.

The studio marketed this film just as stupidly when it was in theatrical release, promoting it as Gladiator on the ocean, driving away the very arty crowd and women who would've liked it most.

However, I'm sure I will at least rent Battle of Britain and A Bridge Too Far. But I will OWN M&C the day it releases.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's all well, but be honest: "Master & Commander", isn't that a fine title to give on father's day?

Let's summarize Fox's delays:

(1) first batch; Fox doesn't explain, but the fanboys know all about it: the DRM has been hacked. Fox is commended for their scrutiny.

(2) second batch; Fox tell us that the discs are fine, but might possibly not play on a few players in consumer's homes. Foqc is commended for their QC and the fact that they announce a new date so quickly.

(3) third delay; Fucks now doesn't explain anything, just announce the title for a new date, far far away, together with a few new titles. They are commended for the other titles they mention and the fact that they chose Father's Day for the release.

Maybe, just maybe, however, it has been the same reason all the time: (a) the announcements were rather "soft" to begin with and (b) BD production line problems.

As for (b): Sony certainly must free slots to accommodate the deals they made with Warner (Assassination by a Coward, anyone?). I'm not saying they also punish Fox for secretly talking to Microsoft and Toshiba in that same period, but reportedly it has cost Sony some additional money.

I do hope the competition isn't over yet, but if it is: expect lesser and lesser HDM titles to be announced and released in the near future.
They wouldn't feel a need anymore to expand the BD production capacity that much and that quickly. Of course the consumer loses once more in that case.

Cees

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I hate, no loathe Mrs. Doubtfire, even before i myself was divorced. Terrible movie, hate it , hate it, with a passion. But yes, add me to the list of guys who would love The Great Escape or Magnificent Seven!

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
:laugh: Cees....thanks for starting off my day with some gut wrenching humor. Also, I'm sure there's a (c) in there somewhere that will reveal itself over time and will have something to do with your last paragraph.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
I see that Bill Hunt mentions the delay, yet again, of Master & Commander in his column at the Digital Bits and treats the announcement rather casually, too casually, in my opinion while at the same time, he features some obscure software information from some magazine because it shows HD-DVD in a bad light.
You know, it wasn't to long ago that he would have BLASTED Fox for treated their customers like 2nd citizens. One of his favorite targets years ago was Disney for releasing horrible, substandard titles i.e. Medicine Man, Rocketeer, etc. But that was when his perspective was that of a consumer and, now that he is "sleeping with the enemy" and even a spokeperson for the same consortium, transgressions such as announcing than repeatedly delaying titles are quietly overlooked.
You know it's unfortunate that so much energy is spent by fanboys debasing the "other" format because we have so much in common, mostly, the love of movies. The real enemy, folks, is the industry i.e. studios and some manufacturers, as it has been all along!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks