What's new

Master and Commander.......due April 20th....... (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The Russell Crowe film that was just nominated for 10 Oscars will arrive on April 20th. Official specs are unknown right now, but may include a HBO feaurette, sound design featurette, a featurette about the author, and about 20 minutes of deleted scenes. Being a Fox release, expect a 2-disc set with possible DTS and director commentary. An offical announcement should be made in several days.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=6169

from BBFC in the UK

here's things that should be on the dvd:

"Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World - On Sound Design Featurette " 20m 13s
"Master And Commander - The Far Side Of The World - Hbo First Look Featurette " 25m 0s
"Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World - In The Wake Of O'brian Featurette" 20m 47s
"Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World - Multi Angle Studies " 13m 32s
"Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World - Deleted Scenes" 22m 46s

but there may be more...

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Wier is apparently not fond of commentaries, although I think he did record one for the international release of Dead Poets Society.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I thought about seeing this movie in the theater and I didn't, so April can't come soon enough. I want to ee this movie.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Master and Commander was re-released into 1100 screens yesterday, so you should still have the opportunity to see it before the DVD arrives.

Joe Woj

Agent
Definitely go see this movie in the theaters. Hands down it was the best "sounding" movie I've seen all year, and Oscar agrees with me as it was nominated for best sound and sound effects editing :)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
If there is one title to get DTS on, this will be it. What a wonderful movie! We got the film back this weekend, and it's done fairly well. Check it out this week if you can at the local theatre, but make sure it is playing in a good sounding theater. This movie is definitely 50% sound!

AJG

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This was my favorite "stand alone" film of the year,
and this film really needs the big screen to be fully
appreciated. I plan to see it at least one more time
before it hits DVD and rarely do I see films in theaters
more than once. (LOTR being the big exception.)

See it in a theater, at least so you can some
"sense memory" of that when you pop in and enjoy
the DVD.

:)

Mark

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

Could not agree more. This is one the the greatest sounding movies in a long time. I would even go so far as to suggest it sounds BETTER than Lord of the Rings. I was sucked into it from the very begining, which is saying something as normally I do not notice the sound nearly so much in the theatre as I do at home.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I agree...this film was amazing in the theater...just a wonderful and throughly engrossing film. I even saw it twice!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I respect your opinion to not liking the film but I think you would be hard pressed to find a film fan that thought the film was poorly directed.

I can’t wait to watch this again, it was such an excellent piece of filmmaking that unexpectedly blew me away (no pun intended). I’m glad to see it earn so many Oscar noms this year, it truly deserves the recognition. I was hoping for Paul Bettany to sneak in for a supporting nod, but admittedly it is a crowded field this year.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I agree with the film being among the best of 2003, and it deserved its many Oscar nominations. I feel that this may be like 1999 Oscars, when Michael Mann's The Insider was nominated for 7 Oscars, including Best Picture, Director, and Actor. It was certainly the underdog that year, as is Master and Commander this year. Both films have Russell Crowe, an excellant director, were critically praised, and were exceptional films. But both underperformed at the box office (The Insider because of poor marketing and few people saw it, Master and Commander because its quite long and had a massive budget, plus competiton). But hopefully, it may be recognized for its outstanding technical achievements.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Usually when I watch the Oscars I already know what film should win best picture (and sadly, what film probably WILL win).

This year however I an completely torn. While I want Lord of the Rings to win simply because I beleive it was robbed the past two years, I think this year Master and Commander is genuinly deserving.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks