What's new

Master and Commander.....Details (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Odd thing about this movie. Many of us know it's probably a very good movie and yet we never got around to seeing it in the theater.

It seems to be lacking the little extra hook to get us all in there.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>A little harder of a read than I am use to with all the british vinacular but all in all its a fun read.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Okay, it sounds like Fox is putting out three versions now- the $40 SE and $30 OAR and full-frame versions. Apparently the early press releases -- or at least what was printed by DVDFile and the rest -- were wrong. As long as there's a cheaper OAR version, I'm happy.

And yes, I'll be getting the SE!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
David Prior, I have one insignificant question to ask about the Panic Room SE. Is tehre any footage of Nicole Kidman in the role that Jodie Foster plays in any of the featurettes on disc 2 and 3? According to imdb.com Nicole Kidman had to back out of the role (that Jodie Foster took over) after 18 days (of filming I presume) due to the knee injury she sustained during the filming of Moulin Rouge?

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't wait til April 20 to see it, so I saw it in a theatre. Wow, best movie I have seen in the last year, enjoyed every minute. As I read the first book in O'Brien's series (which was a great read), I had great expectations for the film and they were exceeded. I buy very few DVD's, but I will definitely be pre-ordering the deluxe edition of this.

derek

Second Unit
Just saw the film and loved it. Will be getting the 2 disc edition. A shame the box office was down but I"m sure DVD sales will be very good so hopefully those 'sequels' can be made.

David Prior

Insider

You'll see a shot or two but basically, no. I tried hard to include it to no avail. Legal clearances and all that.

Cheers,

David

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Man, both of those covers look really cool. I'm not sure I need the two-disc release seeing as I have tons of extra features on my current discs that I still haven't watched. But then again, the completist in me beckons for me to get the two-disc version, so I guess I have no choice... :D

Real Name
Anthony
I went to see MASTER AND COMMANDER in the cinema and I was really glad I did. The sound on the battle sequences was incredible, and the experience was totally immersive. There's still nothing that beats watching a good movie in a good cinema.

The packaging on that two-disc S.E is gorgeous. Does anybody know - Tom, perhaps ? - whether we'll be getting the same in R2UK ? If not, I'll be waiting a month and going for the R1.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure stores like Best Buy and Circuit City will have similar prices on the release day. I think this set will be worth the few extras dollars though.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I saw in Wal-Mart where they have their release list, and they have a release date of March 16th. I'm sure its a misprint, but can anyone confirm?

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Anthony - yep region two specs are identical as far as I can tell. The only slight question mark is over the deleted scenes, as they weren't mentioned in the UK press release. I should have disc one of the set on Friday though so I'll let you know how the DTS sounds ;) Can't wait!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Looks like even Fox is bending to the trend of not including trailers. And just why would that be?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I wish they would have included the trailer for this film with the DVD. The trailer for it was one of the better ones of last years films. I liked the inclusion of Brian Tyler's score from "Children of Dune" with the trailer which made it much more effective and exciting.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I could have sworn that I read somewhere that both theatrical trailers plus an international trailer were to be included on the disc. If not, you can find the teaser trailer on the Solaris DVD (2002 version) and the theatrical trailer on the free Best Buy Coming Attractions disc.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Count me as another who missed it in the theater (I prefer to just buy anything I have more than a passing interest in these days, since the cost is about the same and the home viewing experience generally better), but even if I were on the fence, I think David Prior's excellent contribution to this thread would have compelled me to blind purchase. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think it was largely a promotional problem. The early, early trailers had it feeling like an action epic, much like Gladiator. Seemed like a perfect fit for Crowe. But the closer it got to release, the more the trailers took on the feel of some literary classic. Not surprisingly, the buzz died down to a murmur. Probably didn't help that Crowe became a dad (how macho is that?) and got all goo-goo ga-ga on the talk shows while he was supposed to be promoting the film.

For people looking to get the DVD at a good price, consider Columbia House. They've got it up for pre-order right now at $19.95. Use that to fulfill an account and you're looking at about a $7 per disc average. (I assume David isn't adversely affected financially by where we choose to purchase??)

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks