What's new

Master and Commander.....Details (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
After seeing Lost in La Mancha its probably better that we don't even mention this apparently cursed adaptation. :frowning:

ace peterson

Second Unit
This is a blind buy for me. I am glad to hear that it is being released in April. I thought it would be a summer release.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I just saw this movie for the first time this weekend. Wish I had seen it earlier. I cant wait for this DVD, that for all the info David.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
This tied as my favorite film of last year (ROTK was the other). It even got me to pick up the Post Captain, the second book in the series, and start reading something other than sci-fi or fantasy. Can't recommend this movie enough even as a blind purchase.

Chris S.

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Get a load of the artwork for the two disc'er. Retail is $39.98 by the way:

If you want to see the single disc artwork, I've posted that over on our site. Don't wanna use up all our bandwidth on here if possible ;) Can't wait for this one now - good work David!

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Wow, that is a beautiful looking two-disc set! And it includes a map! It does have the usual big celebrity face on the cover, but Russell is striking such a dashing pose that I don't mind.

This is an absolute must-buy for me, as this was my second-favorite movie of the year (ROTK was first). I'm sorry that more people didn't give it a chance. Those who buy it blind will not be disappointed. I agree with Mr. Senger that it was a thrill having two beloved book series of mine coming out as great movies at almost the same time. Along with Kill Bill, these two films made the late fall movie season a joy. I feel a little sad that the rush is over now, but at least I love classical themed movies and have Troy, The Passion, and Alexander to look forward to.

A big thank you to David Prior for providing so many details. It really adds to the forum when those behind the scenes get involved.

CharlesD

Screenwriter

:eek:

Can't wait to get this DVD, even if it is twice as expensive as it should be.

Chris S,

What did you think of Post Captain? I would reccomend that new O'Brian readers start at the begining of the series.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Mr. Prior, thank you for providing such insight into the preparation of this DVD. It's a rare treat to have this kind of information shared and I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate your time.

I did not see this movie in the theatre but I am anxiously awaiting it on DVD.

Regards,

N

Eric Estrada

Agent
This looks to be one of the BEST DVDs of the year. I will pick this up come April 20. Hopefully the video and the audio hold up. Thanks guys for all the info.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, so far this is going to be one of the best releases this year. A great film, DTS, and a generous helping of extras already make this into a first rate set. Plus that cover art and packaging is kick ass.

The film may not have been the box office hit it should have been (it's hard to top a $150 million budget, despite how great the film is) but Fox didn't see it that way it seems, and opted to give it a stellar release. Kudos to them and David Prior.

David Prior

Insider
Josh, to answer your questions without getting too far off topic:

Whenever anyone asks me what my favorite of my own discs is, I always say whichever the most recent one is. That's not just a glib one-off to avoid the question, it's because the most recent one is the one you're most steeped in (and have the least objectivity about, too). So right now, Panic Room and Master and Commander are my favorites. Very different approaches, very different films by very different filmmakers; the Panic Room DVD is all about dissecting the monumental amount of craft and technical achievement that went into the production, where M & C takes a decidedly more literary approach. I'm pretty sure, in my un-objective way, that they both work really well.

Cheers,

David

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Mr. Prior. Were you ever considering releasing a 3 disc Master and Commander? Seems like you had enough material for it though.

Also, now that Panic Room is being released as a 3 disc SE (Black Hawk Down was also released as a 3 discer as well), can we expect more of this? Or will these releases be the exception rather than the rule?

Can't wait for the DVD though. Beautiful artwork! And, I shouldn't even mention this, I haven't seen this movie. But I'm looking forward to it though.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Looks great.

$39 for a two-disc set seems a little steep though. :)

David Prior

Insider

I think it will most likely remain an exception to the rule. A third disc is exponentially more expensive, not just in added authoring and manufacturing costs, but producing enough supplements to justify it. I'm not sure whether the studio would have been open to 3 discs for M&C or not, but it never came up because the schedule barely allowed for two discs as it was.

Cheers,

David Prior

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
The single disc is being released fullscreen only...that means this will probably be the only way to rent the title for those of us who don't want to cough up 40 bucks on a blind buy.

Fox said they were dedicated to OAR but they treat it like the red headed step child by not labeling the side of the disc it's on and now this.

I have no doubt that the two-disc set is great but I'm not blind buying it and I'm definitely not renting the fullscreen version. Maybe someone will get the two-disc but I really doubt it.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
The art work looks fantastic. I won't think twice about the $40 retail because of my love for this movie and the books. The price is a little surprising, though.

>>What did you think of Post Captain? I would reccomend that new O'Brian readers start at the begining of the series.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this movie in the theater and loved it-- looking forward to seeing it again.
Can't wait for this DVD. And for anyone who has the slightest interest in this subject and/or genre, I can unreservedly recommend purchasing blind. Russel Crowe is terrific in this role. It's great to see an intelligent swashbuckler film.

Thanks for all the info, David Prior, and for the effort you've put into this production. You've whetted my appetite for this disc even more!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks