1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

MASSIVE problems with Denon 3802!! HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Maher, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

My new Denon 3802 just came today, and it's atrocious! It has SEVERE problems! First off, a constant hiss comes from the left speaker. It's volume is constant, regardless of the volume of the receiver. Secondly, the remote WILL NOT access the setup menu at all. Thirdly, the surround sound will not function whatsoever, I can only get stereo sound out of the receiver. I checked all my connections three times over and they are all fine. I read through the manual and the Trouble shooting guide to no avail. Additionally, the hiss is present if I hook up another speaker to the front left channel. Is my receiver defective, or am I doing something really wrong? Needless to say, I am very upset at this development. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Unplug everything except the two main speakers.

Then select tuner from the front panel and listen in stereo mode. Start out simple and see what happens?

Next hook up CD player so on and so forth adding a single component at a time.

Also check, double check and even test with a different pair the speaker cable.

Still get a very loud hiss with just a tuner or CD play on both inputs in stereo and direct mode? Then I'd say something is really wrong with the receiver.

Also check the batteries in the remote and ensure you are in "amp" mode by checking the LCD screen.

3. Tom_Maher

Alright, the hiss is NOT there when run in optical mode for PCM and DTS. In EVERY other analogue mode, with NOTHING hooked up, the hiss is apparent in the left speaker only. It is the same sound and loudness (almost like white noise) on every setting (except the two digital ones mentioned above). The hiss is also there in the same analogues modes when something IS hooked up. This is really driving me crazy. Thanks for the help though.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

How loud is the hiss? loud enough to hear from your listening position?

Any electrical cables or power or antennae near the rear of the receiver? Near the speaker cables?

5. Tom_Maher

Loud enough to hear from listening position, (about 8 feet or so) and its white noise sounding, so it wouldn't be intereference, I also hooked up other speakers to left channel and moved them around, the hiss is constant. I am curious as to why its so much louder on the analogue settings though. I think I'll just call 6ave.com and arrange for it to be replaced. Thanks for the suggestions though.

6. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

send it back !

7. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Have you checked to make sure the level setting for the front left isn't all the way up?

8. Tom_Maher

Unfortunately, the remote doesnt function enough to even access the speaker level settings, so I am unable to check that. But, I have to decided to just send it back rather than agonize over how to attempt to fix it. Thanks again for the suggestions though.

9. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Return it.

10. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

Is the receiver maybe stuck in the speaker calibration mode for the left channel? Try resetting the unit, I think you can do this by unplugging it for a couple of minutes.

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The Denon's have a method to perform a full reset on the unit. A few minutes will not wipe out the operating modes (it holds it's settings during power outages).

12. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Were you ever able to get the onscreen display up?

Do you run test tones to see if all channels had a good connection?

I know you have a replacement on the way but I just curious if were able to get into OSD.

13. Tom_Maher

Nope, I was never able to access the OSD, despite following the manual's instructions to the letter and trying everything out in the Troubleshooting section. The hiss, I found, increases in loudness DRAMATICALLY after the receiver goes past 00, up to the max of 18 (this also introduces the hiss into the front right speaker too). I did manage to get surround sound working for Black Hawk Down, however, and the receiver, even with the hiss, still had much better separation and quality than my old Pioneer (I didnt think I'd be able to hear a difference on my old Sonys [SS-AV44s mains, matching surrounds and center]). Oh well, I can't wait to hear the Denon in full glory once the replacement comes, and it should sound unbelievable with new speakers!.

14. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Tom,

just curious, what model # was your old Pioneer you had before the Denon 3802?

cheers,

--tom

15. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Tom,

Sounds like you need to return that, and get a new one....

16. Tom_Maher

The Pioneer was a VSX-D309, circa 1999. That was my first DD 5.1 and DTS receiver, I had previously been running a Sony receiver with only Pro-Logic (which was perfectly fine for my mostly VHS viewing habits then) and even a relatively weak receiver such as that was a massive upgrade. The sound quality was fine for my needs, but at 60 watts per channel, it was a bit underpowered. The Denon should provide ample power for my setup now, I'm sure[​IMG].

17. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Tom,
    I have that Pioneer model too. It's now in the bedroom doing radio and cd playing duty. I actually replaced it with another Pioneer (811S) but was curious about your comparison between the new Denon and the Pioneer you had. Hence the sort of unrelated question. [​IMG]
    $700 for the Denon 3802 seems like its too good to be true (I'd almost contemplate getting it if I could find a home for the 811S [​IMG] ), so I hope you can fix your problem or get an exchange fairly easily.
    cheers,
    --tom