What's new

Mass media storage options (1 Viewer)

chalkie23

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting, so hopefully i go ok.

Over the past few years i have brought a number of Lacie LaCinema 2TB media players, some of which are still going good and some that aren't.

What i would like to do is upgrade my media players to one large multi room source. Instead of having 2 x 2Tb players in the kids rooms and 2 x 2 Tb in our living room i want to go 1 mass storage with i guess ethernet connections or some other way to the TV / Amps.
Ive been looking at the Lacie 5big NAS Pro Is this something i can look at or should i be looking at something different.

Im looking for a storage solution that can be access in multiple rooms on multiple tv's/amps for music, movies, pics etc.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Probably looking for something with about 10-20 TB storage. Details of equipment required for what I'm trying to do would be great too.

Thanks

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
I'm going to purchase a 4 drive external raid enclosure which can connect to usb3 or esata and connect it to my router. This way all network connected devices can access stored media.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
A NAS will help. You'll still need a media streamer at each location unless you plan to use DLNA. (And DLNA has a lot of limitation, trust me as I'm using it now.)

I have a QNAP 420, which is basic. But I wish I had gone with the 469L as it has an HDMI port and runs XMBC, so at least at one location you have a direct feed to your TV. (I didn't because at the time I didn't have the money to splurge.)

http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-469L-4-Bay-SATA-3Gbps/dp/B008TTX4XO/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1414770826&sr=1-4&keywords=nas

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Faced with a similar situation I ended buying a DROBO 5N and bought WD Red 3T and 2T drives to populate it. The advantage of this unit is that it provides for backup automatically so that if one drive goes bad, you can exchange it for a new one and the data will be copied to it automatically. I have my iTunes library here (over 5,000 films and over 12,000 songs) and can access it via Apple TV's throughout my home. Check out the Drobo site for details.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
I'm not sure what features your router has, but my Asus + this 4-drive RAID box will do everything i want/need, and it's pretty inexpensive to buy and populate with 4TB drives: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YFHEAC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XXMDIFC22AM7&coliid=I1BDBOJPAFBQIO

You can set the RAID configuration such that 2 drives are mirrored as backups, but that of course would only give you effectively half of the total hard disk capacity.Raul, I may end up checking out that Drobo if I need more space - though right now I'm barely over 1TB of stored digital media (I watch movies on blu ray - yes call me old fashioned).

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
kalm_traveler said:
I'm not sure what features your router has, but my Asus + this 4-drive RAID box will do everything i want/need, and it's pretty inexpensive to buy and populate with 4TB drives: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YFHEAC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XXMDIFC22AM7&coliid=I1BDBOJPAFBQIO

You can set the RAID configuration such that 2 drives are mirrored as backups, but that of course would only give you effectively half of the total hard disk capacity.Raul, I may end up checking out that Drobo if I need more space - though right now I'm barely over 1TB of stored digital media (I watch movies on blu ray - yes call me old fashioned).

I watch movies mostly on Blu-ray also. What I was referring to in my earlier post is my large library of DVD's I have. These are not Blu-rays which is what I'm buying 95% of the time now. Of course, if I have a Blu-ray + DVD como pack I'll digitalize the DVD using Handbrake and send this file to my Drobo/iTunes library.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Raul Marquez said:
I watch movies mostly on Blu-ray also. What I was referring to in my earlier post is my large library of DVD's I have. These are not Blu-rays which is what I'm buying 95% of the time now. Of course, if I have a Blu-ray + DVD como pack I'll digitalize the DVD using Handbrake and send this file to my Drobo/iTunes library.
That's not a bad idea! I've just been giving the DVD's to my step-brother because I'll never watch them and his "TV" is his 27" computer screen.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I use mediabrowser on a win8.1 box running flexraid. I just topped 100tb online this last week. I archive absolutely everything I buy. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks