What's new

Masking Panels (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Just made some really cheap but effective masking panels for my 1.85:1 screen.

Since my screen is a 1.85 screen, I wanted to enhance any 2.35 movies by masking off the non-film image top and bottom with some masking panels.

I made them out of styrofoam insulation from HDepot.
I cut two pieces the length I needed for the top and bottom, painted them flat black and used velcro to attach them to the screen border area.

I used them last night for the first time and wow what a difference they made. The viewing image was so much more enjoyable to watch. And the bars, which were once on the black/gray side, are now black black. All you see now "is" the film image in the middle. It just enhances the movie so much more.

This is about as cheap of a panel as you are going to make.
One day I hope to upgrade to a Stewart Filmscreen w/electric masking system. Nice!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Until then though, I will surely enjoy these until then.

Anyone , make some panels similar to this and did it make your movies much better to watch after that?

thanks
troy

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Troy,

After reading - and scoffing at - many threads praising the use of black mattes, I finally thought What the hell? and decided to make some myself. HUGE difference on my measely little 27-inch TV. Will never go back.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
James,

That is exactly what a friend of mine said. After you try masking panels out you will never go back to not using them.
For such a simple thing, it does so much to improve your picture. I've known about this for a long time and couldn't wait until my room was finally finished so I could use them myself.

Appreciate you .02 cents!

Later
troy

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I have been putting off doing masking panels for my screen. I have the protrim on the frame, so I hate to use velcro. I was thinking of making a black "velvet" sleeve to fit/slip snuggly over the top and bottom of the frame. My screen is 106" 16x9 screen, so it wouldn't be too cheap, but I think it would improve the imagine of my LCD projector. Kevin Miller (partner with Joe Kane and contributor many HT mags) is taking his ISF calibration tour to KC next weekend. He'll be calibrating my FP,so I'll ask him about different "home made" options.

Ron

PS: I'd love to see some pics of what you've done

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks