Mask of Zorro Special Edition vs Superbit.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rob kilbride, Sep 1, 2003.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    Is there enough improvement in audio and video quality of the Superbit version to justify missing out on the commentary on the Special Edition? Right now Circuit City has the SE for $12.99 whereas Best Buy has the Superbit available as part of a 2 for $20 deal. Decisions, decisions!

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Ultimately, it comes down to your love of commentary. Good one on Zorro SE. If you don't? Go with the SB.

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The superbit of Mask of Zorro appeared to use the same video transfer as the SE, and the same audio. The video was only marginally better, and without a larger display, you may not see any real difference in video between the two. If you really want the commentary, get the SE. The superbit isn't really much of a factor on this title.

4. DereckH

DereckH Auditioning

Go with the Superbit, the level of detail is better than the SE.[​IMG]

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

However if you like the extras, the SE is far from a slouch in the video department. It all depends on the size of your display if the added breathing room when doing the compression will make a difference. Personally, I stuck with the SE and haven't been disappointed. YMMV.

6. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately I had an unexpected expense today and may not be able to get either! Here's hoping though.

7. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

I've seen both and visually the SUPERBIT is the way to go! I noticed an immediate improvement in picture quality and definite detail. Audio wise it's no difference!

8. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

Wait, wait, Best Buy has a Superbit in a 2 for $20 deal?!?! What, dare I ask, is the other disc? My local BB has been carrying the Superbit of Zorro for $24.95 all by its lonesome, but with this deal in place I may have to head out to the store unexpectedly in the next day or two. Or the next hour or two. But I'd like to know what the other disc is, just in case I should head out there right this minute ... [​IMG] I have the SE, by the way (and I used to have the movie-only release), but a few on-line reviews and comments have convinced me that the Superbit is the way to go. I noticed definite improvement (aside from EE, blech) on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon at 32" (component, Avia calibrated, anamorphic) and, I believe, a greater sense of detail in The Patriot (where I tossed disc two of the SB and replaced it with the original SE disc -- now I have the film with commentary, the film in SB, and the supplements all in one package ... which, hey, is a good thing, and the same would work for Zorro for those who'd like to buy both and don't want two cases on their shelf), so I'm sold on SB. But I've been holding off on Zorro in the hopes a deal might come along ....

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    There's a whole list of titles to choose from in the 2 for $20 deal at Best Buy. I picked up MoZ Superbit and Taxi Driver SE, myself. If someone has not already listed all of the titles in David Lambert's "weekly round-up" thread in the "Coupons & Bargains" forum, I will post them there myself. I'm pretty sure it was a clerical error on Best Buy's part as all of the other titles are normally $15 ($20 MSRP) titles like the recent markdown of the non-superbit MoZ SE.

Regards,

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Bill,
    Did you find out what this two for $20 is about? This is a movie I have been meaning to pick up and if it is only $20 for 2 movies, I will definately buy it. Heck, Superbit titles at my local BB cost $22.99 each.
    Rob,
    Tell us what the other movie is. Is it a Superbit title?

11. Bill Burns

I coulda just checked Coupons & Bargains, but I'm too lazy for that with Rob already discussing it here! [​IMG] However, Rob hasn't posted again, so I went ahead and checked it out. Thanks to Ken for pointing to the thread title to look for, and here's a direct link for Jeff and everyone else (it's post #51):

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...6&pagenumber=2

[​IMG] Alas, Zorro's the only Superbit, but there are a few titles on there of interest. I may bite ($20 is, again, less that Zorro by itself! Or at least it was the last time I checked the shelves)*.

* (UPDATE) That's what I get for reading the e-mail update abbreviation instead of the full post -- Ken already pointed out that this may be a clerical error, explaining the presence of the Superbit among so many "normal" releases. It's pictured in the ad, though, not just listed ... I wonder if copies weren't moving? I believe BB reduced the Superbit of another title (possibly Crouching Tiger) quite a bit not long after I bought it at the higher price. Zorro is a Deluxe title, though, so I'm guessing Ken may be right. And Doug, below, is right -- the DTS track is a nice draw as well. All Superbits offer DTS (even From Here to Eternity! Heh. No, seriously).

12. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Don't forget the DTS track on the Superbit. Myself, I prefer the DTS over commentary but I wasn't a huge fan of the film to begin with.

It is a steal for $10.

Doug

13. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The Mask of Zorro - Special Edition does have DTS audio.

The first disc has the film presented in 16x9 with DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, and commentary. The second disc has the film presented in 4x3 "modified to fill standard television" with DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, and commentary. The second disc also has the 45min documentary "Unmasking Zorro," deleted scenes, music video, and promotional galleries.

The Mask of Zorro - Superbit drops the commentary from the first disc and the "modified to fill standard television" version from the second disc. Columbia TriStar even kept the same second disc artwork from the special edition for this Superbit release.

14. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

My bad, I didn't think Columbia/Sony did seperate DTS discs (except for Men in Black).

Doug

15. Bill Burns

My bad as well, Doug. I didn't check the box, and it's been a couple of years since I last watched it (anticipating, as I do, the near term purchase of the SB). Thanks for clearing that up, Rutger. [​IMG]

16. rob kilbride

Rob Kilbride
    Sorry I didn't post the deal right away but I usually do my posting at night. I was hoping to get more of the 2 for $20 deals but looks like I'll have to settle for just Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal which I picked up Monday. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll pick up the MoZ SE at CC fro $12.99. If I'm very lucky I might be able to pick up the Superbit MoZ with another, probably Donnie Brasco but I kind of doubt it. Home theater is no cheap hobby!

17. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Yea, hell of a deal for Desperado SE & Mask Of Zorro SB(2 disc) =$20. Call it the Banderas 2-Pack!! [​IMG]

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

19. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Doesn't Desperado have a Superbit version as well? I remember it being one of the first DVD's I watched and the audio on it was downright awesome. Does the DTS on the Superbit improve on the DD5.1 track on the other release?

AJG

20. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Bill I'm afraid those of us in region 2 can't replace one of the discs in The Mask of Zorro Special Edition because here there is only one with the widescreen presentation, documentary and commentary. Ditto The Patriot and the picture quality of both films seemed fine to me but I'm not watching on a widescreen TV or anything that would probably make any minor flaws more obvious. So to retain the excellent documentary and commentary on Zorro I need to find some more (rapidly evaporating) storage space. I don't know if I like these movies enough to do that but I might be interested in the Superbit of From Here To Eternity. Has anyone seen this ? The regular release is alright but I wasn't only disappointed in the transfer but also the commentary track and other extras.