Mask Of Zorro: Special Edition, quick review

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Anderson, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The Mask Of Zorro is one of my favorite movies, so I was thoroughly pleased to get my copy of the special edition in today. Luckily, I was able to sell my original version to a friend last month. All of the following comments are regarding the widescreen disc, as I refuse to sully my DVD player with disc 2's fullscreen hackjob. Here's my breakdown:
    SUPPLEMENTS: The two deleted scenes are interesting, but probably best left out of the movie. The featurette is decent, but still mostly promotional in nature. I am very happy to have the music video, although for some reason the level on it seems incredibly low (as in I had to turn to +7dB from reference to get it sounding decent -- dialnorm perhaps?). I listened to a bit of the commentary track, and it was interesting enough that I'm sure I'll end up listening to the whole thing.
    VIDEO: I see very little difference between this and the original release, although it does seem like black level and shadow detail were a bit better on the SE.
    AUDIO: The DD 5.1 track on the SE seems to be clearer and more defined than the original version, which is odd because the original was already one of the best sounding discs available. I can't be sure, but perhaps the DD track here is at a higher bitrate than the original. While I don't want to start a DTS vs. DD debate, I will say this: To me, the DTS track on this disc has a more enveloping feel to it and transitions more seamlessly between channels. Luckily, you don't have to go back to the menu to change audio tracks, so I was able to ping-pong between the two for comparison, and the DTS track really brings out the music and effects with more transparency. Either way, both the DTS and DD tracks retain the hellacious amounts of bass energy present in this mix, and either will please.
    OVERALL: An excellent disc. While it may not be worth switching from the original version for most (since it is already excellent), the supplements and DTS track made this a worthwhile upgrade for me.
    (Reviewed on Onkyo TX-DS595, Polk Audio R10 mains/R10 surrounds/CS175i/PSW350, Panasonic DVD-RV31, all calibrated with Avia.)

2. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

Thanks for the review. Of all the titles released today, for some reason the B & M's out here did not have this or Mad (x4) World. Still looking for them.

3. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    This came out today?!?!?!?
    I have been holding off on buying the original disk because I had heard about this SE... this is an awesome movie I can't wait to buy!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    David,
    Just checked Amazon, they have the street date as Sept. 25th.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Hey... I was honest... I told the B&M I got it from that it wasn't supposed to street until the 25th. She let me have it to shut me up about my Quigley Down Under never coming in. Heh...

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  7. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

How many trailers for the film are included? There were at least 4 different trailers for this film. One ran almost5 minutes.
    Are the trailers anamorphic.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

8. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Thanks for the review. Amazingly none of the major websites seems to have a review on this release. I was waiting on a review as I'm considering re-purchasing this title.

9. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Thanks for that nice little review.
    It is hard ot imagine either the DTS or Dolby Digital tracks sounding better than the original, but that is good news to hear.
    This is one of my favorite movies of 1998, and the rumor is that the sequel may go before cameras by mid next year.
    Regards,
    Dan

10. YANG

YANG Second Unit

The region3 release is already in SINGAPORE for more than a week...without DTS.

11. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

12. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Just curious about the case. Is it the double alpha style like Columbia Tri-Star/Sony used with Glory or the slimmer case used for Cast Away? Thanks.
    ------------------

13. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

yea, i'm also curious what case it is in, seeing as how i accidently sold my sister's old copy and i am trying to replace it without her noticing-she never really watched it anyway, that's how... [​IMG]...
    ------------------
    [​IMG][email protected]

14. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

The case is the same as CAST AWAY and GLADIATOR.
    Pieter
    ------------------
    Witness my BoomRoom. Updated Sep 17.

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    For those that did not check out the original, this is one great film and one great presentation, and a jewel of a DVD when it comes to presentation. Buy it.
    orangeman
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1

16. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

A quick question regarding the SE's soundtrack level. On my system, the previous disc's level seemed much too high for comfortable playback at reference, even with THX engaged. Can you tell if the soundtrack has either been re-equalized or its level softened on the new release?

17. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

Question: Is disc two the same as disc one except it has a pan and scam version? And if so, why didn't they just release two seperate discs instead of making us purchase both?
    ------------------
    "They're all gonna laugh at you!"

18. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

John,
    Go over to DVD Emipre and take a look at the back cover of the case. It looks like the only thing on the 2nd disc is the Fullscreen version including commentary.
    Chad

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

"Question: Is disc two the same as disc one except it has a pan and scam version? And if so, why didn't they just release two seperate discs instead of making us purchase both?"
    ...and what will you say when a couple of months down the road some survey figures more people are buying the P&S version and therefore they will only release those?
    Please people, we can't have everything, we can't complain about everything.
    --
    Holadem - especially not in these days when people are flying planes into buildings.

20. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn