What's new

MASH TV Stands the Test of time (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This show has'nt dated at all and the 1St season set from Fox is first rate. I notice the audio seems a bit subdued when your watching the nonlaugh track version. Speaking of which the show holds up fine without one. Now where's My "Green Acres" box set I'd kill for that.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Well, I've never had the opportunity to see M*A*S*H without the laugh track, and all I can say is WOW! It is amazing how much better this show is without it! That alone makes it worth the $29.99 price tag. Actually I paid less than that, since I went to Best Buy and bought the M*A*S*H: Five Star Collection for $19.99 and the TV box set for $29.99, then got $10 off. So I got both for a whopping total of $43.22 with tax. Not too shabby.:D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
You can actually understand and Hear alot more of the Dialog without the Laugh Track. I know what's funny I don't need to be guided. Fox is to be commended toward releasing classic tv atreasonable prices and releasing them with care.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
While I love, and fully support the no-laughtrack version. I'm sorry, I just can't watch it that way. MASH has "beats" that my brain knows VERY well from watching the reruns so many times. If I don't hear canned giggling, it's unnerving :)
Besides, technically laughtrack is the original soundtrack :D

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting the 2nd disc tonight (gotta stretch it out, because May is still a long ways away!) and my favorite thing is seeing snippets cut from local airings just to get another 7 or 8 commercials in. I've always hated seeing shots at the end of the episode that were completely cut out of what I just watched.

AndyW

Agent
Yea, I love these MASH shows. I have watched the first 7 and I have seen 2 episodes that I can't remember ever seeing. I can't wait for season 2, and i want an ALAN ALDA COMMENTARY!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'd like comentaries too, but I figure that fox is trying to get the lowest price point they can with these seeing the series lasted 11 seasons.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Fox is to be commended toward releasing classic tv atreasonable prices
Over in the States, maybe.:angry:
There seems to be a problem with their exchange rate listing as they like to charge £40 over her if they charge you guys $40. At current exhange rates $40 is roughly equivalent to a little under £28.
Play247.com are able to offer Simpsons S1 box, for example, at £17.99. The cheapest they can do the R2 version is £33.99 (IIRC). This is pretty ridiculous. I'd much rather have R2 versions but there you go.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
BJs in College Point, NY had them out at $17.99!!! I bought 3 copies before they got them Movie version in & realized that they had the two confused!
Did anybody out there notice, in the first minutes of the pilot, a very young Bruno Kirby (billed as B. Kirby Jr. at the end)?
:)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Did anybody out there notice, in the first minutes of the pilot, a very young Bruno Kirby (billed as B. Kirby Jr. at the end)?
Larry,

1. He is billed the same way in The Godfather, Part II.

2. You might want to turn off the bold on you entire post.

-Chad

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that these old episodes, sans laugh track, seem incredibly fresh and topical.

I just finished the first four episodes and felt as though the entertainment value was at least the equal of the best of the genre available on TV today (i.e. Friends, Raymond ... or can you really place this series in the TV comedy genre??)

The video presentation was not quite as good as Paramount's recent Star Trek TV effort, but still very watchable. (I viewed two of the Episodes on my FPTV system and, except for a a very few scenes, was quite pleased with the contrast, brightness, detail, and color saturation.) There was more print damage than I would have liked, but it wasn't to the point of being horribly distracting.

In any event, getting all 24 episodes of the first season, uncut and without a laugh track, is more than worth the asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks