What's new

MASH Season 3 - Optional Laugh Track ? (1 Viewer)

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I've checked every single online shop and website and haven't found any info on whether the laugh track is optional like it was on the first two sets.
DVDPlanet even has a scan of the backside of the box and it's not mentioned there either (it was on the first two).
Does anybody know if they'll include the laugh-track-free audio on the season three set ?
I will definately not buy it if they don't.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Thank you - that's a relief.
You obviously already have the boxset - did they use that terrible fake Radar/Henry cover or did they change it into something that wasn't done by a four-year-old using Photoshop for the first time ?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, don't have it yet, but I have the press release that specifically states the no laugh track.

And yes, that's the art on the press release, I doubt it's changed. Probably looks a little better on the cover tho

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I got the set today if it’s new information, in the box set it says that the season 4 comes out in July 2003.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Why can't they speed this up ?
If Paramount can release seven boxsets a year and include a moderate amount of extras then why can't Fox release the 100%-extras-free MASH sets every other month ?
The Simpsons excuse (the unavailabilty of the producers to create extras) doesn't work with MASH.
And the MASH sets are not that expensive - so it wouldn't be a problem for any fan to afford six sets a year.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sven

1- Paramount has approximately 1 TV title- Star Trek which were in the works about 18 months before they released the first set (basically allowing them to just do the extras while they were mastering DS9)

2- Fox has what, 8-9 series going right now? They need to devote marketing budget to other things besides MASH, and they know the consumer wallet is limited. Star Trek can be released on insane scheduals because there's A- A lot of it and B-a fervent fanbase who will buy every one immediately

3- Simpsons takes forever because of a bottleneck at Gracie films, NOT because of the unavailability for extras. They ahve commentaries recorded through Simpsons Season 4. Fox has indicated often they would very much like Simpsons on a regular schedual. considering it's their #1 series.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
re 1- But the MASH boxsets don't have any extras and considering the picture quality they didn't spend much time restoring the picture either. So producing the sets in time shouldn't be a problem.

re 2- But MASH (one of the most succesful shows of all times) also comes with a built-in audience. And I would assume that the MASH boxsets sell a lot better than Star Trek. And there are eleven seasons of MASH - so there's a lot of MASH too.
I also believe that the target audience for MASH boxsets is slightly different that the target audience for Buffy/Angel/Simpsons - so Fox shouldn't be worried about the consumer's wallet.

It's just sad that we'll maybe get up to season 5 at the end of this year, season eight at the end of 2004 and the final season by christmas 2005.
By that time we'll probably have to start with season one in whatever new format will have been introduced by then.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I can now confirm that the no-laugh track is on the disc. It's not on the packaging for some reason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks