MASH: Season 1 packaging?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What I'm seeing on DVDfile looks like a double alpha case. I wonder if Fox could tell us exactly how this is packaged/arranged? The only way I know of to fit 24 episodes on 2 discs is to use...*shudder* DVD-18, and I know Fox wouldn't do that to us. I also hope it's not like Cleopatra with the third disc jimmied in there
    Thanks for you time!
    Jeff Kleist

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

It could be a Suspiria style 3 disc Alpha, but that would still mean 8 episodes per disc...
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

3. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

As long as each of the three discs is dual-layer it shouldn't be a problem to cram 8 episodes on each one (especially when you consider that, sans commercials, each episode only runs about 24 minutes).
    Besides, for the quoted price ($39.95) it's a steal one way or the other! [​IMG]

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

5. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Like the previous post, each episode will run approx 20 minutes without commercials. You can get 6 episodes per side that way in either 4 discs, 2 DVD-18's, or 2 flippers. I am leaning towards (citing the price) they will come out with 2 flippers.
    Seeing that the show was not filmed with today's high-tech equipment or stock, and the sound track is mono, I will guess that compression ratios will also play a part.

6. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Based on the pics at DVDfile.com... http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/index.html
    ...I'd be willing to bet it's a 3-disc Alpha. It just looks thicker than the double-Alpha case shown for the MASH 5-STAR DVD (this is assuming that the two pics are both shown to the same scale...).