What's new

MASH Pilot. (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor

Didn't they just discharge you? ;)

Anyway, I'd say that like in any show there was more in the scene than what finally made it to the final edit. Perhaps in the 2nd interview show, "Our Finest Hour," they put that slightly longer version of that scene in just for fun?

And again, the lyrics to "Suicide is Painless" was NEVER used on the show. The uncut pilot episode does have a longer opening with a different instrumental version of the theme, but the words were not used, since the double-meaning from the film wouldn't make sense, and maybe also because of rights to Mike Altman's lyrics.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The member was removed. I didn't remove all his
posts, however.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I wonder if rights to lyrics are an issue anyway? After all, didn't Gene Roddenberry purport to write lyrics to the TOS theme, and then earn royalties on those even though the broadcasts of TOS never used any lyrics in the theme song?

Hence by parity of reasoning, Mike Altman would have to be paid regardless, even if the lyrics were never actually used.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Yee-Ming, that's an interesting point about the rights/lyrics. I'm not sure how all that works.

Yeah, I know. I was just attempting to be punny. You know, M*A*S*H... Army... discharge... nevermind...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks