MASH Complete Series Extras

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joe*A, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Joe*A

Joe*A Stunt Coordinator

I'm completely peeved at Fox for doing this to all those that bought the season sets. How difficult would it have been for them to throw in the extra discs in Season 11? We already paid full price for all the seasons before this.

Joe

2. Buddy I

Buddy I Agent

It's sucks, but it's just another way for them to get money out of fans. I hate when studios re-release stuff, whether it be a special edition or complete box set of something. I think it's stupid, but some people will double dip to get all of the features that originally weren't available with the other release(s).

3. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

What Fox should do here is (after an 'exclusive' period for the boxset) release a 2 disc set of just the extras. It would definitely sell and everyone would be able to get everything. That's what I'd do if I was in charge anyway.
    It's utterly disingenuous of them to keep all those (pre-exisiting) extras for the boxset when the boxset will only go to market because loyal fans have bought the last 10 season releases!
    Also the wallet packaging for the boxset looks nice but is going to bugger those discs something rotten! Seriously, you'd think for such a major set that slim cases would be the order of the day instead of fancy but totally impractical and ill-conceived pockets.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I hated this news as well. I still hate this news.

Its funny because after the story broke, and I ranted about it in my blog, I was talking to someone about another show. I think it was 7th Heaven or maybe Boy Meets World.

Anyway, I told her that the series in question was endanger of being canceled and not completed on DVD. I told her that her best bet to keep the show going was to buy it pretty soon if not immediately on release date. Its an argument I've made on this part of the board more times than I'd care to remember for longer than I would like to admit.

You know what she said to me?

"Yeah, but I don't want to have the same thing happen to me that happened with you and M*A*S*H."

I was speechless which almost never happens to me.

But, I didn't have an answer. How do I tell someone that they need to ensure the viability of future seasons by buying the one's that come out, if they do that and collect the whole series only to get screwed over after owning it all? I suppose you can make the argument that you could just sell the season by season sets and buy the box set but unless you are able to find a sucker, your season sets have depreciated in value and you're not likely to come out of this sale making back all of the money you spent in the first place.

For me, M*A*S*H is not just a show I like. Its a show that I love, I want to know more about this show. Anything that can help me do that I am going to want to take a look at. This may not be the case for every show I own but it is for this one.

On top of that, the complete set is going to actually cost less than if I bought all 11 seasons separately. Don't get me wrong, that's a good deal but if I'm someone that bought all 11 seasons separately and then found out that a box set was coming out with even more stuff and at a bigger savings nonetheless, well...lets just say I'd be extra pissed.

The only point is I hate this practice.

5. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer