What's new

MASH Box Set Reviews?? (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

As well as discs of extras. I don't think they sent any sets out for review - they haven't sent out complete series releases (Buffy) in the past either.

Gord

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

They do now send complete SEASON packages - for quite some time, they sent just the first and final discs in a season set but left out the ones in between. However, they didn't send me the big package and I can't imagine they will. I got the final season the other day and doubt anything else will arrive - that's an awfully expensive release to send to every schmoe like me!

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Well, I went ahead and bought the complete series box set anyway, and I have to agree with the person at mashtalk.com. Some of the extras are nice, some are ok, and some are downright stupid and useless.

But the packaging is really impressive. I'm glad I got it, but there has to be tons more M*A*S*H stuff somewhere in the vaults.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Isn't Memories Of M*A*S*H the special that was hosted by Shelley Long ?

And for some reason I'm thinking there's another anniversary special that's missing. Also there was a very good edition of FOX's Behind The Sitcom about the show. I'm assuming that could have been included. There's also an excellent edition of A&E's Biography about the show that for obvious reasons wasn't used since FOX doesn't own the rights to that.

Does anybody know of any other obvious stuff that's missing ? It sounds as though they made little attempt to find other bloopers. I know of one infamous one where Gary Burghoff attempts to undress in front of Alan Alda and continually breaks into laughter.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Yes, "Memories..." is the one hosted by Long.

As the mashtalk person said, the Biography program about M*A*S*H is on this DVD. I've watched it already, and it's just sort of ok. It again rehashes old stuff, and isn't terribly enlightening.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Ahh, ok. I'm glad to know the Biography is there as I enjoyed it very much. There must have been a typo as AMC is a different channel than A&E. Makes sense now.

Can someone comment on the actual packaging ? Is it attractive ? cleverly designed ? easy to use ?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Just thought I'd chime in to say that with the 20% discount, this now goes for US$111 at DDD. Bargain!

(Yes, I placed an order; it was a no-brainer for me since so far I've only got the first three seasons and the movie.)

Coressel

Supporting Actor

The packaging is very cool. It's about the size of a big encyclopedia, and everything is encased in a big box/slip case. The 30+ discs are in slots inside multiple flippers that open and close easily. Definately attractive and very impressive packaging.

Looks like the same guy from mashtalk.com has posted his complete review here: http://www.talkabouttelevision.com/g...ges/96089.html

Jim Pattison

Stunt Coordinator
As far as extras missing from the box set, I wish they would have included Making M*A*S*H, a 90-minute documentary that aired on PBS while the show was still in production. It was narrated by Mary Tyler Moore.

Clay_E

Second Unit
By the way, those Gary Burghoff bloopers are actually included in the "30th Anniversary Reunion" special.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I had never heard of the Making M*A*S*H PBS special but I'd love to see it again. I doubt they could have included it in the set since it was a PBS production. That's a shame, though.

Still no commentaries, I guess. That's really inexcusable considering the enormous size of the cast. I hope the laugh track can still be turned off on these discs and that the menus have been re-designed. Doubt it.

Coressel

Supporting Actor

Right. No commentaries, no redesigned disc art, no "Making M*A*S*H."

The couple of features in which 4 or 5 fans babble like idiots is just embarrassing and retarded.

Vico

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
If anyone has not bopught season 11 yet.

BTW has anyone been as annoyed as me that they come out with the sets one at a time and then come out with a big set for far cheaper then the price of the separate sets? In my opinion this is a total rip off. Luckily I did not buy all of them because I just found the 1-11 set for 119.00 on this site. http://www.phrackinc.com I am glad I waited for this one to come out.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
My personal opinion is that the packaging itself is kinda neat in theory, but in execution it's questionable at best. Someone above said it was easy to fold the pages out to get to the discs, but I know personally I found it anything but easy to juggle the thing to do so. On top of that, the cardboard slots that the discs go into were difficult to get the discs in an out of, and seem to me to be guaranteed to scratch the discs up pretty good if you take them in and out too many times.

From the outside I'd say it looks perfect, with the cloth covered box. Too tall for conventional DVD shelving, so I haven't quite figured out where exactly it'll go.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I agree, It was really awkward and difficult to remove the discs closer to the spine, very tight in the sleeves, but it's a lot easier with the ones on the outer rows. A couple of the discs have scuff marks on them but they played without any problems, I just started season 3 and I'm enjoying the set emmensely, love the restored scenes.

I like the outer box but the inner book like tray is cumbersome to handle. I would have at least prefered that each section of 9 discs came out seperately, than all of them together. I just keep the disc that I'm watching out until I'm done with it, easier that way. My shelves are fairly tall, so the set fits nicely. I also thought the booklet was well done. Overall, a really good set so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks