What's new

MASH and HD (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Two of my favorite Winchester episodes are the one where he operates on a soldier who is also a concert pianist and now has nerve damage in his right hand. He shows him piano music for the left hand. The other one is about a soldier who is made fun of because he stutters. Winchester sticks up for him and we find out at the end of the episode that Charles' sister also stutters.

I think he is such a great character. I want to watch the series again, it has been a few years. Maybe this Fall.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think he is such a great character. I want to watch the series again, it has been a few years. Maybe this Fall.

They made good decisions in not just creating carbon copies of departing characters as replacements.

Even company clerk Klinger was a good choice, even though he was defrocked.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
They made good decisions in not just creating carbon copies of departing characters as replacements.

I agree. One of this show's strengths was in creating unique new characters whenever they needed to replace a departing cast member. You couldn't write the same stories & dialogue as before and just cross out the previous character's name and write in the new one.

I liked that Winchester managed to annoy his bunkmates, but unlike with Frank, they had at least a little respect for him since he actually had valuable medical skills. Also, even though I thought BJ got increasingly annoying after Season 4, I'm glad they never wrote him as a Trapper clone. And while Henry has always been my favorite of all the characters, I also really liked Potter and the different leadership dynamic he brought.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Don't get me wrong. I like Potter and Winchester. Both are very good characters and fit the show very well. I even liked the changes to Klinger as he was always rather one dimensional until Radar left (and I've always prefered the movie version of Radar over the TV version). My objections to those later years is they became more drama than comedy and frequently were rather preachy. Neither of which I like in comedy shows. I do enjoy many of the episodes from those last seasons but they are not my favorites of the series and receive far fewer viewings. When my wife and I watched the re-runs we'd typically change the channel if the episode was one of the more dramatic ones.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't get me wrong. I like Potter and Winchester. Both are very good characters and fit the show very well. I even liked the changes to Klinger as he was always rather one dimensional until Radar left (and I've always prefered the movie version of Radar over the TV version). My objections to those later years is they became more drama than comedy and frequently were rather preachy. Neither of which I like in comedy shows. I do enjoy many of the episodes from those last seasons but they are not my favorites of the series and receive far fewer viewings. When my wife and I watched the re-runs we'd typically change the channel if the episode was one of the more dramatic ones.

Hey, I started out on the later seasons, and even I say "ugh, not 'Dreams'".

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
My favorite Winchester episode was when a mysterious benefactor was giving gifts to the Korean Orphanage, and no one could figure out who it was until, I believe, Father Mulcahy caught Winchester doing it. When Mulcahy insisted on giving Winchester the credit, he refused saying that his father taught him that true charity always remains anonymous. Made me love the character.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
History channel in Canada supposedly shoes them in HD on their HD CHANNEL.

Watching through some of the daily MASH reruns on an hd feed of historychannel, I get the impression they might not be hd transfers.

For a comparison basis (though not apples-to-apples), I looked at the picture quality on known non-HD dvd stuff like:

- the first dvd release of season 10 of the original Hawaii Five-O
- Star Trek DS9 reruns
- Star Trek Voyager reruns
- Mod Squad seasons 3 to 5
- the original MacGyver

and some older stuff which is allegedly from HD transfers like:

- Mannix
- the original Mission Impossible
- seasons 2 to 9 of the original Dynasty
- etc ...

As far as I can tell, these MASH reruns from an hd broadcast look somewhat inferior in picture quality to stuff like Mannix, the original Mission Impossible, etc ... and some other older CBS-owned shows which are known to have hd transfers (via the syndication bible).

The picture quality of these particular MASH reruns look similar to the picture quality of Mod Squad seasons 3 to 5, the first dvd release of season 10 of Hawaii Five-O, etc ... which might have had their non-hd transfers (used on the dvds) made back in the 1990s.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Ya know, I've never understood this 'love-hate' relationship most people have with MASH. I could perhaps understand it if the quality of the series (writing, acting, directing, etc) declined as the series went along, like say Happy Days. However, all I ever see is that the series got better as it went along and I've watched the entire series from beginning to the end several times. That doesn't include the numerous viewings in reruns on the various channels over the years. If the show had stayed like it was in the first or even second season it wouldn't have lasted for 11 years. By the third season I am just about ready to drive a nail in Frank Burns head. After a while even Linville knew that the character wasn't going to go anywhere. He was too unlikable. The character was a heal and he wasn't going to change. The whole Frank and Margaret versus Hawkeye, Trapper/BJ was old by the end of season three. Even as early as season one, Margaret started to change. Even if it was just a minuscule amount, the transformation had already begun. Frank continued to be more the same and worse. The show couldn't stay the same and continue to be successful. There had to be some sort of growth. I enjoy the early seasons and the later seasons equally. Did it get preachy? Yes, at times. Did the drama out weigh the comedy? Again, at times it did. Overall it was still one of the best shows that has ever been on TV. There were great standout episodes throughout the entire 11 years. I guess I'm in the minority here. I like the entire series.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think with the addition of Potter, and Winchester the series became gold. Talk about good characters with plenty of depth for stories. The "preachy" episodes did turn me off, but I don't remember that many of them.

I always wanted to write Harry Morgan a letter of appreciation for giving me so many good memories of watching MASH. He graduated from the same high school I went to. The library in the school has yearbooks that date back to the early 1900's. I found the year which he graduated(1937 I think) and sure enough he was very popular. President of the debate club, leader of the student council etc. His name was Harry Bratsburg back then.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The addition of Potter took away one of the most overused stories of the first three years: Frank and Hot Lips call Henry inept, go over his head to a general, general is won over by Hawkeye and Trapper.

By virtue of Potter's character, an old army man who was an effective administrator and someone who was more respected, that story was done for the most part.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I guess I'm in the minority here. I like the entire series.
you're not in the minority!

I'm Exactly like you. It's my favourite show, and I can quote it from memory. I know it forwards and backwards, inside and out.

I like all seasons, but to me season 11 was the weakest. There are great episodes (War of nerves, the Party, Movie tonight, The General Flipped at Dawn) and bad ones (Edwina, etc.)

I wish they had developed the Burns character a little bit more, but I realize what he was. And I wish they had Hawkeye BJ and Winchester closer together somewhat.

But that's just me. I didn't have a favorite character, I like them all equally. I have favorite episodes; (Movie Tonight, Tuttle) and ones I hate (Edwina, Inga, Dreams).

MASH to me is the best show of all time (Sorry, not sorry, SEINFELD). It had everything: comedy, drama, tears, happiness. It was an all around great show.

I've watched it umpteen times in syndication but the best thing to ever happen to me was finding it on DVD. I found whole scenes cut, missing parts that made
Whole episodes make sense.

I bought the individual seasons up to 10 untill I found out they were making the box set which I promptly bought.

I even try
To make jokes like Hawkeye.

I love the show and I am glad there are others who love the show just as much as I do.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Why the sad face? The laugh track-free version is the one I prefer. I wish more releases had this option. We've been watching the complete series of Married... With Children, and it has one of the most obnoxious laugh tracks I've heard. I'd love to be able to turn it off.
I mean I love it! We
Dont get that option on TV.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
you're not in the minority!

I'm Exactly like you. It's my favourite show, and I can quote it from memory. I know it forwards and backwards, inside and out.

I like all seasons, but to me season 11 was the weakest. There are great episodes (War of nerves, the Party, Movie tonight, The General Flipped at Dawn) and bad ones (Edwina, etc.)

I wish they had developed the Burns character a little bit more, but I realize what he was. And I wish they had Hawkeye BJ and Winchester closer together somewhat.

But that's just me. I didn't have a favorite character, I like them all equally. I have favorite episodes; (Movie Tonight, Tuttle) and ones I hate (Edwina, Inga, Dreams).

MASH to me is the best show of all time (Sorry, not sorry, SEINFELD). It had everything: comedy, drama, tears, happiness. It was an all around great show.

I've watched it umpteen times in syndication but the best thing to ever happen to me was finding it on DVD. I found whole scenes cut, missing parts that made
Whole episodes make sense.

I bought the individual seasons up to 10 untill I found out they were making the box set which I promptly bought.

I even try
To make jokes like Hawkeye.

I love the show and I am glad there are others who love the show just as much as I do.

First, I'm glad to have the old bulky sets. I've only ever heard bad things about the Martinis and Medicine collection. A lot of bad discs, scratched discs, bad packaging... I'm happy with the bulky boxes and the Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen set for the extras.

And speaking of GFA, I've never seen that on TV. However, I found an old rental copy used in a video store in 1997. The video was probably as old as I was.

As for Frank Burns... well, he was unlucky, because by the time they started fleshing out characters for dramatic purposes, he was already locked into being a huge dick and kind of one dimensional. Larry Linville made a smart decision to go, and they didn't repeat those mistakes with Winchester.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Reading Warren's post about some of his favorite and least favorite episodes, I started thinking about which episodes are my favorites. Here are the episodes I think are the best from each season:

1st: To Market, to Market; Chief Surgeon Who?; Tuttle; The Army-Navy Game; Cease-Fire
2nd: Divided We Stand; 5 O'Clock Charlie; Kim; The Sniper; A Smattering of Intelligence
3rd: The General Flipped at Dawn; Iron Guts Kelly; Alcoholics Unanimous; Adam's Ribs; Bulletin Board
4th: Change of Command; It Happened One Night; Hey, Doc; The More I See You; The Interview

While I'm not overly fond of the series once Gelbart leaves at the end of Season 4, there are still some from each of the remaining seasons that I find rewatchable. Among those, here are the shows I like most from Seasons 5 - 11:

5th: Margaret's Engagement; Hawkeye Get Your Gun; Movie Tonight
6th: The Light That Failed; Your Hit Parade; Potter's Retirement
7th: Commander Pierce; A Night at Rosie's; The Party
8th: Nurse Doctor; The Yalu Brick Road; Life Time
9th: Depressing News; No Laughing Matter
10th: Sons and Bowlers; Picture This [An honorable mention goes to Wheelers and Dealers - I really enjoy the subplot about Potter taking driving lessons, but unfortunately the main plot is yet another "Obnoxious BJ whines nonstop" story.]
11th: Settling Debts; As Time Goes By

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I've never liked how BJ changed in the last 4 years to a much too serious character. He was always smiling in his first seasons. Became a grouch when he got the mustache. That became my tell in whether I wanted to watch a episode. If BJ had a mustache in the credits, I moved on. Radar leaving and Klinger becoming the company clerk weakened the show too. Everyone lost that little something that made them special and it relied on guest stars to carry the stories. The tone had changed to the point that Colonel Flagg seemed out of place in his last appearance. Not a bad show, but no longer must watch.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
First, I'm glad to have the old bulky sets. I've only ever heard bad things about the Martinis and Medicine collection. A lot of bad discs, scratched discs, bad packaging... I'm happy with the bulky boxes and the Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen set for the extras.

I have the Martini set. Never had a problem with it!

Linville was smart to go; unfortunately, he was typecast... They didn't give burns much backstory aside from he had a wife, a couple of kids, and lived in Fort Wayne, Indiana. (Anyone from there?) They could have given him even the slightest bit of more backstory, and still kept his character roughly the same.

Some of my the eps I like to watch more so than others, when I go through the series. *'d titles are favorites,

1) Tuttle*, I hate a Mystery, The Army Navy Game
2) The Sniper, Deal Me Out (Despite the major plot holes), Crisis, A Smattering of Intelligence
3) The General Flipped at Dawn*, Officer of the Day ("I'll carry your book,I'll carry a torch..." scene), Adam's Ribs
4) Quo Vadis, Captain Chandler (The scene between Flagg and Freedman is a favorite)
5) Dear Sigmund, Movie Tonight*
6) War of Nerves*, The Winchester Tapes, The M*A*S*H Olympics, Tea and Empathy, Major Topper
7) Rally 'round the Flagg Boys ("I'm Joe Stalin! Mao Tse Tung, Marshall Tito, and you all know Lenin..."), The Party*
8) Are you now, Margaret?, Period of Adjustment, Morale Victory*
9) Cementing Relationships, A War for all Seasons, No Laughing Matter*, Oh How We Danced, Blood Brothers
10) The Tooth Shall Set You Free, Where there's a Will there's War
11) Trick or Treatment, As Time Goes By

There are some wonderful interviews and behind the scenes stuff on Youtube, lots of stuff FOX could have put on the DVDs...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I like all of the recommendations here for favorite episodes, but I'm *shocked* that nobody has listed "Welcome to Korea" -- the one hour episode that kicked-off season 4 -- as a favorite. This is the episode that introduced BJ; and it ran the gamut between comedy, drama, war, and tears. It was a M*A*SH "tour de force"!!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I do think that the changes made to the M*A*S*H cast and the shift from comedy to drama helped it last 11 seasons, but I still think the early comedy seasons were the best. I think each time a main character left, the show took a hit. When Frank Burns left and Major Winchester was added, I really didn't enjoy the show any more. The shift to a drama was too much for me to ever get used to and the attitudes of the main characters in the later years made them unlikable to me.

Just my opinion, of course.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Strangely enough I never saw the film that inspired the TV series from Robert Altman. Is it closer to the first 4 seasons or the seasons after?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks