1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

MASH and HD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dave Scarpa, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Has mash ever been transferred to HD ? I noticed Netflix recently added most episodes of the series save for the back half of season 11 and the final episode, unfortunately in SD. Netflix has gotten shows in
    The past in HD if availablty i

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Nope. IIRC, the last remasters were done in the 1990s when they called it M*A*S*H: The Remastered Edition in local syndication. And Fox is notoriously bad at having up-to-date HD masters, or even non-outdated uncut SD masters of their other pre-1990 shows; season 1 of Rhoda, anyone? That doesn't mean it will never happen, just that it hasn't happened yet.

Does Netflix at least give you the option to watch the episodes laugh track-free?

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah I remember when they did that 1990 remaster before that they were using horrible looking prints in syndication. Maybe LIS on Blu Ray will get the ball rolling, although given the amount being asked for 3 seasons of Batman I shudder at a complete 11 season box set of MASH

MatthewA likes this.
  4. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    Old thread, but I'm rewatching the series, so why not drag it up again?

The DVDs look pretty decent. But, the prints do have some damage here and there, and could use some TLC.

Unfortunately, it's a Fox show, so it'll probably never happen.

And speaking of HD, the DVDs look about the same as what's airing roughly 20 times daily on WGN America, so they're probably still just using the old 90s masters.

If only Universal owned MASH...

Tony Bensley likes this.
  5. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    History channel in Canada supposedly shoes them in HD on their HD CHANNEL.

So who knows?

But, I wish fox would spend the money to fix up the season 11 episode "Out Finest Hour." It could easily be done.

I would buy these iN HD In a heartbeat!

6. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Yeah, they air on WGN America's HD channel, too. But I don't see them being anything but those old 90s masters.

Does Canada get the laugh track-free versions?

And yeah, who wouldn't be up for MASH on Blu? I could see paying more per season than X-Files, but less than Star Trek.

7. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    We only get the laugh track free version on DVD. :(

8. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    My wife tends to watch them on The History Channel's non HD version, so I couldn't begin to say definitively whether or not it's true HD on the other channel.

We still have the 11 bulky DVD sets that we bought from 2002-06, which cost around $45 a Season on average. As we are likely eliminating the cable soon, and she goes back to these quite often, it was money well spent. While I keep an eye open for Blu-rays, my wife couldn't care less about them, so I don't suspect we'll ever upgrade these, at any rate. It would be great to have the option, however!

CHEERS! :)

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Why the sad face? The laugh track-free version is the one I prefer. I wish more releases had this option. We've been watching the complete series of Married... With Children, and it has one of the most obnoxious laugh tracks I've heard. I'd love to be able to turn it off.

Mr. Handley likes this.
  10. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The problem with not having a laugh track on a taped before a studio audience show is that there's pauses that the actors leave for the audience laughter and without it, the exchange of dialogue between actors often becomes fractured and unnatural.

11. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Yeah, the audience laughter in Married With Children is almost a character itself. And there's no way to take it out since it was recorded live, and would hurt the flow of the show.

No laugh track works with a show like MASH because it was single camera, and the producers didn't even want the laugh track in the first place. And the Brits got the clean version, and we all benefitted when DVD happened.

The one thing I wish the DVDs had was a play all option, but these were released before that became the standard.

12. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    I love being able to turn off the laugh track on my M*A*S*H sets. I wish that option was available on sets for all shows that used a laugh track rather than an audience. (I'm fine with studio audience laughter.*)

I only own the 1st 4 seasons of M*A*S*H - the Larry Gelbart years. After he left, it gradually changed from a comedy with dramatic moments to a drama with occasional comedic moments; and with less of an ensemble quality in favor of something that probably should have been renamed The Alan Alda Show. [I did like some 5th season episodes (the last season for both Larry Linville and Gene Reynolds), and several from the remaining seasons, thanks in large part to David Ogden Stiers, Harry Morgan and GW Bailey. But overall I don't find those years as rewatchable as the 1st 4.] Still, I would purchase a remastered complete series set on Blu if it were ever offered...and assuming the laugh track remained something I could turn off.

* I did think it got a bit over-the-top on some shows in their later years, such as Happy Days and Sanford and Son, where everything - including any comedic momentum - had to stop for half a minute each time a new character entered the scene so that the audience could applaud. I enjoy natural audience reactions, but that was obviously forced/encouraged.

BobO'Link and Ron1973 like this.
  13. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

WOW! What does THAT say about Fox?!?!

14. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I only intended to purchase S1-S6 of M*A*S*H for the same reasons as you. Only I call it "The Alan Alda Effect." Like many other comedy-that-became-dramady series (Looking at you Cosby and Home improvement) it just got too "preachy" to suit my tastes. In spite of my intentions I own S7 & S8 for no other reason than foxconnect.com has an occasional 50% off sale and I picked up S7 & S8 during one of those to get over the free shipping threshold, plus $5/season was cheap enough and I can tolerate those episodes on rare occasions. The problem now is I "need" S9-S11 simply because I'm "that close" to it being complete. That's in spite of not caring for those seasons and hating the final episode (the only show whose final episode I dislike more than the final Seinfeld episode). Of course, foxconnect hasn't had one of those sales for over 12 months so I'm left hanging and refuse to pay the ~$10/season asking prices at Amazon (I knew I should have just sucked it up and made the purchase when I got those others). Even with my rather ambivalent feelings towards S7-S11 I'd also spring for a "Complete Series" Blu-ray upgrade should one appear.
    I've stopped watching several favorites for just that reason. There were times I felt that was done simply because the script wasn't long enough to fill the time so that was somewhat encouraged to allow for sloppy script-writing and/or timing.

Dave Lawrence likes this.
  15. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Thanks to where Fox 5 in DC was in the syndication package when I first discovered MASH, seasons 9-11 are where I started watching. So I can't say anything bad about the dramatic years.

I do enjoy the middle years (4-6) the most, though.

In rewatching the series, though, they would have had to change things up around season 4, whether the exodus happened or not. Frank and Hot Lips vs. everyone else was already getting stale, IMO.

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I only have seasons 1-6, for similar reasons to what others have mentioned. That, and the film on BD, are enough for me. I doubt I would buy a complete series on BD if it ever became available.

17. Moore Maxx

Moore Maxx Stunt Coordinator

This past weekend the Sundance channel had a MASH marathon. The description for each episode listed it as showing in HD and wow they really looked sharp, clean, and with good colors. I had to binge watch and DVR my favorite Henry episodes. This is the third time I've seen a marathon of MASH on Sundance. Different seasons every time and they look very sharp on my 55 inch Samsung. Just very slight black bars on either side but would definitely double dip on the series if they were re released looking
    this good.

18. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I'm shocked that there are people that dislike the "Winchester years"(6-11).
    I understand the episodes became less zany(I do love the Frank Burns character in the early seasons), and much more dramatic. But I think it was pretty good trade off as the show evolved.

I prefer seasons 6-11, many great episodes in there-"Death Takes A Holiday" is one of my favorite episodes of any series.

19. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

There is no question but that some M*A*S*H afficanadoes consider season 6 and later to be the best years of the series.

Personally, I love all 11 seasons and would *defintely* repurchase the series in a BD complete series box set.

Tony Bensley and Bryan^H like this.
  20. Moore Maxx

Moore Maxx Stunt Coordinator

Two of my favorite Winchester episodes are the one where he operates on a soldier who is also a concert pianist and now has nerve damage in his right hand. He shows him piano music for the left hand. The other one is about a soldier who is made fun of because he stutters. Winchester sticks up for him and we find out at the end of the episode that Charles' sister also stutters.

Tony Bensley and Bryan^H like this.