What's new

Masada: Any chance for DVD? (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Howdy,
I was talking with friend about new run of heroic age movies that started back up with "Gladiator." We have "Troy" coming out, like a half dozen movies about Alexander, etc. Made me clamor for the days of one of TV's best mini-series (from memory, though) called Masada. I see that there is a VHS series of it available (for too much, in my opinion) but no sign of a DVD. This was an amazing series starring Peter O'Toole about the siege of Masada. It looked great, had amazing production values and a wonderful cast (again, if memory serves). From the reviews I saw on Amazon for the VHS, it even looks like it holds up well after all these years. Are mini-series coming out on DVD? This hearkens back to the good old days of quality mini-series (or, just an abundance of mini-series). Winds of War was supposedly good, too. Shogun. North and South. Lots of big picture ideas on the small screen that now are being replicated by the success of those HBO series (Earth to the Moon, Band of Brothers, etc.) and even Sci Fi (Dune 1&2, Taken, etc.).

I digress...are they bringing these back out? I would rather pay money for something like Masada vs. season one of some old 70's show (though I liked those shows, mind you...gotta love Barney Miller, All in the Family, etc.). That would seem like a great market for DVD, already exploited by BBC mini series. My wife has nearly watched the Pride and Prejudice series enough to know it verbatim and puts my LOTR and Star Wars geekiness to the test! :D

Masada...

Phil

Leroy

Second Unit
I would love to see this make it to DVD. I remember this mini-series vividly (even though I was but a wee lad at the time). Great cast, score and everything else.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Oh Wow! I remember that movie, I loved it, and I was really young when I saw it. That would be great to see again...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I didn't even know there was a mini-series about Masada, but I'd buy it. I was there when I was 14 and they told us the story of the seige...it's always interested me.

Looks like Universal owns it.

Gord

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I brought this up a year ago on here, there was interest then and I think that it was one of TVs premiere pieces in the early 80's.

A DVD release of this for historical and contextual reasons is essential.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Randy, it looks like you'll be
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
'ing along with a lot of us soon :) Here's the TSoD post link with Dave's news post

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7485

I'll be getting this one for certain. I haven't seen this since its original airing.

Dave mentioned miniseries out on DVD from the mega-era of the TV miniseries age. One's still missing in R1: "Rich Man, Poor Man". Maybe one of these days.....since it's been out in R2 since '03 and Book II is being released in the UK on 06/18 . Maybe Uni's planning a combo set some day for us in the states?

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Seems like this thread really ought to be merged with the other Masada thread that is apparently much longer, and older.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks