What's new

"Mary Tyler Moore Show" Season 6 announced for Feb. 2010 release! (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by moogaboo

BTW, I think I spotted a music replacement. In the episode where Lou and Paula (Penny Marshall) double-date with Lou's ex and her younger man, the music playing is *not* "You Made Me Love You," as far as I can tell.

That's exactly what I was thinking. But by the time I got to the end of the disc, I forgot to rewatch it to confirm. But I think you're right.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by moogaboo

BTW, I think I spotted a music replacement. In the episode where Lou and Paula (Penny Marshall) double-date with Lou's ex and her younger man, the music playing is *not* "You Made Me Love You," as far as I can tell.
Not to quibble with this set coming out at all, but there was no reason to replace that song. It's public domain, having been written in 1913 and falling out of copyright by 1988.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Not to quibble with this set coming out at all, but there was no reason to replace that song. It's public domain, having been written in 1913 and falling out of copyright by 1988.

Yes, but remember it's not the just the song that gets copyrighted, its also the actual performances. Either someone wanted too much money to reuse the performance, or wanted to much money for a new performance, or Fox had no info on the performance and erred on the side of caution, so as not to have someone come back after it's released and demand what (little) profit they may be getting on this release. I don't think Fox wants to spend one thin dime more than necessary to gets these last seasons out.

Ben Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of music issues, I just watched the episode "Murray Takes a Stand," in which Murray becomes irate and tells off the station's new owner when the movie "Animal Crackers" airs on WJM and the song "Hurray for Captain Spaulding" has been cut.

And the portion of that very scene in which Joyce Bulifant's Marie actually sings a segment of the song? Cut.

Gotta laugh at the irony.

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Dan-P

If anyone with input into the Season 7 set (that hopefully is being worked on now) is reading, it would be very nice if the original closing credits to the final episode were used, rather than the closing credits used in syndication. When the final episode was first aired, Mary came out and introduced the cast one by one, as they walked out on stage for the last time to audience applause, as the final credits rolled over it. I have a recording of this from long ago, but it's poor quality - and I saw it on Youtube awhile back also. Hopefully there's a decent copy of it available somewhere and I hope it make it into the DVD set.

When I read the post on TV Shows on DVD today about Season 7 being released soon, and - amazingly and thankfully - the original closing credits being used for the final episode, with the cast introductions. I thought back and remembered this post, which might possibly have had *something* to do with letting whoever put this set together know that there was such a thing. And the article also mentioned that it was in response to "fan request". Wow. How lucky :) Maybe it was some other fan request or post, but this is the first time I'd ever seen this mentioned or suggested. I'm just really happy that its finally coming out and I will at last have the complete set of my favorite show! And the original closing to the series is a huge bonus.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks