What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show Complete Series Set Coming (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
There's no way that Fox is going to go to the expense of creating DVD masters for THREE "new" seasons (Seasons 5-7) and then just let those NINE DVDs (72 episodes) sit on their shelves for nobody to purchase. No way. That idea is just plain silly.

IMHO.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've got no problem with a delay, as long as the set isn't cancelled. I agree with David, it just doesn't seem sensible not to release the rest of the series a studio spent money prepping for potential profit. The MTM DVDs have got to be the most tumultuous releases of a TV series to date!

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
Oh, no! Are we gonna start another 10 pages on guessing why, why, why? I'll start with I don't know, know, know. Personally I doubt we'll ever see seasons 5-7 by themselves in any form. And like some of you have already stated. I'm glad it's not cancelled.

As an afterthought, look at all the attention this thread has gotten. There is a fan base out there. I'm sure Sony knows that. Perhaps they don't give a hoot as an old owl once said.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

It is probably because, when it comes to not finishing series. Sony is public-enemy #1. So your mindset is to assume Sony the root of all evil.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And Sony doesn't help their image by (1) putting out the new S3 of "Barney Miller" in a single hub packaging and then (2) coming out with a giant expensive set of S1 releases only of Norman Lear titles with extra content that one would have to double dip across the board for first seasons of titles that are abandoned otherwise.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, this is certainly not news. I'm glad that the set isn't cancelled. I have no problem with the delay at all. I think it would be better for the set to come out closer to Christmas than right now anyway. I'm still going to buy the set no matter when it comes out. I've already saved up the money.

Mr. Ed

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward Van Fossan
I stand corrected. Boy, oh, boy was I wrong. I still use pencils with erasers on them. Anyway thanks Mike. I had to laugh the way you stated it. You're right. Sony wouldn't care. Glad I wasn't alone on that one. Anyway, I thought that maybe they're going to be late so they can put the Oprah show special on an "extrras" disc. Now that I've said that it's bound NOT to come to pass.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, if this is the way Fox is going to go in getting the rest of the series out, I applaud them for the decision and am glad that my fears that protests over a complete series set would result in our getting nothing at all seem to be unfounded (but let's see an official release date before I can consider it time to issue a total mea culpa on this point).

I cancelled my complete series order and promptly did a S5 pre-order.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, those of us who sold off our season sets are screwed.

Plus, with the season by season approach, you're still not guaranteed the rest of the seasons after S5 will be released.

This won't be a "victory" for anyone until season 7 is in everyone's hands. Until then, everyone still has the same problem as they have before this mess began... we might never see all seven seasons of Mary Tyler Moore on DVD.

And on top of thatr, I'm not re-buying the seasons I sold off, or any new seasons until all 7 are released. So, for someone like me, I still get nothing, because I don't think sales will be good enough this time around to get the last two seasons released unless Fox has dropped their sales expectations way down.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I might suggest you try to get the earlier seasons back at the discount rates they're being offered at in certain places. Adopting the attitude of "I'm not going to buy anything!" in the face of potentially *both* options still being there is really not the way to go IMO.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
The people spoke out and the Studio listened here. There is nothing to complain about now. So I applaud FOX for releasing this the right way. You would have to think they will release S5 followed by S6,S7 here. They know what to expect as far as sales go otherwise why release S5. You can regularly find MTM sets via a bogo sale a couple times a year. So if you sold yours that can be a way to get them back rather cheaply.

if200

Agent
Real Name
Diane
For those of you who sold your earlier sets in anticipation of the complete series, how you can consider yourself screwed when you can buy all four seasons for ten dollars and change each at deep discount?
Hopefully they will still put out the entire series so that we know we will actually get all the seasons. I will buy the complete series even though I have multiple copies of the first four seasons just to be complete as soon as possible.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Is the complete series even still a go? I guess it could be for later in the year, but I would think that might be officially cancelled or postponed till they release the rest of the seasons individually. Then maybe you toss in some unique extras and maybe get some people to double-dip and piss them off again. ;)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Actually, you're right... I'm not screwed.

I'll buy this show when the complete series is released, and that will be that.

If the final seasons never come out, well, hey, at least nobody had to re-buy the first four seasons to get the last three, right?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, there we go! It pays to complain on the Internet.

Those of us who rightly complained about the plan to release 5, 6 and 7 only in a Series Set apparently have convinced Fox of the fairness of our point of view.

The small minority here who told us to shut up at the risk of Fox not releasing the remaining seasons at all owe us a big apology.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

if200

Agent
Real Name
Diane
When I have all seven seasons in my hands then I will owe you an apology. If they release the fifth season and never give us seasons six and seven then you owe me an apology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks