What's new

Mary Tyler Moore Show Complete Series Set Coming (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, looks like the news is out:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show DVD news: Release Date for Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Series | TVShowsOnDVD.com

What bothers me is how are those of us who purchased seasons 1-4 supposed ot get the rest of the series without having to double dip? I really find this to be quite unfair. With the way the ecomomy is today, I don't mind buying the final 3 seasons separately, but to have to spend $178.00 to duplicate the first four seasons is just really a low blow to those of us who faithfully purchased the previous sets. Not happy about this at all.

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
HOORAY!

Although I own seasons 1-4 I will definitely buy this set (at Costco!) the minute it comes out. My guess as to why they are releasing a complete season set is maybe as a favor to fans who have had to wait so long, they are releasing the whole thing at once rather than making go through another very long wait as one season at a time gets released ... or more cynically, the studio is trying to recoup some of their alleged losses on the prior season sets on the backs on hardcore fans (like me) who are willing to double dip. After a suitably long time, I wouldn't be surprised if the season sets are eventually available for purchase individually. I'm still buying the set regardless and I'm happy that it's finally coming out. Now if they will finish the Bob Newhart show, life will be perfect.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I have mixed feelings on this one... while I am thrilled that the entire show will be on DVD... I don't like having to re-buy the sets I have now... and with money being so tight not sure I will be able to afford to do so any time soon.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The really sad thing is, I will probalby buy it as well. But then that begs the question as what to do with the duplicates that I will have for seasons 1-4? And no, selling them on ebay or Amazon is not an option. Everyone will be trying this so there will tons of them posted and you won't be able to give them away. I just find this whole thing really unfair. The complete series is $178.00. I've already spent just about $100.00 on the first seasons. So all together I will have spent close to $300.00 to the entire series. It's not right no matter how you cut it.

What would really be fare is if Fox could come up with a way to trade in the previously purchased sets, pay the difference and get the eniter series set. However, that would only happen in a perfect world. Or even give us a way to just purchase the final 3 seasons either together or individually. Sorry, but I'm not made out of money and I don't relish the thought of have four worthless sets once this hits the streets.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Would you rather have something for the first 4 sets or nothing? It certainly sucks but if I had to choose between having the whole series and getting a few dollars for the other four or just having the first four sets and not spending the money, I'll take the first choice.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth. I just want those episodes. I'll recoup some of my money, but the loss will be worth it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Another option regarding the purchase of MTM seasons 5-7 would be to wait until after the Complete Series set is released, and then check E-Bay or Amazon Marketplace Sellers.

There are bound to be sellers at the above-mentioned locations who will break up the Complete Series set and sell only Seasons 5, 6, and 7 to fans who refuse to pay for the whole series. That could be a way to save some cash and still get the last 3 seasons.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I would be willing to buy the last 3 seasons as one set, but i cannot afford that price for the whole series. Guess I will get those bootleg sets I have been putting off getting after all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't discount the possibility of either the other seasons coming out as a group or coming out individually at some point. My advice would be that if money is tight to hold off and see what happens. You may find a deal on the set at some point or they may release them on their own.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I will say, though, that the price of $179.98 MSRP for all 7 seasons is excellent. After the usual 25%-30% discount, that amounts to just $18 or $19 per season. Darn good price. But, like everyone else here, I don't relish having to purchase seasons 1-4 all over again.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I have mixed feelings too. I hope Fox will make some sort of consideration to people that dutifly bought the previous seasons (i.e. a rebate for owners of previous seasons or seperate releases). Still I will buy it, I am sure I will be able to find it nicely discounted.

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
They have got to be kidding, if 5-7 aren't going to be available separately.

There is ZERO reason behind this other than - 'let's screw some more money out of these smucks... er.. fans who have already bought more than half this set already and been on the edge of their seat for the last 7 YEARS waiting to see if they will ever get the rest of the seasons released.'

All they would need to do is sell season 5-7 together as well as the complete series. Just a cardboard wrap around. Hell just bundle them together in shrink-wrap. It doesn't have to cost them anything but cents.

Who at Fox made this decision? Can we please find out the justification behind the decision. (as if we didn't know).

Who'd have thought that Fox could announce season's 5-7 of MTM after all this time and it be bad news and piss off fans?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would pay for the rights to White Christmas and reinstate the edited footage in the Season One Christmas episode.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I wish TV series were always released in Complete Series Sets so we wouldn't have to sweat out years waiting for the whole series, which just as often as not ends up being abandoned.

Of course, that could be expensive, but it comes to the same thing in the long run.

However, I do not like switching plans in midstream, so to speak.

If you started a series with separate season sets, you should finish it that way. Otherwise, it's treating the most loyal fans -- the most important part of your target audience -- with contempt.

Seasons 5-7 should be made available by themselves, somehow! I'm so tired of being kicked around by DVD companies. It seems if it isn't one outrageous, uncalled-for thing, it's another.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

I really do hope that somehow, someway that the final three seasons are released individually. I just really justify can't buying the complete series set and getting stuck with the first four seasons again.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Me neither. i spent money on the first 4 seasons already. I just cannot afford buying them a second time. Can someone contact Fox and see if they might also be planning to release the last 3 seasons seprately? Otherwise its bootleg time.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I'm in the same situation as everyone else owning the first four seasons. Glad the remaining seasons are getting released but I don't want to double dip on seasons I already own. I wonder if Fox could offer a complete set minus the season 1 through 4 discs? Sort of like what Warner did several years ago with the Astaire & Rogers Partial Ultimate Collector's Edition released at Amazon.com. It was aimed at people who purchased the first volume, and allowed you to add that set to the new ultimate edition without purchasing the same movies again. I would gladly purchase something like that if it was offered.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
No.

Fox released the first season. And it didn't sell.

And that was it.

But TV on DVD matured, and they tried again. Three more seasons. And sales were weak. (Very weak, I was told by somebody at a rival studio.)

And that was it.

But fans (me included) complained about it. We want our MTM! And Fox ultimately figured out a way that made financial sense for them.

Do I want to rebuy the first four seasons? Of course not. But I will, because this is a show I truly love. I would not do it for many shows. (I did it for "Dr. Katz: Professional Therapist," rebuying the first two seasons in the complete set.)

Cynicism is reasonable. But if people had bought the first four seasons (as they should have, if they were right-thinking comedy lovers like me), it would not have come to this.

This I can promise you: nobody, absolutely nobody, ever said "Let's screw these schmucks."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks