1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mary Tyler Moore episode edited

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottR, Oct 2, 2002.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

The Christmas episode on the MTM dvd's is missing 30 seconds when Mary sings White Christmas...what gives?

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Yeah, you're right! Crappola!
    It's cut off right after she starts to sing it. Plus, we're missing a line of dialogue following the song...where she says "I think I'm going to cry".
    Wonder why this snippet was excised?? [​IMG]

4. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Unbelievable! You have got to be kidding me!
    I was on the fence on this one, but that settles that!!
    Inexcusable!
    Jeff

5. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Wait! I bet Damin's right on this one. It's probably the "White Christmas" song rights thing. What else COULD be the reason? Every other second of each episode is intact (I think anyway).

I'm disappointed about it, but heck...it's still a great set.

6. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I am VERY disappointed in it...and anything else great about the set has just gone out the window...first, there was the audio glitch in the second episode, now this! I'll take the MASH set any day over this, and MTM is my favorite...I am calling FOX about this, even though it won't do any good...fans should speak out.

7. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

This is an extremely disturbing trend. Why is it these shows aren't edited for t.v. broadcast? When networks buy the rights to air these, do they pay extra for the "song" episodes", or do they just opt not the air them? Beavis and Butthead, WKRP, Mary... this is really upsetting, a disgusting precedent. Okay, WKRP, they used actual industry recordings, Beavis, used actual industry videos... but Jesus Christ, Mary Tyler Moore singing her own version of White Christmas??? This is WAYYYYYY out of hand! All this stuff was FINE on VHS! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

By the way, this soooo belongs in studio feedback. Industry people need to see this thread. [​IMG]

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    David Lambert,
    Excellent post that's spot on!

Crawdaddy

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I haven't bought this set yet, for no other reason than that there's been too many other dvds to buy. I was going to buy it next week, but I have to admit that this censorship (for whatever reason may be behind it), has caused me to decide not to buy it. Although I like MTM, it's far from my favorite series, and yet the Christmas episode was absolutely one my favorite episodes, so this really ruins the set for me.

12. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I would like to say one thing, which is that it's not a safe assumption that Fox cut those seconds out specially for the DVD. Maybe they did, but on the other hand it could be a holdover from the changes MTM made to all its shows about 5 years ago before it collapsed and sold the shows to Fox. (WKRP is the most infamous example, but almost every MTM show suffered cuts and music changes around that time.) Also, a lot of episodes of MTM shows circulate in versions of differing lengths -- I've seen WKRP and Bob Newhart episodes that are distributed in several different ostensibly "uncut" versions, each with snippets that the other version doesn't have. Anyway, this is probably the difference between this and M*A*S*H. M*A*S*H may not have been kept in the best condition, but every MTM show was in a complete shambles.

If Fox didn't make this change, they definitely should have caught it. If they did make the change, they definitely shouldn't have. But I can't say that this has affected my intention to buy the set.

13. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug

14. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

THIS IS SHOCKING!!

Actually, if you're going to use this as an excuse not to buy the set, its a pretty lame one.

Just watch the shows and enjoy it! Stop nitpicking! Why cant we let ourselves be entertained instead of looking for ways to ruin it.

PS: This is not a thread crap. This is a reality check.

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Sorry to offend you R. Kay, but I'm pretty much a stickler when it comes to OAR and uncensored versions. I've never even rented Eyes Wide Shut, and will not do so until an uncensored version becomes available. I was on the fence about this since MTM isn't really a favorite of mine (I love some of the episodes, a lot I just don't care for). All the great reviews had pushed me to one side of the fence, and this has pushed me back to the other side.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it. I guess the p&s crowd could say the same thing to those of us who won't buy p&s discs. Just because it's minor to you doesn't make it so for everyone else.

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I'm not sure I see the logic behind refusing to buy this set due to the loss of the "White Christmas" rendition. Assuming that it is simply cost prohibitive for the song to have been included on the set, the options were to either edit the song out or not release the set (or just that episode) altogether. As such, this is probably the only way for the episode to appear on DVD. This isn't a matter of AR or editing for "adult" content that can be remedied simply by the studios; it's likely a rather insurmountable barrier. While I'm all for supporting OAR/etc., sometimes reality kicks in and one should realize that a given release is the best possible release from a practical standpoint. Being a "stickler" in those cases, in the end, only hurts the viewer who loses out on seeing something that they would enjoy. There is nothing to be gained by refusing to purchase it, and there's a whole lot of enjoyment to lose (assuming, of course, that the show is enjoyable to you in the first place; it's not my cup of tea).

DJ

17. Rain

Rain Producer

I agree there is no excuse for this.

Even if they had to edit the episode due to rights issues, it should have been made clear that this was done.

It is not appropriate to sell something incomplete without any warning.

18. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Can someone who has the set confirm that there is no such warning/disclaimer listed in the liner notes or stamped somewhere on the packaging?

19. Rain

Rain Producer

20. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I agree that the studio should have given people a "heads up" on this, but it is definitely not an issue, for me, to refuse to watch. I've seen this episode and I had forgotten about that. It will be interesting to seee if this episode shows up on Nick-at-Nite during the holiday season. We can see if this song has been edited out of that episode.