What's new

MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS STEREO? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I know that the double feature from Universal- Mary, queen of scots and anne of the Thousand days was just released.
Both films were stereo in theaters, but the speca say mono for the disc.
Does anyone have this release and can confirm stereo for both films?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I received the set in the mail today. I could be mistaken, but to my ears, the music score and a few sound effects (e.g.the drums @ Sir Thomas More's execution)of Anne of the Thousand Days seem to be in stereo. There are no aggressive stereo effects. When horses gallop from left to right, they are not in stereo.

Mary, Queen of Scots sounded mono in all respects. If it is in stereo, it is extremely passive and non-aggressive, as few effects or music cues jumped out that I noticed.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The films are in mono but good news for fans of John Barry's score. There is an isolated score track and the film contains the overture and intermission music from the film's rare 70 millimeter engagements (blow up).

PatH

Second Unit
Will owners of this please comment on video quality, aspect ratio, etc. Thanks!

PatH

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
my old laserdisc of ANNEis stereo and my vhs prerecprd tape of MARY is full stereo.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Joe, can you describe a scene that shows a strong example of stereo usage from the VHS for comparison/DVD checking? Thanks!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Listening to the background music (I don't mean the isolated music track) should establish whether there is a left/right separation between the different musical instruments within the orchestra. If there is, then it's stereo. If there's no separation, it's mono.

John Skoda

Second Unit
I just did a quick listen to the beginning of both discs, and both are true stereo. In both cases the music seems to be about the only stereo element. The sound effects and dialog don't move around the screen, but the music is definitely true stereo.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I still stand by my original post. I played excerpts on my PC with headphones. The music score (including the dance music in the film) for Anne of the Thousand Days is in quite apparent stereo. As for Mary, Queen of Scots, I really had to strain to hear any sounds that were unique to one ear. I do think I barely discerned some stereo effects in the music; however, it is extraordinarily subtle and unaggressive.

I think I would also give the visual edge to Anne. It looks to me to have blacker blacks, richer color and more detail. I have not had the opportunity to spend much time with either film, but look forward to viewing both this weekend. I am excited to see both films released in anamorphic widescreen in 2.35:1.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Based on the comments in this thread it appears that this release featuring these two fine titles is worthy of a purchase. Is that accurate?

Crawdaddy

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

They are among the greatest historical dramas ever made. I haven't had the chance to watch either of them yet on this DVD set (MARY will be first when I get to them), but having seen both many times over the years, they are the real deal.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Not trying to hijack the thread, but the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this post was the old Monty Python sketch a local radio station here used to play from time to time:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt,
I was specifically questioning the dvd presentations as I'd viewed both films during their initial theatrical runs over 35 years ago and have watched both films again over the years.

Crawdaddy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thomas, both of these DVDs have stereo tracks. I could hear discreet music just by listening through the speakers, but through headphones it was altogether obvious. You might want to check your system settings...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks