Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Mary Queen of Scots

Genre: Drama, History

Director: Josie Rourke

Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie, Joe Alwyn, Guy Pearce, David Tennant, Jack Lowden, Maria Dragus, Eileen O'Higgins, Liah O'Prey, Izuka Hoyle, Brendan Coyle, Martin Compston, Gemma Chan, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Lee Starkey, Kal Sabir

Release: 2018-09-14

Plot: Mary Stuart attempts to overthrow her cousin Elizabeth I, Queen of England, only to find herself condemned to years of imprisonment before facing execution.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The trailer for Mary Queen of Scots dropped this morning:

That they want to call to mind Darkest Hour doesn't thrill me because I hated that film, but this looks good. If the movie is in fact good, Ronan and Robbie will probably be nominated for Oscars again next year, although this year they presumably won't be in the same category. Ronan will obviously be lead and Robbie will be supporting. So, maybe they could both win. We'll see.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
09951585833158298059.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's another new trailer, even though the movie begins its limited theatrical rollout this weekend:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone seen this yet?

I love Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie, but the mixed reviews are giving me pause about seeing it.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I just came back and generally enjoyed it. I think historical dramas are really difficult to do well, and we've been spoiled by some good ones in recent years (Darkest Hour and Lincoln come to mind). In my opinion this one doesn't quite hit that level. It's an admirable attempt but ultimately doesn't meet the gravitas of history. Saoirse Ronan is competent but might have done better with a stronger script. Margot Robbie was wonderful in her final significant scene near the end.

Recommended.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie today was Mary Queen of Scotts. Liked it, but the strange Hollywood avoidance of aging make-up in the 21st century is evident in the last scene where the c.45 year old Mary appears to be the 23 year old age of actress Saoirse Ronan, which took me out of the film. Some grey hair color and a bit of wrinkle make up would have worked just fine. This lowered my rating of the movie from a B+ to a B right there.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
we've been spoiled by some good ones in recent years (Darkest Hour and Lincoln come to mind). In my opinion this one doesn't quite hit that level.

I admired the craftsmanship of Lincoln much more than I actually liked it, and I absolutely hated Darkest Hour, which I think is among the very worst films of the last decade. So your comparison of those being superior doesn't really inspire much interest in my seeing this one.

where the c.45 year old Mary appears to be the 23 year old age of actress Saoirse Ronan

That sounds ridiculous. It's such an easy fix too. Lazy filmmaking is what that is.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I admired the craftsmanship of Lincoln much more than I actually liked it, and I absolutely hated Darkest Hour, which I think is among the very worst films of the last decade. So your comparison of those being superior doesn't really inspire much interest in my seeing this one.

I can understand, sorry! :D

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Nothing to apologize for. If anything, the comparison to those films saved me money, as I was at one point considering seeing the movie. So thanks. ;)

I already saw On Chesil Beach earlier this year because Saoirse Ronan was in it, and that ended up being the biggest dud of the year in my opinion. So I think I'm good passing on this one. I love her work when she has good material, but this doesn't seem to be one that I would enjoy.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Nothing to apologize for. If anything, the comparison to those films saved me money, as I was at one point considering seeing the movie. So thanks. ;)

I already saw On Chesil Beach earlier this year because Saoirse Ronan was in it, and that ended up being the biggest dud of the year in my opinion. So I think I'm good passing on this one. I love her work when she has good material, but this doesn't seem to be one that I would enjoy.

I agree that Chesil Beach was a bad movie! This is better than that, but maybe not good enough to see unless you have A-list. For me it was worth c. $2, but I generally do like historical films.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just re-watched this for the second time. I can't describe how much I enjoyed it the second time, even more so than the first time.

One thing I didn't notice the first time and it's very rare for me, is the score. Amazing music by Max Richter. Love the track "The Shores Of Scotland"

Recently I'm watching separate movies that connect to each other in a row. This was part of

The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)​

ef2becd85a.jpg.webp

Elizabeth (1998)​

72a4b9f117.jpg.webp

Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)​

718f577c36.jpg.webp

Mary Queen of Scots (2018)​

0f1f00f8b8.jpg.webp

So I was kind of worried to see this again because it shows Queen Elizabeth like a mustache twirling villain and I didn't want to erase Cate Blanchett's performance watching these back to back. But as I said I really enjoyed it despite Margot Robbie's performance. I just consider it like a separate entity and you will enjoy Mary Stuart's story. I'm not even worried if they are historically accurate, I just enjoy them as stories exploring the human condition. (I was actually surprised how close this was to reality, I thought it was mostly fiction)

I will never forget the ending, Saoirse Ronan's composure and the music.

So, can I continue this series forward? Preferably newer theatrical movies, do you have any suggestions? I don't think there are any movies about her son or near future rulers.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just re-watched this for the second time. I can't describe how much I enjoyed it the second time, even more so than the first time.

One thing I didn't notice the first time and it's very rare for me, is the score. Amazing music by Max Richter. Love the track "The Shores Of Scotland"

Recently I'm watching separate movies that connect to each other in a row. This was part of

The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)​

ef2becd85a.jpg.webp

Elizabeth (1998)​

72a4b9f117.jpg.webp

Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007)​

718f577c36.jpg.webp

Mary Queen of Scots (2018)​

0f1f00f8b8.jpg.webp

So, can I continue this series forward? Preferably newer theatrical movies, do you have any suggestions? I don't think there are any movies about her son or near future rulers.
You are fairly correct - as he's arguably most associated with the book Henry VIII had translated to English - he tends to be a peripheral character in other films. His real life - including how is father was killed - is often in conflict with some peoples' interpretation of the English "version" of that book ...

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I haven’t seen Mary Queen of Scots yet, but I love period pieces like the ones mentioned above, especially Elisabeth.
So this is on myself list for sure.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks