Mary Poppins

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brennan Hill, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

Is the "Gold Collection" re-issue (6/2000)anamorphic? Amazon says it is, but a quick check on some other sites say no. Worth a purchase for my kids?

Thanks!

2. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

It doesn't say Anamorphic or 16 x 9 enhanced anywhere on the cover, chapter list or the disc so I'm guessing no.

3. Andrew Hintz

Andrew Hintz Extra

The "Gold Collection" version of Mary Poppins I bought recently certainly is anamorphic. I'd love to see more extras dealing with the movie, as what little there was on the disc was pretty good (excepting the exceedingly stupid trivia game). But from what I remember the image/sound quality were pretty good. If you want Mary Poppins I see no reason not to get this DVD.

--Andrew

4. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    I don't believe any of the Mary Poppins discs are 16x9 enhanced. They are widescreen, but not anamorphically enhanced.

Our kids loved the movie. It's a little long for them (ages 6 and 5) at 2 hours and 20 minutes. There's a decent "Making of ..." documentary. Recommended.

5. Brennan Hill

Andrew, how sure are you? Really sure, or really really sure? I believe you, its just that I'm still getting conflicting information even here.

Thanks,

Brennan

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I have _not_ picked this up at Costco for $12.99 because I beleive it to be NON-anamorphic. However I've not tested it and if someone could prove definitively otherwise, I'd buy it. I just don't want to buy Mary Poppins 3 times in this format.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

8. Rain

Rain Producer

I have the DVD (Gold Collection) and I'll double check tonight, but I'm pretty much 100% sure already that it isn't anamorphic.

9. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Mary Poppins: Gold Collection is still presented in letterbox widescreen. Its the same transfer as before but is now on a DVD-9 versus the original release's DVD-5.

10. Andrew Hintz

Andrew Hintz Extra

Well, I was worried there for a sec. I had posted without popping the DVD back into the player again and thought maybe my memory was fooling with me so I put it on just now. I have a 16x9 display and a JVC 723 DVD player. I even set up the player to put black bars on 4x3 content just to make sure. While the menu and trailers (and probably the extras - I didn't check) are all 4x3 when the movie came on it filled my entire screen. So unless something weird is happening with my setup the Gold Collection Mary Poppins is anamorphic.
    --Andrew

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Andrew,

this is *very* interesting. Does your JVC have the "upscale" feature like the panasonic where it can automatically take a 4x3 lbxed image and convert it to 16x9???

What is your TV set to. Is it "zooming" or is it in true 16x9 "full" mode? M.P. is 1.85:1 so if it's zoomed it will fill the screen of a 16x9 display.

-dave

12. Andrew Hintz

Andrew Hintz Extra

Dave,

It doesn't have that feature as far as I know and I've played non-anamorphic titles on it before and when I set it up to windowbox 4x3 content it does it no matter what the AR of the movie is. I am pretty sure it isn't my player doing some kind of technical wizardry but an anamorphic transfer.

--Andrew

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Bizzare...

some body help us out here!

14. Rain

Rain Producer

Nah, it's not bizarre. Maybe Andrew just has the only anamorphic copy of Mary Poppins in the world.
    Like I said, I'll check my copy tonight.
    In the meantime, click here and you will see that WideScreen Review agrees that it isn't.

15. Andrew Hintz

Andrew Hintz Extra

Well, you learn something new everyday. It appears that although the manual makes no mention of it my player does automatically upscale letterboxed films to 16x9 when set in a certain mode - which just happens to be what I've had it in when I've played Mary Poppins. I did some more testing and my copy is in letterbox - my player had done such a good job with its technical wizardry that with the old transfer I didn't notice anything. Sorry for the misinformation!

--Andrew

16. Rain

Rain Producer

17. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Not to worry. The way Disney is going with DVD, it is almost a sure thing that MARY POPPINS will get the full 2-disc special edition treatment within the next few years. It remains, after all, their most prestigious and popular classic film, and it's not yet been given the release it deserves. I have faith.

18. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Andrew,

Don't fee too bad, this DVD fooled me the first few times too. The DVD has some sort of encoding which makes my 16x9 TV pop into zoom mode similar to the way a 16x9 enhanced video stream clicks it into wide screen mode.

The transfer is very good. The only thing that made me suspicious is the scan lines were a little fat compare to anamorphic content and the picture is slightly dim.

The easiest way to tell for sure is to manually flip back to 4:3 mode and see if the picture is squished or if it has letterboxing.

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Very interesting. Glad to know we all now have it figured out.
    Andrew, don't feel bad at all. Let me tell you what stupid "duh" thing *I* had going on this past week.
    (not really related to this thread...but I've been dying to tell somebody this...)
    I just bought a subwoofer...and I took a "Y" connector and ran the L/R pre-out from my B&K receiver into the sub. I thought "boy, it's nice to hear that bass extension" but as the week went by I kept feeling that my stereo just wasn't what it used to be...the soundstage seemed restricted and didn't give the "spread" I used to have from the old days. Everything seemed so "center" focused. I started mental dialogs where I would chastise recording engineers about how their strategies were way to "center" oriented and so many CDs were just under utilizing the front soundtage width.
    Then night before last it finally hit me...for some reason my system was playing everying...movies and music...in mono!!! Even the *test tones* to calibrate speaker level were coming out in mono (L/R simultaneously when just the L or R speaker should have had sound).
    1 hour later after playing with wires I finally pulled the "Y" connector from the L/R pre-amp outputs and wha-la...stereo sound.
    So if a nutso audiophile like me could listen to his stereo playing in mono for a week (on a pair of electrostatic speakers no less!!!) and not figure it out in all that time don't feel bad about the fact that your DVD player had a hidden 4x3 lbx -> 16x9 conversion feature!!!
    -dave [​IMG]

20. Brennan Hill