What's new

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Mary Poppins is my favourite childhood film so really didn't like the idea of revisiting it. However watched it today and thought it was good. Emily Blunt is quite wonderful and Lin-Manuel Miranda was excellent, the ending was very good. I thought that Ben Whishaw was miscast (too theatrical!), and would rather have Mr Banks played by Colin Firth.

In comparison to the 1964 film however the songs were very weak.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We only went to the movie theater about 7 or 8 times in 2018. Because of that, I don't feel invested in any of the forthcoming awards shows. We are, however, planning an Academy Award party in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater. And we plan to see more films in theaters in 2019.

Anyway, to the topic at hand... We saw 'Mary Poppins Returns' today and we absolutely loved it. The musical numbers had me tapping my toe for nearly the entire film. I was clearly in the right mood for the film!

The Booth Bijou gives 'Mary Poppins Returns' 4.5 out of 5 stars. We will definitely be showing it the Garage Theater when it is released on 4K Blu-ray.

Mark

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
If you read the article about "Mary Poppins 3" it says they are tossing ideas around and how it depends on how "Mary Poppins Returns" does. It is not doing the kind of business to warrant a sequel when it comes with a $130million price tag.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
We saw this for the first time on Friday and found it a delightful experience. I liked the manner in which Rob Marshall showed respect to the first film yet created a very fine musical in it’s own right. Emily Blunt was an excellent Mary Poppins and I thought that most of the cast carried their roles well. I was not so impressed with the performance of Lin Manuel Miranda; at times he seemed uncomfortable (to me particularly in the Royal Doulton dance sequences). My quibble with his work is minor and does not diminish from a very enjoyable film overall. A great treat to see Angela Lansbury and Dick Van Dyke and the Meryl Streep cameo bought a smile to face especially the quip regarding accents. The score was enjoyable and moved the story forward.
I will definitely purchase the Blu when it is released.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
People are looking for ANYTHING to be offended by, or anything just to get a few minutes of fame.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
We finally sat down and watched this over the weekend (sort of). Sadly it didn't live up to the hype for us. I found it to be very dark and somewhat unappealing compared to the original. I didn't like how the new Mary was portrayed. She was a real downer IMO>

My 10 year old said at about the halfway point "Do we have to keep watching this?". I kind of felt the same way and we turned it off since it just didn't grab either of us.

I'd have to rate what I saw a 1 out of 5.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Was there a dark cloud hovering over your house? Wow! We found it one of the most delightful movies we have seen in a long time. We thought it equaled or surpassed the original. The Blu is sitting in my new-Blus-to-watch-next-drawer, and I can’t wait to see it again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks