What's new

Mary Poppins Returns (2018) (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Perfectly entertaining, beautiful, superbly cast, okay but not instantly classic music, but I guess you have to be 10 to really get emotionally involved. Just enjoyed it as a spectacle trying to replicate magic. Still applaud the effort and hope it works for a new generation.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I enjoyed it. Very entertaining and felt the movie can stand on its own. I did feel each of the numbers was trying to imitate the same type of emotions/pleasure/story beat from the original.

Technically, this film was amazing - all of the callbacks to the original with the props or the underscore, made me feel like a child again. Feel good moment of the day - Dick van Dyke dancing on the desk.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I just saw this tonight. Decided to do the 10:30 p.m. Dolby showing thinking that there wouldn't be many people there and I was right. Only one other person there. I doubt too many people are willing to stay out until 1 a.m. at the movies the night before Christmas Eve.

I was quite taken aback by this film. While I knew they were doing some throwback to the original, I did not expect this to look and feel like a film from that era. I absolutely loved that! It actually felt like a sequel that could have been made in 1966 or 1967. When people watch old Hollywood musicals and say "They don't make 'em like this anymore", well......they just made one! This is to old musicals from 50-70 years ago, what The Artist was to silent films.

Visually, it's absolutely amazing.....but oh man that orchestral score! Wow, I loved that score! It sounded incredible in Dolby Atmos.

They hit a home run casting Emily Blunt....she was PERFECT for that role.

Not every scene worked for me. The Meryl Streep scene in particular felt totally out of place to me.

As for the songs, I thought most of them were pretty catchy. I'm sure I won't end up doing this, but I'm willing to bet if I were to listen to the soundtrack regularly over the next year I would probably feel it's at lease close to on par with the original. Maybe not equal, but close enough. It looks like I'm in the minority on this, but I think the songs are pretty damn good and I've only heard them once.

Overall, it exceeded my expectations in a big way.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Speaking of Rob Marshall, I enjoyed Marshall's production of "Annie" for television with many outstanding performances in lead roles (Kathy Bates, Alan Cumming, Audra McDonald, Kristin Chenoweth, Victor Garber), and a charming performance by Sarah Highland in the role of put upon Molly in the orphanage. Who knew in 1999 that she would grow up and be so terrific in 'Modern Family"? Happy Holidays and here's wishing a Happy New Year to Sarah Highland.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Speaking of Rob Marshall, I enjoyed Marshall's production of "Annie" for television with many outstanding performances in lead roles (Kathy Bates, Alan Cumming, Audra McDonald, Kristin Chenoweth, Victor Garber), and a charming performance by Sarah Highland in the role of put upon Molly in the orphanage. Who knew in 1999 that she would grow up and be so terrific in 'Modern Family"? Happy Holidays and here's wishing a Happy New Year to Sarah Highland.

I saw the original Broadway production of ANNIE. Who would have thought that Sarah Jessica Parker in a minor role,would become such a big star.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Re: message 263

I too was taken aback by the Meryl Streep sequence. It sounded like she was doing a perfect imitation of Fanny Brice. The REAL Fanny Brice.

Interesting counterpart connection with original Poppins, which featured Ed Wynn as the eccentric relative. Brice and Wynn being vintage stage stars with a unique look and sound.

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
Just saw MPR tonight and loved it! I'm so glad I'm seeing so many of us feel like we were back in the 1960's watching a new movie musical. I felt like that over and over! Such a perfect cast, every single performance is exceptional! The score is among Shaiman & Wittman's best, but hard to judge on only 1 hearing. The lyrics are so dense with wit so lots of stuff flew by. Streep's number is a total hoot! Final sequence of balloons will become a new classic, I guarantee! Welled up, choked up more times than I ever expected. Whishaw wrecks me in everything I see him in. He's one of the most powerful actors alive. Don't miss him in live performances if you ever have the chance. Marshall deserves the same amount of praise he got for Chicago. Not many critics understand how impossible it is to create a movie musical that succeeds on so many levels as this. Spielberg will be lucky to do as well with West Side Story. This movie should be getting raves and more nominations than it's gotten. I hope it gets 12 Oscar nominations!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Saw it this afternoon. What a terrific film. Loved it.

The original was the very first film I saw in a theater (‘66 reissue).

So many lovely touches in the scoring to the Sherman songs.
And nice seeing Karen Dotrice cameo (with original line)

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Agreed. This film is fantastic! Took my wife and two adult daughters to see MPR this afternoon. We always try to see a holiday- or family-themed movie on Christmas Day, so this seemed like a no-brainer. Each of us absolutely enjoyed it. The theater was absolutely packed and applause broke out throughout the auditorium once the closing credits started to roll. For those few of you who haven't made it yet to see MPR, let me just say you need to! This film is respectful to the original and instead of trying to compete with it, draws inspiration from it and even builds on some of the original storylines. Emily Blunt is absolutely mesmerizing as Mary Poppins and I too hope she racks up several nominations as a result. Best film I've seen this Holiday season, hands down. Go see it as soon as you can!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I saw the original Broadway production of ANNIE.
Who would have thought that Sarah Jessica Parker in a minor role,would become such a big star.
Well, Sarah Jessica Parker, for one.;)

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have yet to see anyone ever applaud at a movie I have been to. I really don't see the appeal of applauding to a screen full of people who can neither hear or appreciate the accolade. Just seems kind of weird to me, but to each their own I suppose.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have yet to see anyone ever applaud at a movie I have been to. I really don't see the appeal of applauding to a screen full of people who can neither hear or appreciate the accolade. Just seems kind of weird to me, but to each their own I suppose.

You've NEVER attended a film screening where the audience applauded? Really? I've been to quite a few.
Never happens around here, either. Must be a regional thing, I guess.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We saw this today. It was a lovely movie. I enjoyed it, as did my wife and my kids. I wasn't sure it was the kind of movie 9-year-old boys would be enthused about, but we had shown them the original film earlier this year and they enjoyed that. They came out of this one singing and humming the tunes.

It's a tough thing, pulling off a sequel to one of the most beloved films of all time, but they did as good a job as could be done. This one will be more than a mere curiosity or a bonus on the blu-ray (like so many of Disney's sequels to their animated films were). Emily Blunt was great, despite the fact that her voice doesn't have the range of Julie Andrews. Blunt lacked some of the sweetness that Andrews had too, but only a little. I doubt anyone could have done better. Miranda was great too, and while I would have loved to see what the movie would be like if he'd written the songs, he was a steady presence in the movie. The songs were good too. It's hard to compare them to the original's songs, which have been with us for 54 years and have seeped into our culture and consciousness.

The story was more than a bit more modern, scarier and sadder than the original. These children faced the threat of losing their home, after just losing their mother. I found that sadness pervasive through the movie, despite the joy of the music and the fantastical elements.

The movie will never be as well-regarded as the original, but it's also a bit unfair to judge it that way. It would be as if a new team of artists set about to paint a sequel to the Mona Lisa. Even if they succeed (which I believe Mary Poppins Returns did), it's impossible to match something that's been a cultural touchstone for generations.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I've always witnessed audiences clapping and cheering. Why should it be any different than laughing? People are acknowledging their enjoyment, simple as that. it's also making it a shared experience, even if actors onscreen are unaware. Geez, what a grim audience to be a part of, otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks