Mary Poppins in 2004

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DeeF, Nov 13, 2003.

1. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

On the DVD of The Music Man (Disney TV film with Matthew Broderick) there is a preview of the new Mary Poppins, 2-disk special edition, completely restored. All it says is, coming in 2004.

We've been expecting it, I know, but it was nice to see real evidence.

2. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It's also being made into a stage musical, to open in London next year I believe.

I saw the film at a special music industry preview in NYC before it opened.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

[​IMG]

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'll be happy to finally replace mine with an anamorphically enhanced edition. Anything else will be icing on the cake.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm looking forward to this... I've only seen it on network TV with too many commercials.

This will be another Lowry Digital Image DVD, so it ought to be worth looking forward to.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Looking forward to it too.

The current version is too dark...the movie looks like you're wearing sunglasses compared to the gorgeous color of the older archive edition laserdisc.

Also, the sound on the current DVD is tinny, bright, and lacks fullness. I'm hoping that the new SE DVD addresses both of these problems and am very much looking forward to reviewing it!

dave [​IMG]

7. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The sound may be something of a problem. Disney wasn't known for that part of their filming technique. It always had a thin sound to it. Hopefully they'll be able to enhance it without destroying it. The look of the film, at least when I saw that first preview and subsequent viewings in a theatre, has always been somewhat dark. That was on purpose, London isn't a place where the sun shines too often! I hope they don't overdo the colour as well.

8. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    The skin tones on the last Laserdisc edition and the current DVD look as if everyone has had a mud pack on their face and forgotten to wash it off.

Pray that this time they get the original Technicolor tints right.

The very first pan and scan Laserdisc has been the only one with any resemblance of true Technicolor.

I also thought that the sound on the DVD was somewhat tinny.

I have the region 4 DVD as well, which is Anamorphic, but otherwise uses the same ugly colors and tinny sound.

DeeF.
    Is the new Music Man disc any good? I haven't seen any reviews yet.

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Do you guys want me to review the new music man? I watched a few minites of it (skipping around) and was not impressed (with performances, picture and even sound) but if folks are eager to hear a review I'll give it a shot. What did you think Dee?

dave [​IMG]

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

(OT mode), but here's a vote for a Music Man (2003) review, David. Let me joint he ranks of so many others to rave about your reviews. I'm so pleased you drew the short straw for the Disney/Buena Vista releases! [​IMG] I share your enthusiasm for the content and the quality of the recent releases.

Maybe you could do a "Readers Digest" version of a review to just cover the basics. Re: the Music Man, it would take a a lot to convince me to buy it. I completely missed the ABC airing of the special and anyone I know who saw it compared it less than favorable to the Robert Preston version. (Shocker, eh?) Still, there it sits on the shelves...whispering my name...with its shiny black cover....and stylized logo. I saw Craig Bierko on Broadway in the recent revival and loved it. And, I like Broderick. So, my mind is open. But, funds are limited and there are soooo many options out there. (/OT mode)

Options such as Mary Poppins in 2004! [​IMG] (I think I saw the MP DVD preview at the beginning of the Lion King or Nemo DVD, too.) Three cheers for Lowry/Disney!

12. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

The new Music Man is terrible! Terrible! It's easily the worst of the recent spate of TV musicals. The colors, the costumes, the orchestrations! the revisions in the script -- all are travesties, and can never replace the original.

Matthew Broderick is game, but he isn't the character at all, even though he did play Ferris Buehler. The only redeeming thing in the recent movie is the SINGING voice of Kristen Chenoweth. But her hair! What were they thinking? I think they were thinking that the material is so good it would sell itself. Alas, SOME creativity would be helpful.

I've imagined a much better TV movie of The Music Man, using TV personalities. Eric McCormack, who is Will Truman, played the role of Harold Hill on Broadway and would be a splendid choice for a TV movie revival, with Kelsey Grammer as Mayor Shinn.

It will not happen, of course, but oh well.

The DVD is fine, though the music is so undermixed it really has no impact.

The old DVD of The Music Man should be replaced. The more recent Hello, Dolly! looks splendid -- that's what these 60s 70mm musicals should look like.

But that old movie is terrific! Shirley Jones looks DIVINE, Robert Preston is the only Hill, and the arrangements were by Heindorf and sound smashing. It's really irreplaceable.

13. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I couldn't agree more with DeeF about the horrendous Matthew Broderick MUSIC MAN abortion. It is so dreadful that I would cheer if I heard the negative and all prints had been destroyed!

The original 1962 film is as close to perfection as any translation of a Broadway musical to film could be.

FYI though, THE MUSIC MAN ('62) wasn't a 70mm film......

14. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I don't know why you say that Conrad. It was shot in Technirama...

Technirama

2.2:1 (70mm prints) or 2.35:1 (35mm prints). This process was developed by the Technicolor Corporation, as a way to continue using its three-color process in the wake of competing Eastman Color. It required both a specially developed sideways camera (like VistaVision) and a wide screen lens (like CinemaScope).

Technirama was shot with VistaVision cameras and an anamorphic lens squeezing the image by 25%. The entire 1.5:1 image area was then either optically unsqueezed to 70mm yielding a 2.21:1 aspect ratio, or given an additional squeeze to 35mm 2.35:1 4-perforated (four sprocket holes per frame) Panavision.

Sounds like 70mm to me, though the DVD of The Music Man was probably taken from a 35mm print.

15. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

DeeF:

Yes, I did know it was TECHNIRAMA, and was aware of the details of the process.

However, the original camera negative was 35mm, and I don't believe any 70mm release prints were ever made (although I could be wrong....)

Meanwhile, given it being an 8 perf horizontal neg, WHV could probably stand to give this a new Hi-Def transfer from the 8 perf elements, which would likely yield spectacular results.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Okay, then. No 2003 Music Man for me. Cancel that order, Dave for a review! [​IMG]

DeeF: I'm still reeling from a conversation we had probably a year or so ago in which you informed me that Oklahoma was filmed twice for the two different film formats in vogue at the time. Would love to see both versions released together on DVD sometime.

But, wait, wasn't this thread supposed to be about Mary Poppins?!?! [​IMG] Love those Sherman Brothers! [​IMG]

17. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Although VistaVision cameras used 35mm film, the film rolled through the camera sideways, and the frames were wide and tall. I have always considered this process 70mm, though it wasn't really. I shall have to research and see whether The Music Man was ever actually printed to 70mm. Robert Harris would know, of course.
    Technirama was used for Spartacus.

18. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

A practically perfect Poppins?

YES PLEASE...THANK YOU.
    [​IMG]

19. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Speaking of the Sherman Brothers, does anyone know who owns the rights to the "Tom Sawyer" musical film they wrote the script and composed the music for in the early 70s?

That would be wonderful to see in it's OAR (Panavision if I recall correctly) with little Johnnie Whittaker and Jodie Foster.

Rafael

20. BBbrowd

BBbrowd Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    The 2004 release of the Special Edition Mary Poppins has me very excited. I've even watched the "sneak peek" preview for the new Mary Poppins on the Music Man DVD several times, even though it does not actually include footage from the brand new upcoming restored version. In the preview they use the print that is on the current DVD, but the preview is nicely done and exciting. Hopefully this new set will give Poppins the grand treatment it deserves.

Though an unpopular opinion, I'd like to say that I really do enjoy the new Music Man. No, it's not as good as the '62 version, and Matthew is wrong in the part, but it has several redeeming qualities and is well worth seeing for what it is. Many of the performances were quite good and I particularly enjoyed the new and different staging of the musical numbers. In the '62 original "Ya Got Trouble" number it stayed in one central location. In the new version it starts off in front of a store, moves through the streets, into a barber shop, back out into the streets, then into the Billiard Parlor. There was some interesting choreography involving him jumping onto a moving cart as the towns people followed. These changes are not "better" than the first film, just something I thought was nice.

Molly Shannon was really fun as the Mayor's wife, and Janine Theriault as Ethel Toffelmier, the pianola girl, was really charming.* She looked like something right out of the turn of the century.

I also liked the idea of putting the first rendition of the ladies' "Pick-a-Little, Talk-a-Little" into a Hat shop, and then including the seldom heard reprise in the Ice Cream shop later in the film. Another nice touch was having the busy outdoor streets visible from the interiors of the shops as the scenes were played out. One of the standout moments in the film is "Till There Was You" on the foot bridge. Very nicely played. In the extras of the DVD there is also a very nice live performance by Kristin Chenoweth of "Till There Was You".

Kristin Chenoweth was great as Marian, even though I agree her hair should have been styled differently. I still remember Kristin's amazing performance of "Spoonful of Sugar" two years ago on the Kennedy Center Honors, honoring Julie Andrews. She blew the audience away and Julie gave her a big thumbs up.