What's new

DVD Review Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman: The Complete Series DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Bought the set for $100 on Amazon.Hard to pass up on the great deal.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
JohnMor said:
In celebration, Loretta Haggers is singing her hits over to the Capri Lounge (inside the bowling alley) tonight...

Including her ode to Fernwood (Streets of this Town):

Three Mary Kay Place albums are currently available at Amazon and elsewhere, released as one double CD and a single CD of an album which was recorded in 1979 but never released.

Her first album reached #6 on the Billboard country chart and two of her singles (one a duet with Willie Nelson) were top ten country hits.

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Amazon must have sold many Mary Hartman sets,they now are listing "usually ships from 1 to 3 weeks".

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'd love to play Mary Kay Place followed by Vickie Lawrence on my country morning show but I think the boss would have words with me.

Mine was in town yesterday but they're making me wait... :huh:

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I don't know much about this show, but just ordered this set. The price is not that bad now.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Looooong story, but mine was lost for a little while even though they scanned it delivered, they had a broke down truck and just goofed trying to make due. A lady from the PO personally brought it to me on her way home.

It's a nice large set. Shout! did good again with what Sony could not. Worth full price. ty shout!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Radioman970 said:
It's a nice large set. Shout! did good again with what Sony could not. Worth full price. ty shout!
Back in the pre-VCR days it was impossible to watch MH MH five nights a week, so it's great to catch up on the episodes that I missed. And I now have a greater appreciation for the great job of acting by Louise Lasser.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Richard Gallagher said:
Back in the pre-VCR days it was impossible to watch MH MH five nights a week, so it's great to catch up on the episodes that I missed. And I now have a greater appreciation for the great job of acting by Louise Lasser.
Yes, she is really amazing in the role now that I watch it through adult eyes.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Still $99 (as of this typing). Great price! Couldn't resist.
Looking forward to revisiting this show again as I was just a kid when this show originally aired. I remember bits and pieces but I didn't watch every single episode. I'm sure a lot of the content and jokes went over my head. Saw it again in reruns in the 1980s.
Now that I'm an adult, I'm sure I'll enjoy it more.
Same thing happened with Maude. I didn't find that show funny until I got much older.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I ended up with no DVD 1 in mine. They sent me a double shot of DVD 2. I hope Shout! will just fix that. I sent a email to them. We'll see. ..

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I actually have the Sony Volume 1, so it's not like I don't have all the episodes. :) The Shout! people said don't send back the duplicate, asked for my address and said they'd send a DVD #1 to me FOC. There ya go! I'm happy again. No shouting required to get that done.

I watched a few back to back... like Dark Shadows, it's popcorn. I need some kind of clever 1970s T-shirt to wear during like "Don't talk to me! I'm Mr. Mom right now and the soaps rolling... " Sure makes me wish there were more soap sets. I've yet to finish SOAP so I need to rotate all 3, DS, MHMH and SOAP!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
After the pilot, I found the first 3 or so discs of episodes tough going. But now it's cooking (Loretta just appeared on "Dinah!"). Still some scenes that are repetitive and don't move the story along and don't have any real gems in them in terms of writing and playing, but they don't predominate. But it is amazing how it both satirized and duplicated 70's daily soaps, from the dialogue to the pacing. And while Mary can annoy at times, I absolutely adore Louise Lasser in that role. She is just fantastic.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm now up through Episode #46 and I'm really enjoying this series! Lots of great acting with some familiar faces showing up in smaller parts. Last night James Cromwell showed up as a priest! I also loved the "station wagon full of nuns" that collided with Loretta & Charlie (a call-back to an "All In The Family" episode), they even had Anne Ramsey playing one of the nuns!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was watching one of my all time favorite comedies (seen it many many times), the Out of Towners with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis. During the 'Murray" scene I recognized Graham Jarvis, Mary Kay Place's hubby from MHMH. I had never recognized him before in that even though I've known the actor from years of being a fan of that film as well as Mr. Mom which he also appears in. He looks so different in Out of Towners. Very sinister... a bit like that nazi dude from Raiders of the Lost Ark, the one who burns his hand on the medallion. Took all these years to place him in out of towners.

I hope Out of Towners gets a blu one day. They'll sell 1 at least.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Radioman970 said:
I was watching one of my all time favorite comedies (seen it many many times), the Out of Towners with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis. During the 'Murray" scene I recognized Graham Jarvis, Mary Kay Place's hubby from MHMH. I had never recognized him before in that even though I've known the actor from years of being a fan of that film as well as Mr. Mom which he also appears in. He looks so different in Out of Towners. Very sinister... a bit like that nazi dude from Raiders of the Lost Ark, the one who burns his hand on the medallion. Took all these years to place him in out of towners.

I hope Out of Towners gets a blu one day. They'll sell 1 at least.
LOVE The Out of Towners as well! ("Oh my God!") Graham Jarvis also plays the bailiff in the courtroom scene at the climax of What's Up Doc?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
JohnMor said:
LOVE The Out of Towners as well! ("Oh my God!") Graham Jarvis also plays the bailiff in the courtroom scene at the climax of What's Up Doc?
I still need to get What's Up Doc? I don't think I've ever seen it. And Paper Moon is my #1 favorite comedy of all time. Same director...

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I asked this over at imdb, but so far no responses, so I'll ask here:
I'm up to episode 36 on the DVDs.Did Loretta become paralyzed as a result of the car accident or did the Doctor accidentally cause it due to malpractice?At first, I thought it was because of the car accident, but there is a scene where the doctor (played by Howard Morton) wants her husband, Charlie, to sign some papers. Then, later another doctor gets fired, and I'm just trying to understand what I missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks