What's new

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman - The Complete Series Coming from Shout! Dec. 2013 (1 Viewer)

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Brian Himes said:
WOW! Total surprise. Maybe Shout will come through with this release. However, didn't they say the same thing about Fat Albert and then still managed to screw up that set? I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see.
Kind of like the first season Route 66 episode that was so badly butchered from Infinty...didn't Shout claim improved masters on that one and it never happened?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
John Karras said:
Kind of like the first season Route 66 episode that was so badly butchered from Infinty...didn't Shout claim improved masters on that one and it never happened?
That's right, John, and they never said a word about it after the release. I believe they also made promises about uncut episodes of RHODA and that also was a lie. There are probably more examples, but these are the two I remember.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Professor Echo said:
That's right, John, and they never said a word about it after the release. I believe they also made promises about uncut episodes of RHODA and that also was a lie. There are probably more examples, but these are the two I remember.
The only promise I remember about Rhoda was that seasons one and two would be miles apart in terms of quality and content. That did hold true for Rhoda seasons two, three and four. Those seasons were indeed complete and uncut but for some the damage was done.

With Fat Albert, they delayed the release for almost a year. Stated that the delay was for a very good reasons and that fans would be pleased with the set. Well, as was discovered, 60 episodes were edited, most of the 72-82 episodes had the wrong opening titles and end credites and one episode was the censored version instead of the uncensored original broadcast version. Too date, Shout has never responded to or even acknowledged these errors to the Fat Albert set.

What worries me is that Shout will constantly acknowledge the fact that there are existing issues with a series (Fat Albert for example) and they will promise that fans will be pleased with the sets. They sometimes even go so far as to say yes, the set will be the complete uncut original broadcast versions and then not follow through with that. Once fans voice their displeasure, then the back peddling and apologies begin. Followed closely by the ever present, plea for us to give them another chance. It's an all too familiar pattern with them.

I really, really do hope that this set is 100% original as broadcoast uncut verions of all 325 episodes. With a price tag of over $200.00, if this set isn't right I get the feeling Shout is going to get a lot of feedback.

nlad90

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Shout! has put up a special offer - order it through their site and they'll ship it on/around November 5th.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Mark Tay said:
The broadcast order was:

MH, MH season one (Jan 5, 1976 to Jul 2, 1976)
MH, MH digest re-runs of season one (Jul 5, 1976 to Oct 1, 1976)
MH, MH season two (Oct 4, 1976 to Jul 1, 1977)
Fernwood 2 Nite (Jul 4, 1977 to Sep 30, 1977)
Forever Fernwood (Oct 3, 1977 to Mar 31, 1978)
America 2 Nite (Apr 10, 1978 to Jul 7, 1978)

This was the broadcast schedule recommended by Norman Lear's production company, which most stations followed. However, since these shows were distributed via syndication rather than network run, stations could opt to broadcast them later. So, a few markets showed them anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months, later than the dates listed above.
I remember in Chicago, America 2Nite was on during the summer of 1978, but for the final two weeks (ending Friday, September 1) they re-ran the first ten episodes of Fernwood 2Nite. I wonder what was up with that. Since Mary Hartman had premiered, the station (WFLD) had aired a Norman Lear show (the ones listed above) in that timeslot (10 PM). And after the two week "Fernwood encore," Sanford & Son aired in that timeslot.

Chaney

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
nlad90 said:
Shout! has put up a special offer - order it through their site and they'll ship it on/around November 5th.
Is it possible that those receiving the set early will serve as guinea pigs?

Maybe it's best to wait?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Brian Himes said:
I really, really do hope that this set is 100% original as broadcast uncut versions of all 325 episodes. With a price tag of over $200.00, if this set isn't right I get the feeling Shout is going to get a lot of feedback.
The first thing I plan to do is check episode 22 and see if the scene with the hillbillies has been restored to it.

nlad90

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke
Richard Gallagher said:
The first thing I plan to do is check episode 22 and see if the scene with the hillbillies has been restored to it.
My set arrived today from Shout and I checked - they're there!

The set is gorgeous, and both designed and packaged well. So excited to have it.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Richard Gallagher said:
I just got it and episode 22 is restored! The version of Mary Hartman I had on DVD (from the Norman Lear Collection) for episode 22 did not have any footage of the rednecks coming up to Charlie and Loretta's broken car and pulling a gun on them. Then episode 23 starts with the rednecks already holding Charlie and Loretta at gun point. In the Shout Factory version episode 22 has Charlie and Loretta working on their broken car and then the rednecks starting talking to them for a few minutes before they pull out a shotgun. It looks like Shout Factory have corrected everything from what I have seen, and it is safe to buy it now from them, and start enjoying now!

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
While I would love to have this early, I already pre-ordered at Amazon for $174.99. I won't make the mistake of ordering from Shout directly again, as I did so in 2010 for S4 of RHODA and they charged me $27 shipping to Canada for a 4-disc DVD set. I can only imagine what the shipping cost would be for a set as big as MHMH--well over $100 likely!

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Just a heads up for everyone: deep discount has this as part of their "big sale". With tax and shipping it's $143. Couldn't pass that up.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I did just come across a cut episode from season 2 episode 174. It comes in at around 17 minutes. I'm still thrilled with the Mary Hartman set, but would love to know why this episode was cut.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
IntoIt said:
What's the running time of all the other episodes?
The uncut episodes come in at a little over 22 minutes (Dark Shadows has the same length) and that is the correct length. If five minutes is all that's missing from the complete series I will be thrilled. There are a lot more classic songs that characters are singing to themselves (usually Dody Goodman) then I remembered and all those songs had to be cleared by Shout Factory. They have done a great job so far. I'm about 200 episodes in to the series and except for one episode (#174) they have been perfect.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So the set has now been out for almost a year. Has anyone been able to finish it yet? I've got less than a hundred episodes left and I've really enjoyed it so far. I even bought Ben Stein's book to go along with it. This was a blind buy for me, based on the great things I had heard about it, but also because I wanted to support big releases like this. I'm thrilled to see Shout! doing more.After I finish MH2, I'd love to see the follow up shows. Fernwood 2-Nite and America 2-Nite are "floating around" so I can watch all those episodes without an official release (as much as I'd like to see that happen). But Fernwood Forever - I can't find that anywhere. Even the Paley Center doesn't even have a single episode. I can't even find anything about the story lines. I hope that MH2 was a big seller for Shout! and that a Fernwood/America 2-Night and Fernwood Forever set will follow, but I know that's just wishful thinking.Did anyone here watch Fernwood Forever when it aired? In a few months I would love to find out what happened, and how it concluded.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I haven't finished my set but I watch it in bursts kind of like I do with Dark Shadows. Just depends on my mood.

I am on or around epsidode 125-127ish Currently Mary is really yelling and screaming a LOT. So much is going on it drives me crazy lol Currently Mary is in the Toy store and wants to buy that doll house for Heather.

I hate how characters never say what they should be saying or asking. It never seems as funny as I am watching it until I start thinking about everything going on and that makes it funny IMO. I like the show but I just wish some storylines moved a lot faster. The whole Sgt Foley thing OMG honestly.

It is interesting to hear about other peoples thoughts on storylines but try to reference when they occur that way others can dodge the spoilers. :)

Something tells me most people are much further ahead on the show then I am. I bought my set last December

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I am at around 228 or 229. I got the set in November but didn't start watching until late December.
I agree about the screaming - it grinds on the nerves, and Mary isn't exactly my favorite character on the show (though she's terrific at times). Which is why I imagine I'd enjoy Forever Fernwood.
That said, Jack, you have some great, classic episodes right ahead of you. You're right at the start of the show's most famous arc. Do check out the set's special features after another 10 episodes or so.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Usually I save the special features after I watched the complete series. But I will keep that in mind. I may try to power thru as many eps as I can in the near future.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Powell&Pressburger said:
I hate how characters never say what they should be saying or asking. It never seems as funny as I am watching it until I start thinking about everything going on and that makes it funny IMO. I like the show but I just wish some storylines moved a lot faster. The whole Sgt Foley thing OMG honestly.
OMG, so true. But that was also dead on to how the real soaps were back in the 70's.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've been watching one episode per day (Monday-Friday) and am currently on #164. This was a blind buy for me as well and I'm really enjoying the show. Lots of great actors in smaller parts (Dabney Coleman, Howard Hesseman, Martin Mull, etc.) I especially get a hoot out of Heather Hartmann and the Hagers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks