Marx Bros dilemma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MartinTeller, Feb 27, 2002.

1. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

About an hour ago I'm in Borders, picking up Battle of the Planets Vol 3 & 4 (no trading cards this time? or did I get "bad" copies?), and what should I see but the Marx Bros box set!! For $27.99!!!! I am a big big fan of these movies so of course I snatch it up eagerly.

So now I've got it here, and I'm wondering if anyone has announced a re-release of these films. If they're due to be reissued soon, I might keep it sealed and eBay it. But I WILL NOT part with it unless I'm sure a re-release is on the horizon.

Anyone know?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Universal might be putting out better editions soon.

They recently came out with SE's of the Road to... movies which originally had sub-par discs that were released by Image.

Horse Feathers is the most important one to restore for the fact that there's chunks missing from one scene that make it look like the film was run through a lawnmower.

3. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

Nice find, but Universal desperately needs to restore these films. Maybe add a commentary by Maltin. Patrick is right, Horse Feathers looks like it was dragged behind a car. Whoever has the rights to A Night at the Opera needs to release this on dvd too.

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Warner has the rights to most of the other Marx Brothers films including A Night at the Opera & A Day at the Races, the 2 that I'm most anxious to see on DVD.

I would have to think that Universal recognizes that a Marx Brothers box set would make an excellent DVD release, especially since they did release the Road pictures.

However, If I were you I would open the box set. How can you have that sitting in your house and not watch it?!

5. MartinTeller

I remember that scene in Horse Feathers... I always thought it was just bad/lazy editing.

Well, it sounds like there's no confirmation of a re-release, so I will definitely be keeping the box for myself. I should have checked to see if they had Cocoanuts and Monkey Business too! Looks like I'm going back to Borders this weekend....

6. Enrique B Chamorro

Enrique B Chamorro Supporting Actor

Leonard Maltin did the commentary track for Criterion's

laser disc of "A Night at the Opera" and the video intro's

for the "Our Gang" DVD's and Disney's Collector Tin DVD's.

He would probably like recording new tracks for all of the

Marx Brothers films.

7. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Are there details somewhere as to the cut scene in Horse Feathers? I own the disc and the film didn't seem any different than any other version I'd seen.

8. MartinTeller

AFAIK, it's not different from any other version and all the current prints have the same problem. It's a scene in need of restoration (if at all possible, which I have serious doubts about).

If I recall correctly (haven't watched the film for several years), it's a scene where Groucho runs into a room, says something to someone (Dumont, perhaps?) and then runs out again. There are some very jarring edits that gives the scene a rough, choppy feel.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

It's amazing how many movies they made and how few are out on DVD or for that matter LD. I just picked up the Keaton Box and can't believe the Marx Bros don't have something similiar.

Guess studios have there priorities and hey; American Pie 2 neds a Super Deluxe Unrated version release - who has time for A night a the Opera or A Day the races?!?!!?

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

11. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

Thread resurrected. Looking for Marx Brothers DVDs at the moment shows none available new from the usual online outlets, just second hand copies, which are going for quite a price (Duck Soup at around $60).

Are these likely to get a re-release at some point?

12. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

Warner only has rights to The Big Store, Go West, At The Circus, Room Service, A Day At the Races, and A Night at the Opera. I'll find out tomorrow from my super secret spy* at WB if any are planned for DVD.

-Thomas D

* not a real spy.

13. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

These are some of my most eagerly awaited discs. I've always noted the choppy edits in "Horse Feathers" and would love to see this movie restored. "Horse Feathers" is easily my favorite Marx Bros. movie. If they are to be re-released, please do them properly, and I would love to have a Maltin commentary on all of them.