What's new

Marvin Gaye and John Hiatt on Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
But not on the same disc :D

From Matt Rowe's Music Tap:

The first is SACD news. I've just become aware of a few new and upcoming SACD titles from Universal. The first is Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On", a title that I will stop at nothing to acquire and which is expected to appear May 20. The second is a John Hiatt title, "Bring The Family", due on May 13. The John Hiatt SACD is a hybrid disc while the Marvin Gaye disc is not.

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Keith,

I believe the Marvin Gaye will be the deluxe edition where the 2 CD's are on 1 SACD, like they did with the Who and the Police Live discs.

Frankly, I would prefer that to a release where it needs to be 2 discs to accomodate the CD layer.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Emil, I love the fact that the Who SACD has 91 minutes of music on one disc. That is novel. However, I would prefer two discs if it meant making it a hybrid.

Perhaps we are seeing a little marketing of the SACD format from Universal. Although they have not advertised it, I wonder if they are hoping that people will notice that two-disc CD releases are coming out as single-disc releases on SACD. By making the SACDs single-layer releases (which I still don't like), Universal is making SACD look more efficient, so to speak.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Emil, by the way, I am glad to see Universal putting the Deluxe Editions on SACD. I just wish they had done that for Coltrane A Love Supreme. That's another inconsistency from Universal.

MattCPT

Stunt Coordinator
Another SACD that I would have bought if it wasn't a single layer. I personally hope that single layers fail to sell a significant amount, forcing Sony and Universal to go with hybrid only. I will do my part by ignoring this release until it is re-released as a hybrid, hopefully a multichannel hybrid.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if the reason Universal is so inconsistent (single/dual layer) with sacd's is because 1) Internally, they don't agree on how to market sacd, or 2) there is not enough manufacturing capacity for dual-layer sacd's. Either way, much like dvd-audio, to the average consumer it makes this new format look kind of amateurish.

Luckily, flipper technology (dvd-audio's hybrid) is proven technology. And as far as manufacturing capacity goes--witness the amount of dvd-video discs out there, especially the ones for TV show box-sets. I think the only potential problem is trying to squeeze in some dvd-a flipper production in between Season 6 of "The X-Files" and the next run of "24" discs. :)

LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Luckily, flipper technology (dvd-audio's hybrid) is proven technology.
Lance,

This is an interesting statement given that SACD hybrids are well PROVEN technology and the DVDA flipper is not even out yet. Right now, the only proven flipper is a dolphin and DVD Video.

It will probably not be a big deal to do a DVDA flipper, but until one exists in the public domain - it seems silly to imply that hybrid SACDs are somehow not proven. None of my 200 have failed.

Production capacity for hybrids is coming on line quickyly with new facilities by Sony and Crest National and several others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks