What's new

Marvel's The Inhumans (IMAX & ABC) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
A lot of people have probably given up on the show, but last Friday's episode was actually pretty good. I hope the show can find a way to survive and come back retooled, perhaps with a new showrunner and new direction.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A lot of people have probably given up on the show, but last Friday's episode was actually pretty good. I hope the show can find a way to survive and come back retooled, perhaps with a new showrunner and new direction.
There is only two episodes left so I'll watch those two for sure.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sure it had a rough start but I'm really enjoying this show. I like it a lot better than Agents of Shield, that show never grabbed me, and I gave it many chances. So The Inhumans must be doing something right.

Sad thing is, this is ABC so the chances of a Blu-Ray release are about 0.0%.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Well if there is a way to get this on BD, I'll be the first in line.

For some reason it reminds me of those first run syndicated shows of old(The Lost World, Beastmaster). I miss good old goofy adventure/fun with an attractive cast. This show excels at that.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Kevin Feige had a great response to a question about his feelings on how Marvel Studios could have handled The Inhumans compared to how Marvel Television's "quick and cheap" (a quote from one of the directors on what the television division wanted, thanks Ike) approach has butchered it.

I know you’re a huge Inhumans fan, and you lost that property to TV. Now, with that doing how it’s doing on television, do you look at that and go, well, maybe it’s best we didn’t do that one? Or do you still wish you had that property because you think you could have really knocked out of the park?

[Laughs] You’re breaking up, Mike. I can’t hear you. You’re breaking up…

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I still think comic book fans are being too tough on this. Is the acting forced in scenes, does the story take odd, illogical turns?
Yes.

But this is in the world of comic books. Not everything has to be perfect, and dead on serious/groundbreaking.

The reason I liked diversity in my comic collecting. I thought The Amazing Spiderman 121-122 were super, and also thought Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur was great.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just watched the most recent one last night, and... yeah, it's not particularly good. There's so much of it that's so hard for me to take seriously. It just doesn't pass the giggle test for me. In terms of story, I'm much more on the side of Ash from Vicious (Maximus) - the idea of a caste system on the moon, where humans are enslaved to inhumans, is wrong and dumb, and should be brought down. The royal family, at least as portrayed onscreen, has shown no demonstrable reason for why I should be supportive or sympathetic to them. The costumes and effects are often second rate, the scripts are poor which leads to the actors being stuck performing unperformable material.

And, I think I mentioned this before, but I'm realizing with this show what an ingenious stylistic choice it's been in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and, in general, the new DC movies) to not have characters solely referred to by their superhero names. In the new Wonder Woman movie, she's called "Diana" onscreen, not "Wonder Woman" at every turn. Iron Man is called Tony Stark, Captain America is referred to as Steve Rogers. Every time a character walks up the the king and starts calling him "Black Bolt", or worse, breathlessly exclaims their allegiance towards and hatred for "Black Bolt," it makes me want to giggle.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
the idea of a caste system on the moon, where humans are enslaved to inhumans

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the caste system covers all Inhumans. Maximus is the only human in Attilan. The castes are based on inhuman powers: your powers dictate your placement.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the caste system covers all Inhumans. Maximus is the only human in Attilan. The castes are based on inhuman powers: your powers dictate your placement.

I could be completely wrong, or it could be a case of the show being unclear, but I was under the impression that the majority of the people being held as laborers did not get any powers when they touched the magic rock crystal thingy. Whether that makes them human or inhuman, I don't know.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
No, I believe they all are Inhumans and have "powers", but the quality of the power and relevance to manual labor/mining dictates what caste they are assigned to. Maximus is the only one who became nothing (or Human). Remember, the boy with the premonitions? His father, who is in the mining caste, has those reptilian-like arms. Apparently good for digging.

Still, the caste system Kingdom isn't something that I, as a viewer, have any interest in seeing preserved or victorious. Maximus is basically right.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
No, I believe they all are Inhumans and have "powers", but the quality of the power and relevance to manual labor/mining dictates what caste they are assigned to. Maximus is the only one who became nothing (or Human). Remember, the boy with the premonitions? His father, who is in the mining caste, has those reptilian-like arms. Apparently good for digging.

Still, the caste system Kingdom isn't something that I, as a viewer, have any interest in seeing preserved or victorious. Maximus is basically right.

Right. This is my understanding, too.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
They are all Inhumans or they would die during terragenesis. After terragenisis, those who exhibit powers are taken into the elite caste while those who don't display powers toil in the mines. Being a royal son, Maximus is allowed to live with the rest of the royal family instead of being shipped to the mines, which may be another reason he wants to overthrow the caste system. The boy who could see the future was thrown into the mines because no one thought he had any powers. Maximus is the only one aware that he can see the future.

I never watched past the premiere because... come on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure that the show is any better to me, but it's at least clearer to me now - thanks guys :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
They are all Inhumans or they would die during terragenesis. After terragenisis, those who exhibit powers are taken into the elite caste while those who don't display powers toil in the mines. Being a royal son, Maximus is allowed to live with the rest of the royal family instead of being shipped to the mines, which may be another reason he wants to overthrow the caste system. The boy who could see the future was thrown into the mines because no one thought he had any powers. Maximus is the only one aware that he can see the future.

I never watched past the premiere because... come on.

No, that's not right. The mine caste have Inhuman powers/abilities, but they are just deemed (for whatever reason the lazy writers of this sub-par show are going with) suitable for the mines and less "special". As I pointed out above, the boy's father (who is in the mining caste) has super strong reptilian arms. You're not watching, but Maximus enlisted Inhumans from the mining caste to go down to Earth to fight against Black Bolt and company.

And normal Humans would not die from terrigenesis. You are thinking of how on Agents of SHIELD the initial terrigen we saw was infused with the alien metal (or whatever) that would kill Humans. But we later learned that pure terrigen itself was completely harmless to normal Humans. The most significant example of that is how the release of the terrigen into the food chain resulted in Inhumans popping up all over but not mass death of normal Humans.

Maximus going through terrigenesis and coming out "Human" was unique, not something typical.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Did I miss something or did they drop a scene from Friday's episode?

Anyone know what I'm taking about?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Did I miss something or did they drop a scene from Friday's episode?

Anyone know what I'm taking about?

It totally seemed like there was a scene (or at least a sequence) missing before the "big reveal" that Maximus had full knowledge/suspicion of the plot against him. There was a jarring jump right to "gotcha!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks