What's new

Marvel's The Inhumans (IMAX & ABC) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is it possible that The Inhumans has been cancelled already?

It Appears As If Marvel's INHUMANS Has Been Cancelled By ABC Before Season 1 Even Airs

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/m...lled-by-abc-before-season-1-even-airs-a153972

Of concern is this poster which refers to the "complete series" of the show, not "first season."

k71wejmaecdfnev6div6.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I had thought that it was always intended to be a miniseries rather than a full show that would be returning from year to year. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

When this was announced, I had intended on seeing the premiere in IMAX, but it wasn't really practical that week with my schedule. Add to that that the trailer shown before Guardians 2 did nothing to make me want to come out and see it. Since my IMAX theater has reserved seating, you can tell online from the seating chart and what's available how well it's selling, and it looked like there were many showings during its one week run where not a single ticket was sold. I'm not sure how much of that was because people didn't know it was there, because it didn't look good, or because the thought of paying $26 a ticket for something that will be on TV for free in two weeks seemed crazy, but it would appear the IMAX premiere made absolutely no impact whatsoever.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm sure they will air all of them. Too much money put into it.

I was kinda of meh on the premier. I'll watch the rest, but I'm not really into it at all so far.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
After all, viewing all of this entire series may very well be 8 hours that could be applied watching much better shows.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the two-hour premiere. The IMAX cinematography was well done, and really leveraged the Hawaii location shooting. And Anson Mount gives an interesting, expressive performance as Black Bolt.

But those are the only good things I have to say about it. This is the worst written thing I've seen in a long, long time. More than half of the dialog was expository in nature, and consisted of characters announcing things that everybody else in the room already knew. Plot developments happen because the script needs them to happen, not because they've developed organically. Nobody feels like a real person, and the realm of Attilan doesn't have any weight to it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the first episode a lot more than I thought I would. Not saying that the negative criticism is all unfounded, but I do think it goes too far. The look of the show is very faithful to the source material, and the casting seems good so far. I will definitely stay with it for the full 8 episodes. I may even hope it gets renewed, albeit with a new focus on its shortcomings.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It was bad. It was really bad. Just so slow and stilted. Every scene was like pulling teeth. The entire sequence of Crystal having Lockjaw teleport everyone to Hawaii had no flow to it. Why is Black Bolt stealing clothes? And seriously, these assholes are running a caste system on the moon? I mean, coup isn't unjustified. Karnak is a total asshole for no reason. Black Bolt literally does nothing but scowl, I have no idea how he can rule. The costumes and sets flat out suck. The fact that it's only 8 episodes makes it that much easier for me to drop the show.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Finally decided to watch the first episode last night via Hulu, knowing full well the critical and (mostly) audience response to the IMAX presentation was subpar.

It starts out well enough, with a bit of action...in a jungle which reminded me of LOST. I even thought to myself: "Hey, ABC must have taken stock out in Hawaii filming locations. I saw this place for six years on LOST." Anyway, moving on.

This was one slow moving hour. Holy cow. There is so much talking from actors who are completely uninspired by the material it's not even funny. I can't pick one actor who is plugged into the show (maybe Maximus...?). So, we have bad acting. That's coupled with lethargic writing. If we're going to do a fall from power and the eventual rise back to power, we have to care about this universe. I don't. Not even close. What's the connection to everything else in the MCU? Tell me why this matters aside from being a side story to Avengers.

Then there's the cheap action scenes. I think it's all epitomized in the scene where Medusa looses her hair. Maximus uses a standard clipper you can find in freaking Walgreens. This clipper is available on the moon in a cloaked city no one on Earth knows about. Are you kidding me?

I can't imagine this is going to get any better, based on what I hear about episode 2. I also can't justify wasting seven more hours on Inhumans. If it gets better, I'm sure I'll hear about it from one of you guys. But I'm one and done with this show for almost the exact same reasons I bailed on Agents of SHIELD and everything on Netflix: I just didn't care.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
For me I found the writing and editing to be sub par. Heck, I might even go so far as to say the directing wasn't very good either. But I'm going to stay with it just to see if it gets any better even though it's been canceled.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I finally saw two hour finale that ABC broadcast last week. I had two thoughts:

1. I am so glad I didn't spend $26 for a ticket to see it in IMAX
and
2. This is the worst thing Marvel Studios has produced since the inception of the MCU

Nothing about it was good. The special effects were laughably bad, and though they filmed with the IMAX-branded Arri digital camera, the photography was so boring that nothing about it screamed IMAX. The performances were horrendous. And frankly, I was on the villain's side. The idea of a civilization living secretly on the moon, where a majority of non-powered people must live as slave labor for a minority of powered individuals? And they're out of space and resources? Yeah, it's stupid to stay there. Let the non-powered people go back to Earth and live as humans. Then there's enough room for everyone. Problem solved.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm not sure why we are supposed to be rooting for entitled jerks who are exploiting anyone who doesn't exhibit superpowers and outright murdering anyone trying to change the status quo. Is Maximus supposed to be the secret hero?

And I had a real issue with Black Bolt getting arrested for stealing clothes. That entire standoff with the cops was a protracted mess.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I found it very hard to even take the character seriously as they kept calling him "Black Bolt". It made me realize how genius Marvel was, on the movie side, for getting us to identify the superheroes as much by their real names as anything else. In the movies, they use their real names at least as often as the costume names, and the ones that actually know each other always use their real names or nicknames. I had never put thought into the idea that hearing them all call each other "Iron Man" and "Captain America" in casual conversation would sound silly, but Inhumans proves it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Episode 3 was pretty good. It carried the story along nicely, and definitely made me think the first two episodes never should have been released as a standalone IMAX "movie." These eight episodes are clearly going to be one story. It some ways, the show is a poor man's Agents of Shield (they're clearly saving money by dropping superhuman characters into normal, 2017 society. I think a lot of the dissatisfaction with the show is that "The Inhumans" calls out for something on a grander scale.

That said, with lowered expectations, this show is a pleasant enough diversion right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks