What's new

Disney+ Secret Invasion (Marvel Cinematic Universe) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I originally posted this as a reply to @Sam Favate's earlier MCU series thread, and then I thought, no. WandaVision broke out of that thread when there was a trailer, so we might as well break this out into its own thread right now. If She-Hulk can get her own thread from the beginning, Nick Fury should too. Anyway, he is getting his own Disney+ show with Samuel L. Jackson of course set to star.

The most obvious questions here are:

(1) Is this going to be Nick Fury in Space?

(2) When will this be set relative to Captain Marvel 2? After Far From Home revealed Fury was in space, I assumed the reason for that was to make him available to appear in Carol's sequel. Endgame made very clear that she sees herself as a cosmic hero, but her dynamic with Fury was one of the best things about her first movie. So the solution is to bring him to her next time, instead of the other way around. This project will probably be very different depending on whether it is se prior to the events of the next film or after them.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Whatever it is, I'm there. Sam Jackson is one of my favorite actors of all time. I'd love to see some genuine political intrigue (a la The Winter Solider) with Jackson at the center.

Of course, the Variety article doesn't specify that the show will be "Nick Fury." It could be a SHIELD show, or a SWORD show, or something else. If it's SHIELD or SWORD, I'd love to see appearances by the Agents of SHIELD cast. They did a terrific seven years, and it'd be great to see at least some of them back again.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course, the Variety article doesn't specify that the show will be "Nick Fury."

Right. But since Nick Fury is the only character we know will be in it, I went with that for the thread title. Once Disney announces the title, if it's something else, I'll change the thread title accordingly.

I'd love to see appearances by the Agents of SHIELD cast.

I understand the desire, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The difference between Agents of SHIELD and this show is Kevin Feige's involvement, and I doubt he's going to want to have anything to do with something that he didn't produce.

Also, for me, I could never get past the unfortunate decision to bring back Coulson in that show, which neutered The Avengers film of its most significant emotional beat. As such, I am perfectly happy to pretend that show never existed. That being said, I know a lot of people disagree with me on that, which is fine.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Also, for me, I could never get past the unfortunate decision to bring back Coulson in that show, which neutered The Avengers film of its most significant emotional beat. As such, I am perfectly happy to pretend that show never existed. That being said, I know a lot of people disagree with me on that, which is fine.

Well, Jackson himself did appear on AoS, and explained why Coulson was back, but I get the desire to see less of that old comic book cliche resurrection.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, Jackson himself did appear on AoS, and explained why Coulson was back

I know. I watched two or three episodes of it before deciding it wasn't for me. If they want to use him and/or acknowledge that show in this one, that is absolutely their prerogative. But I think his being alive undermines the emotional significance of his Avengers death, so I never liked it. It always felt to me like Joss Whedon intended for him to stay dead, but then ABC said, "Oh, we want someone from the films to lead our series" and so that was undone in the name of corporate synergy.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
As an aside, Agents of Shield trod a delicate and sometimes shaky line between trying to be connected with what was happening in the MCU and forging its own identity. Once it went its own way, it had a mildly interesting mythology that was often a bit too confusing for its own good. I stayed with it as it was fun to watch the bickering between the characters of Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter. The partnership was intriguing enough that there was intent to spin them off into their own series. When that wasn't greenlit, my interest in AoS dropped.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Based on the stinger at the end of Far From Home, I would guess that it's going to be SWORD-centric. Marvel got the rights to SWORD back when Disney bought Fox. Of course it's also possible that one of the upcoming movies wraps up whatever sent him into outer space, and the show ends up being a more grounded Earth-based series.

As an aside, Agents of Shield trod a delicate and sometimes shaky line between trying to be connected with what was happening in the MCU and forging its own identity.
I dropped "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." once it was firmly established that the show existed in a different timeline than the main MCU; at that point, it felt like glorified fan fiction and I lost interest. At this point, I think the only Marvel Television show that is definitely canon in the MCU is "Agent Carter".

That being said, "WandaVision" and the Doctor Strange sequel seem to be diving into the idea of a Marvel multiverse, so they can snatch and grab any characters they want from previous iterations of Marvel properties and drop them into the main MCU continuity.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course it's also possible that one of the upcoming movies wraps up whatever sent him into outer space, and the show ends up being a more grounded Earth-based series.

I think that depends on how soon the show is supposed to start production and where it falls in the MCU continuity. I absolutely believe that Fury was left in space in order to facilitate his being in Captain Marvel 2. That seemed clear to me as soon as FFH revealed where he was. So, if this actually gets turned around quicker than Captain Marvel 2, it will probably stay in space. If Captain Marvel 2 comes out first and it makes sense to return him to Earth at the end of that film, then maybe it's on Earth.

Captain Marvel 2 currently has a release date of July 8, 2022. I would bet that it will jump forward to May 6, 2022, which was previously announced as being for Black Panther 2. I think that will probably move, because Ryan Coogler and his team are going to need time to mourn Chadwick Boseman, and then figure out how they want to move forward after that. So I'd bet that Carol will end up taking the prime May release date while they take their time figuring out what's next.

(Of course, these dates also assume that the virus has been dealt with to a degree that Disney is comfortable releasing the films on the schedule for prior to CM2. If they end up having to push the entire slate again, who knows when we will get anything?)

Therefore, the question is: how fast is the Nick Fury show going to come together and be shot, relative to when they are planning to do the next movie?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This is rumored to be a SWORD series that will possibly feature Captain Marvel as well (in some, likely minimal, capacity) and lead into Captain Marvel 2. And its rumored that this series and movie will adapt the Secret Invasion storyline.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
SecretInvasion_S01_001.jpg

They might have gotten off to a rocky start in Marvel Studios’ Captain Marvel, but now Nick Fury and Talos are back! Revealed during The Walt Disney Company’s 2020 Investor Day presentation by Kevin Feige, president, Marvel Studios, and chief creative officer, Marvel, Marvel Studios’ Secret Invasion, a new series coming to Disney+, has Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn reprising their roles as the former S.H.I.E.L.D. director and Skrull, respectively.

The crossover comic event series showcases a faction of shapeshifting Skrulls who have been infiltrating Earth for years.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This has to be centered around S.W.O.R.D., which I think was what we had a glimpse of at the end of Spider-Man Far From Home. Abigail Brand (the commanding officer of S.W.O.R.D. in the comics) may be introduced here as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised if (heck, I expect) this features several major players from the MCU and the story crosses over into the films (I’m looking at you, Captain Marvel 2).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Part of Disney's big news dump yesterday was revealing Secret Invasion as a series for Disney+ with Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn as Talos.

I am therefore going to assume that this is the same project previously reported as featuring Nick Fury and have therefore changed the title of this thread to reflect this new information.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Part of Disney's big news dump yesterday was revealing Secret Invasion as a series for Disney+ with Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn as Talos.

I am therefore going to assume that this is the same project previously reported as featuring Nick Fury and have therefore changed the title of this thread to reflect this new information.
Yes, without a doubt this is the same project that I speculated was going to be using S.W.O.R.D.

If Captain Marvel 2 will be released on November 11, 2022 I’d think that the Secret Invasion series will either be summer or early fall 2022. No guarantee, but it’s highly likely that will tie into CM2. Marvel isn’t treating these like previous “Marvel” shows that were basically MCU in name only. Some may be more standalone-ish, but many MCU storylines will weave between the feature films and these Disney+ series.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
many MCU storylines will weave between the feature films and these Disney+ series.

I agree. And I also absolutely agree that this is going to impact Captain Marvel in particular. I don't know much about Secret Wars because I don't read the comics, but what I do know is that it involves Skrulls on Earth, and so I figured that was where they were going with the next film.

It will certainly be rewarding for the fans who go back and forth. However, I think it's also important that the people who just turn up to see the latest movie at the theater on opening weekend without going deeper into the Disney+ shows should still be able to understand what is going on and get a complete arc from that movie. That's going to be a challenging needle for Marvel to thread.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I agree . And I also absolutely agree that this is going to impact Captain Marvel in particular. I don't know much about Secret Wars because I don't read the comics, but what I do know is that it involves Skrulls on Earth, and so I figured that was where they were going with the next film.

It will certainly be rewarding for the fans who go back and forth. However, I think it's also important that the people who just turn up to see the latest movie at the theater on opening weekend without going deeper into the Disney+ shows should still be able to understand what is going on and get a complete arc from that movie. That's going to be a challenging needle for Marvel to thread.
Absolutely. The stories weaving from the theatricals to D+ and back do need to be handled with finesse. Ideally, seeing all should enhance the story but not be required to understand what is going on in the story you’re watching. I think Feige will be able to thread that needle.

There may be a point though, like with Endgame, when they say “Fuck it, if you‘re watching this you should have seen most of the other stuff and we’re not spoon feeding it to you”. But I wouldn’t think that would be the norm from the start.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There may be a point though, like with Endgame, when they say “Fuck it, if you‘re watching this you should have seen most of the other stuff and we’re not spoon feeding it to you”. But I wouldn’t think that would be the norm from the start.

The thing is that Endgame was concluding 21 other films. It's reasonable to assume people who would want to see that would be familiar with at least most of the other films. As much as I'm sure Disney wants the series to be consequential and drive people to Disney+, which I'm sure they will, I also think they don't want to alienate moviegoers who don't pay for Disney+. Endgame wouldn't have become the #1 grossing film of all time if you had to also watch several different TV series to understand it. If anybody can thread the needle, Feige is the guy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't see it when I created this.

That's because I started it back when the trades reported that there was going to be a Nick Fury series before we knew it was Secret Invasion. So at that time I just called my thread Nick Fury as a placeholder title. Once Disney announced the actual name, I dug up my thread and changed the title to reflect the new information. I'm guessing that you started this thread sometime before I dug up the old one, and I didn't see that you had started one when I renamed mine. So we were both addressing the same issue in different ways.

In any case, I'm good with the threads being merged or just using one or the other. It's not really a big deal to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can the moderators merge this thread with the one @Jake Lipson previously started? I didn't see it when I created this.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/marvels-secret-invasion.369096/
That's because I started it back when the trades reported that there was going to be a Nick Fury series before we knew it was Secret Invasion. So at that time I just called my thread Nick Fury as a placeholder title. Once Disney announced the actual name, I dug up my thread and changed the title to reflect the new information. I'm guessing that you started this thread sometime before I dug up the old one, and I didn't see that you had started one when I renamed mine. So we were both addressing the same issue in different ways.

In any case, I'm good with the threads being merged or just using one or the other. It's not really a big deal to me.
Threads are merged!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks