What's new

Marvel's Iron Fist (Netflix) March 17, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
All thirteen episodes of "Marvel's Iron Fist" will go live on Netflix on March 17, 2017.

The latest Marvel/Netflix collaboration stars recent "Game of Thrones" victim Finn Jones as Daniel Rand, who wields the awesome power of the titular, fiery Iron Fist. Another "Game of Thrones" alum, Jessica Henwick co-stars as Colleen Wing, the proprietor of a local martial arts dojo. Her character was teased at the end of the recently released first season of "Marvel's Luke Cage".

David Wenham ("Top of the Lake"), Jessica Stroup ("90210") and Tom Pelphrey ("Banshee") also star. Carrie-Anne Moss reprises her "Jessica Jones" role as ruthless corporate lawyer Jeri Hogarth.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Good news! Anyone know if Simone Missick (who is terrific as Misty BTW) will be appearing in Iron Fist? Misty Knight is a major character in the Iron Fist mythology. (No, I haven't finished Luke Cage yet - only on episode 3.)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Good news! Anyone know if Simone Missick (who is terrific as Misty BTW) will be appearing in Iron Fist? Misty Knight is a major character in the Iron Fist mythology. (No, I haven't finished Luke Cage yet - only on episode 3.)

I'm not sure about Iron Fist. I think the answer is "no"? But I believe she is confirmed for The Defenders.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
First trailer:

Looks like it's going to satisfy fans of the martial arts genre. The glimpses we see point to an aesthetic rooted in glass skyscrapers, which is a nice contrast to the Hell's Kitchen of "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones" and Harlem as seen in "Luke Cage".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New promo photos (click to enlarge):
IronFist_S01_001.jpg
IronFist_S01_002.jpg
IronFist_S01_003.jpg
IronFist_S01_004.jpg
IronFist_S01_005.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Some more promo photos:
IronFist_S01_007.jpg
Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing

IronFist_S01_008.jpg
(L-R) Tom Pelphrey as Ward Meachum, Finn Jones as Daniel Rand, Jessica Stroup as Joy Meachum

IronFist_S01_009.jpg
(L-R) Carrie-Anne Moss as Jeri Hogarth, Finn Jones as Daniel Rand

And the key art:
IronFist_S01_006.png

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Trailer looks great. I see elements of Fox's "Gotham" in there, only (hopefully) done better. Glad to see we'll see K'un Lun.

Fingers crossed Agent Coulsen gets a cameo. (Clark Gregg has said Iron Fist was his favorite growing up and that he'd call in favors to get to meet the character on the show.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Looked very good. I really like how the clean, glassy, almost Dark Knight-esque production design and imagery contrasts with the other three Marvel/Netflix shows. The tone also seems lighter than the gothic Catholicism of "Daredevil", the bleak noir of "Jessica Jones" and the gritty street drama of "Luke Cage", and in the first scene Finn Jones seems to handle that lightness well. Also dug the few beats we got with Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing. We saw another packet of Madame Gao's heroin with the Steel Serpent symbol on it, so it seems likely that the show will be building off some of the groundwork that "Daredevil" laid.

Fingers crossed Agent Coulsen gets a cameo. (Clark Gregg has said Iron Fist was his favorite growing up and that he'd call in favors to get to meet the character on the show.)
The only problem with that is that none of the live-action properties outside "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." acknowledge that Agent Coulson is still alive.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Reviews starting to show up online:

http://mcuexchange.com/first-wave-iron-fist-reviews-surfaced-online/

They're a mixed bag at best, although I remember Daredevil season 2 not getting good reviews, but I thought it was terrific. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage also didn't get the stellar reviews that DD season 1 got, and I thought those were outstanding. I'll be glad for the chance to judge Iron Fist on its own merits.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Seems there are weirdly slanted negative takes on this over SJW cries of "white washing". Never mind that Danny Randy is, and always has been, white.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Indeed, "white washing" is technically the wrong term, if it's being used in this case. But the complaints I've read about are ultimately about a missed / ignored opportunity.

I'll still give the show a chance given Marvel's and Netflix's track record thus far, but I can't deny I'm a little weary of the narrative trope his origin story seems to travel, so I probably won't let some things slide. :)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Ive read some bad ones today, if they indeed made it too grounded Ill be quite irritated. Luke Cage was too tame at time for me, but this one had plenty of background to be WOW. According to one review there are basically no fights the first 6 episodes and its corporate maneuvering BS.

Oh well, at least Into the badlands comes back soon...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They're a mixed bag at best, although I remember Daredevil season 2 not getting good reviews, but I thought it was terrific. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage also didn't get the stellar reviews that DD season 1 got, and I thought those were outstanding. I'll be glad for the chance to judge Iron Fist on its own merits.
I remember excellent reviews for "Daredevil" S1 and "Jessica Jones" S1. The reviews for "Daredevil" S2 were also very good, though some reviewers thought it wasn't as good as S1. "Luke Cage" S1 also had overwhelmingly positive reviews (It's 96 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes).

Of the four series, this was the one I was most worried about, mainly because Scott Buck had the most worrisome resume going into this. But like you, my immense enjoyment of the other Netflix/Marvel collaborations has earned the a resorvoir of good will that means I'll be giving this a shot on its own merits, reviews be damned.

Hopefully Finn Jones and Jessica Henwick are at least good in their roles. If the casting's good, but the season isn't, they can get a better showrunner for season two and tell a more interesting story.

Indeed, "white washing" is technically the wrong term, if it's being used in this case. But the complaints I've read about are ultimately about a missed / ignored opportunity.
It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, having a white character become the unparalleled master of an Asian martial art is inherently problematic, and says a lot about white privileged in the 1970s when the character was created. On the other hand, saying that only Asian actors can play martial arts characters is also problematic. I would have been fine if they'd made Danny Asian for the show, and I was fine with them keeping the character white. Arguably it was more problematic to cast a half-Chinese/half-English actress as an ethnically Japanese character.

At the end of the day, though, either the choices will work or they won't.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Those reviews really are a mixed bag. I am still looking forward to checking it out next week.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Anecdotal evidence at best, but the word of mouth from people who have already watched some of the show is very good (judging by Facebook comments in MCU Exchange, etc.). Some people are 6 hours in already. I'm planning to watch the first episode (and only the first) tonight.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I have seen 3 and I am enjoying it so far. I like the characters and story so far and the action has been pretty solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrhaque-19
Recent bookmarks