What's new

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY Vol. 2: May 5th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I took a look next year's release schedule and Guardians comes out on May 5 and the next 'blockbuster' is Pirates Of The Caribbean three weeks later on Memorial Day so it's got most of the month to itself. (Pirates isn't what it was in the U.S. but it'll still be a massive hit internationally.)

As an aside, 2017 has some pretty big movies- Guardians, Pirates, Cars 3, Transformers Part 17, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man, Justice League and Star Wars will all be making tons of dough.

Something there is going to underperform.

I think Pirates is a possible candidate for that; there was a time when having the name "Johnny Depp" was a license to print money, and then it started becoming apparent that the asterisk to that was only in Disney franchise movies, and then Alice 2 flopped hard. I think the first Alice massively overperformed so it was probably not as giant a correction as it seemed, but if they were genuinely expecting another billion, they must be disappointed. I saw the first teaser for Pirates before either Doctor Strange or Fantastic Beasts, sold out crowd, and it didn't get any response from the audience, no cheers or reaction or anything - that said, I don't recall Depp even being in the teaser, so maybe it was just the wrong piece of footage, and not an indication of people's feelings about the new film.

The Transformers movies seem to get longer with each new installment, and less well-received critically or by audiences. I've seen every one except the first one, which is the one my friends tell me was actually good. We're all stuck in this cycle of seeing them for some bizarre reason, where it doesn't seem anyone actually going to them is loving them, but we're all going anyway. At some point, that can't last forever; they'll either need to make the movies a little bit better (or at least stop making each one worst than the last), and probably need to cut the bloat. Each one is about 15 minutes longer than the previous one and the last one was about ten or fifteen minutes shy of three hours; at some point, a three hour Transformers movie that no one really asked for will underperform.

Cars 3 will probably do less than Cars 2, and doesn't seem like a strong or beloved franchise, but people are amused by them, and generally not being offended by something and then being amused by it are decent first steps to summer megabucks. It's Pixar. They used to be bulletproof just on the name alone, but if nothing else, The Good Dinosaur proved that it's not enough to just slap a "Pixar" label on a movie and count the money. I didn't see The Good Dinosaur and maybe it's great, but my point is that just because it's Pixar doesn't automatically mean it'll be a #1 smash.

Despicable Me is probably as safe and sure a bet as you can get right now; people love their minions. I think eventually they'll hit a wall there, but I liked the second movie more than the first, and I'm finding a lot of people felt that way. That sort of thing builds up enormous goodwill for future sequels.

And I think Spider-Man will do fine. It may not exceed the numbers of Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which actually had a huge opening, it just fell off a cliff once people saw the final product and didn't recommend it to anyone), but the ASM2 opening was in line with a typical Marvel movie opening. And I think people will react very favorably to Robert Downey Jr. being in it. People won't pay to read Downey read the phone book (not many people saw his non-franchise picture "The Judge" which he had high hopes for), but they will pay big bugs to see Downey-as-Tony-Stark reading the phone book. I was probably gonna be seeing it anyway, but Spidey isn't one of my favorite superheroes. I didn't like the Raimi movies, I think the Garfield ones had more potential but didn't delivery on any of it, and I would have been fine if we didn't see Spider-Man for a long time after those. But make it part of the MCU, and all of a sudden I have to care, because it's not really a Spidey movie anymore, it's just another episode of the Marvel Movie Show that comes out two or three times a year.

Long rant without a point. Should be an interesting summer! I wish Episode VIII had kept its original date.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cars 3 will probably do less than Cars 2, and doesn't seem like a strong or beloved franchise, but people are amused by them, and generally not being offended by something and then being amused by it are decent first steps to summer megabucks. It's Pixar. They used to be bulletproof just on the name alone, but if nothing else, The Good Dinosaur proved that it's not enough to just slap a "Pixar" label on a movie and count the money. I didn't see The Good Dinosaur and maybe it's great, but my point is that just because it's Pixar doesn't automatically mean it'll be a #1 smash.
Kids love the Cars movies so while there's no danger of it reaching Finding Dory level of success, it'll still make money. The real money for Cars is in the merchandise. Cars toys are so gigantically profitable that, at a corporate level, the movie is probably an afterthought and more an excuse to make new toys. The movie could literally make $0 and the merchandise would still easily make it worth the cost.

I agree that Pirates won't do great in the U.S. but I still think it'll be a sizable hit in most other places around the world. Depp is like Tom Cruise now, American audiences might be getting bored by them but international audiences still love them.

Last edited:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
That was very entertaining. I hope the movie is as good as it looks. I'll probably see this more than once in the theater.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great teaser trailer. It really puts the franchise's biggest selling point front and center: the characters. Bradley Cooper continues to do great vocal work as Rocket.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Really looking forward to this.

Loved the first one, hopefully Vol. 2 will turn out as well.

Seems like the second film usually works out. But if they try and milk it for parts 3 and 4, like the Alien films, Superman, Jurassic Park, etc., not a good situation. Jurassic Park failed horribly with part 2 & 3, but did redeem itself with Jurassic World, didn't follow the pattern. Alien and Aliens are probably two of my favorite films, but the follow-ups were awful.

Although Terminator 3 was pretty decent, so occasionally they do succeed.

GOTG seems like a guaranteed winner for a second film, but you never know. Producers, directors, writers, etc. can take a great story and totally screw it up. #1 was successful, we can put out garbage for #2 and make tons of money before people realize how bad it is.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
From James Gunn's Facebook page:

Holy crap! With 81 million views in its first 24 hours, the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Teaser Trailer is the SECOND BIGGEST TEASER TRAILER EVER (after Beauty and the Beast), and the biggest Marvel Studios Teaser ever! No kidding - I'm, like, floored. Thank all of you so very much for watching it (more than once), and sharing it, and welcoming Baby Groot and Mantis with open arms. Thanks for all your amazing reactions (including your reaction videos, which Jennifer Holland and I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning watching the other night). Thanks to the wonderful folks at CCXP in Brazil where we debuted the trailer. And finally (yes, I know, it's starting to become like I'm accepting an award - sorry BUT) HUGE THANKS to the smart and kind marketing folks at Marvel and Disney who put up with all my eccentricities during the teaser editing process. Honestly. You guys can't imagine what they deal with. I'm a maniac. Now they're gonna have to deal with it again as we prep the FULL TRAILER...

And even more so as we finish up the MOVIE...

Oh - and the icing on the cake - "Fox on the Run" by Sweet, the song used in the teaser, rose to number one on the iTunes Rock Chart!

Did I mention we debuted on a Saturday when you're NEVER EVER supposed to debut anything?

HAVE A GREAT WEEK and feel free to post your favorite #GotGVol2 Teaser memes below! So many good ones.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Disney needs to put out a Cars movie every few years in order to introduce the characters to a new group of toy-buying kids.

Seriously, Cars toys have raked in BILLIONS OF DOLLARS (many of them from me). It's insane.

But hey, I liked Cars 2. :)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Marvel released this still today.

image.jpeg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The more I read from James Gunn, the more I like him.

To be honest, when I was first working on the script for Vol. 2 I was planning on it being years after the first movie and for little Groot to be a grown Groot. But there was something missing. First of all, I thought there was a lot of development the group needed to go through as a group - and it would be a shame for the audience to miss it. And, secondly, for whatever reason, Groot just wasn't working. It was then I came upon the idea of having Vol. 2 take place very shortly after the first film and for Groot to still be Baby Groot, with quite a lot to learn. Even though I had already long-ago-decided on the other characters involved, this change opened up the whole movie for me and it suddenly all came together. I fell in love with the script for Vol. 2, and I felt like we were creating something very special.

When I approached Marvel Studios with my idea for Vol. 2 I was afraid of the involvement of Ego the Living Planet - a rather, uh, broad character in the 616 universe of Marvel Comics. I was afraid of the inclusion of Mantis and Ayesha, and more prominent roles for Nebula and Yondu. But I was even more afraid of approaching them with the concept that Baby Groot, and not Groot, would be a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Yes, perhaps it seems like a hole-in-one idea now, but Groot was the most popular character in the first film, and sometimes when something works studios are more than a little reluctant to change.

To my happy surprise, my partners at Marvel were more than supportive about the big swings in the story of Vol. 2. They seemed to instinctively know, like I did, that what matters in the Guardians franchise is to keep giving people the unexpected...

All that said, I'm not an idiot. I knew if Baby Groot worked, the world would want Baby Groot toys and figures and plushies. But that certainly didn't seem like a certainty when I was alone in my office conceiving of a story, and it most definitely was not the driving force of the decision. I, like so many of you through the trailer alone, had fallen in love with the little dude - even though at that point he was only in my head.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Kids love the Cars movies so while there's no danger of it reaching Finding Dory level of success, it'll still make money. The real money for Cars is in the merchandise. Cars toys are so gigantically profitable that, at a corporate level, the movie is probably an afterthought and more an excuse to make new toys. The movie could literally make $0 and the merchandise would still easily make it worth the cost.

I agree that Pirates won't do great in the U.S. but I still think it'll be a sizable hit in most other places around the world. Depp is like Tom Cruise now, American audiences might be getting bored by them but international audiences still love them.

My wife and I saw the first "Pirates Of The Caribbean" movie and thought it was probably the most idiotic film we ever saw. Some how we were cajoled into seeing the second one which was supposed to be better. We almost left half way. I would have to be tied up with a gun to my head to see another one. How these movies have been successful is totally beyond me. I think Mr. Depp must have sold his soul to the devil for his success. It must be just about time for the devil to collect.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Guardians of the Galaxy is hands down my favorite MCU movie. Civil War is a whisker behind, but more for the set pieces than the movie in toto, whereas Guardians is an absolute blast from start to finish. The sequel scored a perfect 100 in an early test screening, although you have to take it with some grains of salt because it was a Disney friends and family screening and not a public one. After seeing the trailers, GotG Vol 2 is THE movie I want to see most.

https://moviepilot.com/p/guardains-of-the-galaxy-2-will-be-best-mcu-movie/4207213

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I don't need a trailer. I don't need a poster. I don't need a cardboard stand-in. I don't need a soundtrack. I don't need a Funko toy. I don't need a Rocket Raccoon hoodie. I don't need a smartphone game. I don't need Gamora nipple clamps.

I don't need anything other than a note telling me where its playing in 3-D.

(And I actually do need the soundtrack. And maybe the clamps.)

4b545.jpg

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't need no party, don't need no disco, don't need no foolin' around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks