What's new

Marvel's GUARDIANS of the GALAXY Vol. 2: May 5th, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thx for the teaser spot SamT....was a fun movie. Didnt care for the villain in part 1 but otherwise just a hoot of a movie.

Can't wait.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Based on the good will from the first movie and the look and feel of this trailer, this movie is gonna be a smash!

Come on May!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, I don't even know what's coming out next summer but I can't imagine anything even has a chance at being as big as this movie will be.

I think it'll definitely break a billion. The first one did over 700M and I'm sure it picked up more fans on video. This trailer just looks so damn fun. And in this case, I think the movie will be as well.

They really don't need anything more than this. They could go with just this one trailer (and that first teaser) and be good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Call me contrarian, but I think this one has a chance to come in under the original's box office. When the original film opened up, it came out at the very beginning of August - the summer movie season was basically over, and it had the box office to itself. The original proved that release dates don't really matter, and that if it's a good movie, people will see it; but I think it also proved that if you open up a title like this that might not on the surface appeal to everyone, more people will give it a shot if there's nothing else going on.

So much like Warner and the Lego Movie, which learned the same valuable lesson earlier that same year, the sequel instead gets moved to a traditionally busy date, where it will be facing lots of competition not only on that release date, but on the weeks to come.

The original Guardians got four weeks in IMAX because of its late summer release; this one will get one week, two tops. There will be similar time crunches for all of the highest quality theaters and screens in general.

Heck, I could be wrong. It could be the biggest movie of the summer and exceed the box office opening and totals of the original. But I think the studio's choice of release date could limit its staying power, which could limit the total box office.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Love the new trailer. I think a lot of people are anxiously awaiting this one -- I know I am (and so are my kids)!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Call me contrarian, but I think this one has a chance to come in under the original's box office. When the original film opened up, it came out at the very beginning of August - the summer movie season was basically over, and it had the box office to itself. The original proved that release dates don't really matter, and that if it's a good movie, people will see it; but I think it also proved that if you open up a title like this that might not on the surface appeal to everyone, more people will give it a shot if there's nothing else going on.

So much like Warner and the Lego Movie, which learned the same valuable lesson earlier that same year, the sequel instead gets moved to a traditionally busy date, where it will be facing lots of competition not only on that release date, but on the weeks to come.

The original Guardians got four weeks in IMAX because of its late summer release; this one will get one week, two tops. There will be similar time crunches for all of the highest quality theaters and screens in general.

Heck, I could be wrong. It could be the biggest movie of the summer and exceed the box office opening and totals of the original. But I think the studio's choice of release date could limit its staying power, which could limit the total box office.

No-Chance-In-Hell

And I'll happily wager 50 bucks on that.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not the betting kind of guy - but I never would have imagined that Avengers: Age Of Ultron would have come in under the original Avengers. I don't think it's as good of a movie, but that doesn't really matter as much. Avengers 1 did such huge business, and then every Marvel character who appeared in it got a bump on their solo movie grosses, so I figured Avengers 2 would have beaten the first one. Don't get me wrong, I expect GOTG2 to be one of the big hits of 2017, the question for me is, does it come in at about the same as its predecessor, maybe a tiny bit less for the reasons I speculated, or does it jump into Avengers box office territory where a billion dollars is a possibility?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not the betting kind of guy - but I never would have imagined that Avengers: Age Of Ultron would have come in under the original Avengers. I don't think it's as good of a movie, but that doesn't really matter as much. Avengers 1 did such huge business, and then every Marvel character who appeared in it got a bump on their solo movie grosses, so I figured Avengers 2 would have beaten the first one. Don't get me wrong, I expect GOTG2 to be one of the big hits of 2017, the question for me is, does it come in at about the same as its predecessor, maybe a tiny bit less for the reasons I speculated, or does it jump into Avengers box office territory where a billion dollars is a possibility?

Certainly based on past observations, anything is possible. But the thing with Avengers is that the first one made SO much that it is (I think) kind of a different thing when the second one didn't make as much. But that was 1.5B v 1.4B. Hell, Infinity War could wind up being an Avengers film of the same quality as Winter Soldier and Civil War and still not crack 1.5B. That's simply a really high bar.

But GotG only did 773M. A great take, but not at the level that is difficult to repeat. Now, depending on quality and word of mouth I think 1B isn't necessarily a given, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it hit that, and I'm actually expecting that it'll be at least close. But I think it would have to turn out to be a complete disaster for it to not exceed the first one.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
BTW, I liked James Gunn's comment when he posted the trailer on Facebook:

Surprise!! First Official Teaser Trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. It’s my favorite movie ever, and I hope it will soon be yours. Let's all am Groot it in May, 2017. Enjoy and share, my friends.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But GotG only did 773M. A great take, but not at the level that is difficult to repeat. Now, depending on quality and word of mouth I think 1B isn't necessarily a given, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it hit that, and I'm actually expecting that it'll be at least close. But I think it would have to turn out to be a complete disaster for it to not exceed the first one.

Well, when you put it like that.... I was remembering the GOTG take being a bit higher than that. $773M seems doable - I guess there's a minor question of whether or not it was a fluke (large percentages of the population claim to dislike science-fiction and space movies, but for the movie to do as well as it did, some of them had to see it anyway), but in general, the Marvel numbers seem pretty stable. I was thinking that Guardians did $900 million and that to me seems not guaranteed to exceed, but $773 seems more doable.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I took a look next year's release schedule and Guardians comes out on May 5 and the next 'blockbuster' is Pirates Of The Caribbean three weeks later on Memorial Day so it's got most of the month to itself. (Pirates isn't what it was in the U.S. but it'll still be a massive hit internationally.)

As an aside, 2017 has some pretty big movies- Guardians, Pirates, Cars 3, Transformers Part 17, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man, Justice League and Star Wars will all be making tons of dough.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, when you put it like that.... I was remembering the GOTG take being a bit higher than that. $773M seems doable - I guess there's a minor question of whether or not it was a fluke (large percentages of the population claim to dislike science-fiction and space movies, but for the movie to do as well as it did, some of them had to see it anyway), but in general, the Marvel numbers seem pretty stable. I was thinking that Guardians did $900 million and that to me seems not guaranteed to exceed, but $773 seems more doable.

Plus, I think it is a given that Disney will attach this to Rouge One. So it'll be advertised to a huge market of Sci-Fi fans. I haven't been following the box office tracking for that, but I think the audience will be pretty significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks